Anyone here eat oysters?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Uh, huh... Important enzymes, eh? Ones that miraculously survive digestion? I think you might mean cofactors, but you used the term enzymes, which makes me further believe you don't actually know what you are talking about... There is no nutrient so essential that cooking meat will cause you to lose all sources of it.

". . . you don't actually know what you are talking about . . ." I only know what I read. There are 'digestive' enzymes in raw food which help our bodies digest it. When we cook, the high temperature destroys them, just as enzymes in milk are destroyed by pasteurizing. If you are so well informed about nutrition, please write something that will let me correct my miscomprehension, rather than simply saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

Maybe you are thinking about coenzymes, which are actually vitamins. For some unknown reason, coenzyme Q10 is not referred to as a vitamin, but rather CoQ10.

• Reply 22 of 37
    Oh dear god people, for the benefit of anyone who runs across this thread...

- Raw oysters should only be eaten in months ending in R -- September through December. They're out of season in February!

- Oysters SHOULD be hard to open -- that means they're still alive! Justin mentioned that the temperature made them easier to open -- no, that means they died while you were looking for something to pry them open with.

- I have no idea what that guy was going on about with the oyster shucker looking like a "letter opener on steroids." A proper oyster knife looks like this:

- Oysters need to be eaten IMMEDIATELY after being taken out of the refrigerator. Justin's gastrointestinal distress was likely caused by leaving them out to spoil while he was rifling through his kitchen drawers.

If you don't know the proper means of eating a raw food item, either learn what you're doing first or let the professionals do it for you. And for goodness sakes; don't go eating raw oysters until September, please.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    And if you do decide to do it properly --

The purist's method is to simply crack open the shell, and cut the tendon that keeps the meat of the oyster attached to the shell. Then just slurp it down. It's the best way to get the taste of the oyster, and lets you taste the liquor -- the briny water that's floating in the oyster's shell.

If your oysters aren't in season or just aren't the greatest quality, mix up your own cocktail sauce by adding horseradish to ketchup in whatever proportions suit you. Use a shellfish fork to dip the oyster meat into the sauce, then eat off the fork, or put it on a saltine cracker. You can also squeeze fresh lemon onto the oysters to enhance the flavor.

Oysters on saltines with horseradish and lemon is what we call the "preschool" method down here.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I frequently eat raw salmon, which is caught and then frozen while still on the ship. (According to the store literature.) I thaw the salmon in a bowl of water, to which I add ten drops of GSE, grapefruit seed extract. GSE kills any bacteria. Never have been sick from it. Raw foods contain important enzymes that are lost in cooking.

I wouldn't recommend eating anything raw but ocean fish. There is a difference between the bacteria in saltwater and freshwater creatures.

Also, if you don't know about GSE, it is one of the most useful things to keep around the house, or to take with you camping or traveling in uncivilized areas. Ten drops to a gallon will kill bacteria from mountain stream water, for example. If you get amoebic dysentery or food poising, drink a glasses of water with 15 drops of GSE added, several times a day, or until symptoms disappear. It is very bitter, but you can add a sweetener like stevia.

A number of medications should not be taken with grapefruit juice itself. These include certain immunosuppressants, cholesterol-lowering drugs, and antihistamines - if in doubt consult a physician.

from wikipedia:

Grapefruit can have a number of interactions with drugs, often increasing the effective potency of compounds. Grapefruit contains naringin and bergamottin, which inhibit the cytochrome P450 isoform CYP3A4 in the liver. It is via inhibition of this enzyme that grapefruit increases the effects of buspirone (Buspar), caffeine, several statin drugs (such as simvastatin), terfenadine, felodipine, nifedipine, verapamil, estradiol, tacrolimus, dextromethorphan (significant only at recreational doses), benzodiazepines, and ciclosporin.[4] Hence, this effect was only discovered after being responsible for a number of deaths due to overdosing on medication.

Anyway, you shuck oysters with an oyster knife:

and the very best oysters I have ever tasted were raw Sydney Bay oysters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post

And for goodness sakes; don't go eating raw oysters until September, please.

So would that be Feb-June in the southern hemisphere, I guess? What about equitorial oysters, is there such a thing and do you avoid them

at all times in the year?
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:

". . . you don't actually know what you are talking about . . ." I only know what I read. There are 'digestive' enzymes in raw food which help our bodies digest it. When we cook, the high temperature destroys them, just as enzymes in milk are destroyed by pasteurizing. If you are so well informed about nutrition, please write something that will let me correct my miscomprehension, rather than simply saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

Maybe you are thinking about coenzymes, which are actually vitamins. For some unknown reason, coenzyme Q10 is not referred to as a vitamin, but rather CoQ10.

Enzymes in food do not survive digestion. They don't assist digestion. Those that survive the acid in the stomach are proteolyzed in the gut. Ubiquinone (Q10) is not a vitamin. We get all of the q10 we need from bacteria in our digestive track. Vitamins are essential nutrients that are needed outside of what our body (including the bacteria) can supply...
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

- I have no idea what that guy was going on about with the oyster shucker looking like a "letter opener on steroids." A proper oyster knife looks like this:

Look at e#'s image and tell me that doesn't look like a beefed up letter opener... you don't actually need a blade on the shucker. We had weekly oyster roasts where I grew up, so really, take your holier than thou attitude and suck on it...
  • Reply 27 of 37
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

Oh dear god people, for the benefit of anyone who runs across this thread...

- Raw oysters should only be eaten in months ending in R -- September through December. They're out of season in February!

- Oysters SHOULD be hard to open -- that means they're still alive! Justin mentioned that the temperature made them easier to open -- no, that means they died while you were looking for something to pry them open with.

- Oysters need to be eaten IMMEDIATELY after being taken out of the refrigerator. Justin's gastrointestinal distress was likely caused by leaving them out to spoil while he was rifling through his kitchen drawers.

If you don't know the proper means of eating a raw food item, either learn what you're doing first or let the professionals do it for you. And for goodness sakes; don't go eating raw oysters until September, please.

That about sums it up nicely. And I'm feeling better now

The supermarket counterstaff reassured me it was dead easy.

Eheh.

Soaking them in salted water to coax them open didn't help (they weren't fooled). Then came the first 'hammer' experiment which went badly wrong after too much force was applied. Wasted another 30 minutes.

Are they out of season in the States? Or is it possible that they're in season in winter over here in the UK?

Besides, I've moved over to dried fruit at the moment - it seems to be easier to access..
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

A number of medications should not be taken with grapefruit juice itself. These include certain immunosuppressants, cholesterol-lowering drugs, and antihistamines - if in doubt consult a physician.

from wikipedia:

Grapefruit can have a number of interactions with drugs, often increasing the effective potency of compounds. . .

Grapefruit is something to avoid, especially for men. It affects hormones. Also, I avoid any drugs, but prefer natural approaches to healing and keeping well. I guess it works. I was sick only once in the last 10 years, a minor, one day bout with the flu with a 99.5 degree fever. The net result was that I got a little extra sleep.

Back to GSE, which is not grapefruit, but an extract from the seed and pulp I believe. You can find more information on Google, searching 'grapefruit seed extract.' Wikipedia takes a dim view of it, but I know first hand that it works very well.

• Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Enzymes in food do not survive digestion. They don't assist digestion. Those that survive the acid in the stomach are proteolyzed in the gut.

As I said before, I only know what I read. Do you have any reference links I can read? Your view is different from most of what I read so far. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about raw food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_food_diet

Quote:

Ubiquinone (Q10) is not a vitamin. We get all of the q10 we need from bacteria in our digestive track.

I have not read that bacteria produces Q10, so that is new information. Regarding whether it is a vitamin or not, the answer seems to be 'sometimes.' Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Ubiquinone being a vitamin:

Quote:

"Young people are able to make Q10 from the lower numbered ubiquinones such as Q6 or Q8. The sick and elderly may not be able to make enough, thus Q10 becomes a vitamin later in life and in illness."

• Reply 30 of 37
    Okay, I'm not quite sure about LIVE oysters, but raw oysters are really really good.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

As I said before, I only know what I read. Do you have any reference links I can read? Your view is different from most of what I read so far. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about raw food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_food_diet

I have not read that bacteria produces Q10, so that is new information. Regarding whether it is a vitamin or not, the answer seems to be 'sometimes.' Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Ubiquinone being a vitamin:

You cite an article from wiki, a questionable source for such specific information to begin with, that talks about the BELIEFS of people who eat raw food. Beliefs.

This article attempts to be balanced but lays out the fact that the raw food benefits you cite are essentially bullshit; the only scientific benefits are associated with the lower fat and salt consumption that comes with many raw only diets, the rest are all placebo-like 'feel-good' that wear off...
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

You cite an article from wiki, a questionable source for such specific information to begin with, that talks about the BELIEFS of people who eat raw food. Beliefs.

I thought the Wikipedia page was fairly balance. It did talk about beliefs in the section on background, but also discussed research. Some of the beliefs are of course invalid, but many were shown to be correct.

Quote:

This article attempts to be balanced but lays out the fact that the raw food benefits you cite are essentially bullshit . . .

Thank you for that link. I thought the article was quite good. Strange how I got an entirely different impression of what was said. Anyone reading this thread and interested in nutrition should read this article, and make up their own mind what it says. What I appreciate is the balance approach they take. Raw foods have benefits, but must be approached with some caution. I think that is the bottom line.

We are very selective what we eat raw. Salt water fish, fruits, nuts, and a few vegetables. We did drink raw milk, but it was banned in Oregon by some over zealous health officials. BTW, if you live in a state that permits raw milk, I would add twelve drops of GSE to each gallon to eliminate contamination, which would be rare, but I lean to the cautious side.

Most vegetables need to be steamed to break down the cellulose, I think it's called, so it can be digested easily. We don't have a stomach like a cow. Also, cooking can eliminate toxic effects of certain plants, like rhubarb and to a lesser extent garlic and onions.

Don't even think about eating any meat raw, except salt water fish.

FYI, the rest of our diet is what we do not eat, or eat in small amounts: starchy vegetables, grains and grain products, refined sugar, all supermarket oils, except virgin olive oil. We also add flax seed oil and fish oil to our diet.

Quote:

. . . the only scientific benefits are associated with the lower fat and salt consumption that comes with many raw only diets, the rest are all placebo-like 'feel-good' that wear off . . .

I've been on a diet like this for a long time. I definitely feel good, and it has not worn off in over ten years now. I must be due for a big crash any time now, right?

• Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

Look at e#'s image and tell me that doesn't look like a beefed up letter opener... you don't actually need a blade on the shucker. We had weekly oyster roasts where I grew up, so really, take your holier than thou attitude and suck on it...

Yes, you do, because with raw oysters, you have to be able to cut the tendon that connects the meat to the shell. I guess you wouldn't know that, though, since your oysters obviously weren't good enough to be eaten raw. How's that for holier than thou? :P
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

So would that be Feb-June in the southern hemisphere, I guess? What about equitorial oysters, is there such a thing and do you avoid them

at all times in the year?

Sorry, sometimes I forget. The "months ending in R" thing is an easy way for us up here to remember, but the rule is to eat them in the fall, as that's when they're of the highest quality. It's not that out-of-season oysters will make you ill, necessarily, but if you're eating them raw you want them to be as tasy as possible, as you won't have much of anything to mask the flavor.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

You need a proper oyster shucker.

It looks like a letter opener on steroids...

That's it, beware to not cut your hand with this terrible device
  • Reply 36 of 37
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Well, hell. I was going to set you all straight but e#s did it but good. I always used a pocket knife. The short blade on a Swiss Army knife works fine. Cut the meat on the outside of the hinge, then pry that bastard open on the other side and slurp it down.

If it opens easily, chuck it.

When I was a kid, my family used to vacation on the coast and we'd wander around the bay shucking oysters.... Man. Making me nostalgic.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zachary Hinchliffe View Post

Okay, I'm not quite sure about LIVE oysters, but raw oysters are really really good.

If you eat raw, eat living oyster. I always check if a raw oyster is still alive. Otherwise you can be very sick.

Testing them is quite simple, with a fork, you touch the peripheria of the inside of the oyster very smoothly, and you watch. If there is a small retractation : then it's good