Latest Mac OS X 10.4.9 seed patches Bluetooth, DVD burning bugs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Seriously, when I was in Australia the past six months I was staying in a vegetarian (cultural/ religious) household. Only had a few burgers or BBQs every now and then when I was out and about.

At the moment in SaunaCity now I've been eating various meats every day in my meals. Feeling more agressive, actually. Well, need a bit of some violent shooting computer game stuff to burn off excess agro*...

Sadly, or maybe not (??!!) the only games I enjoy now are PC games, GOOD AESTHETIC graphics, 1280x1024 16XAF 2XAA HDR-esque etc with a vivid/ pleasing/ engaging "look and feel" (I do NOT like the Quake4 engine, but Source is beaaautiful especially now with "HDR"), FEAR engine is alright too, I wonder about UT2007 engine, need to get a hold on a game using that engine.....

But my point was, driving fast or running around shooting stuff. YEAH. I lasted 6 months without playing any computer games. It is a reasonable distraction, quick enough, just half an hour or an hour per day, instead of watching TV, heck, it's allright eh?

But yeah, driving fast or running around shooting and killing stuff. Can't play those click here move there attack that check this screen close screen select team member give directions move slowly look around corner, sneak up, kill, check screen close screen move there attack that etc etc etc...

* http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/agro
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Well, that's all nice. But then do you have to walk 10 different people into updating their system? Or waste your own time doing it for them? Or just not do it and don't care. Its just a conundrum, because you're told to use non-admin accounts for security purposes, but if you use just those, you never get the security patches apple posts (then again, its not apple who tells you to use non-admin accounts, since they default to it).

Personally I'd rather have the option to know about the update. Hell, I'd like to have the option that windoze has and just let the freakin' thing install on its own. Then you can have your users all up-to-date and secure without having to spend the time to do the update yourself.

Then again, iTunes will tell you there's an update available, even if you don't have permissions to install it.

BTW, on a side note. Does any of the users of your macs you manage have an iPod? And, if so, have they ever needed to just restore the thing because its acting up? Because, oddly enough, you can't restore an iPod unless you have an administrator username/password. Ah, the joys of non-admin accounts.

Ah, I guess that's the difference between you and me (besides the fact that you think someone must be lazy because they don't want to, or can't remember to, run a manual check for updates). I'd rather do work on my computer, or play games, or do something other than wonder whether or not I need to run some maintnenace scripts, or check for an update, or anything along those lines. You know, some people think computers should be easy to use and not force themselves onto your lives (hey, its why you use a mac, right?).

Glad you're not administrating "real setups" like Windoze stuff...
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:

Well, that's all nice. But then do you have to walk 10 different people into updating their system?

I use Apple Remote Desktop. I download the update once, not ten times, which I then schedule to install when no one is using the computers and they restart themselves, ready to go when the user comes back to work in the morning. Easy as can be. If I didn't have ARD, I still wouldn't have to go to each computer. I'd SSH into each computer and check for available updates using softwareupdate -l, which would list the available updates. Then I'd install the update(s) using sudo softwareupdate -i updatename. Not as easy, but free.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:

You know, some people think computers should be easy to use and not force themselves onto your lives (hey, its why you use a mac, right?).

Do think cars are just for driving. Why should you be bothered with putting gas in the tank, or changing the oil, or rotating the tires, etc. Computers, like most things (cars, furnaces, fine clothing, houses, etc), require maintenance.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fahlman View Post

Do think cars are just for driving. Why should you be bothered with putting gas in the tank, or changing the oil, or rotating the tires, etc. Computers, like most things (cars, furnaces, fine clothing, houses, etc), require maintenance.

Wow, a stupid car analogy! Hey, I've got electronics all throughout my house, and the only thing that requires maintenance is the computer. All your other examples are completely different beasts. (yes, let's compare a computer with a car, which has tons of moving parts, requires explicit attention to use, and can kill you or a lot of others if not used correctly. Unless your sticking your tongue into your power supply, or swinging the macbook around, that you can strike someone dead. Houses are $$$ investments that you expect to put time and effort into them (you don't expect your computer to appreciate in value in 5 years, nor do you hope to get some idiot to overpay for it at that time either).

And I don't even want to know what kind of maintenance you need on your clothes.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

As for me, I'd rather they issued smaller bug fixes as they were done, rather than just conglom them into one big release which is more likely to cause all sorts of issues on install. There's no reason why walshbj should have to wait for his headset fix just because there's a problem with some other areas. Or why should those like Shookster wait for a fix on his CD recording bug (if it were to be fixed, that is) because some guy at Apple can't figure out why bluetooth handsets keep disconnecting.

OS X has integrated into it all these disparate pieces which, in a well-designed system, would be independent of each other. That, then, should allow them to be released piece-meal.

But this is just Apple being Apple, releasing things en masse because it thinks its simpler for users (apparently they think very little of their user base).

On another update point, I'd love it if OS X could actually tell me when an update was available when I'm logged into a non-admin account. When I logged in as an admin over the weekend to install some apps, only then did AutoUpdate tell me there was a slew of files to install (actually some dating to January - gee, hope they weren't important security fixes in there).

As it is, business, and institutional users, are unhappy that Apple releases these updates as OFTEN as they do. It makes maintenance much more time consuming, and expensive.

Numerous times over the years, I've heard, and read, of complaints from managers that they would prefer that Apple do it the way MS does, with service packs around once a year or so, unless there is something glaring, or it involves security.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Hey Sunil, where is SaunaCity?
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Currently I cannot write multisession dvds with my c2d mbp.

Does this update fix this problem?

And please, I looked to apple.com, where are these updates? I did not found them.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Then I'd install the update(s) using sudo softwareupdate -i updatename. Not as easy, but free.

sudo softwareupdate -i -a
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:

Hey, I've got electronics all throughout my house, and the only thing that requires maintenance is the computer..

OT: Which is why I don't get the media center in your living room idea.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As it is, business, and institutional users, are unhappy that Apple releases these updates as OFTEN as they do. It makes maintenance much more time consuming, and expensive.

Numerous times over the years, I've heard, and read, of complaints from managers that they would prefer that Apple do it the way MS does, with service packs around once a year or so, unless there is something glaring, or it involves security.

10.4.9 fixes over 100 bugs. Do anyone really want to have 100 updates over 2-3 months?
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Hey Sunil, where is SaunaCity?

Not telling. Need to keep low profile here in Sauna City for the time being. 8)

I've left Australia though.... for now.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

sudo softwareupdate -i -a

All. Got me. Or -r will install the required updates.

The other option is to allow a VNC viewer to access ARD.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

And I don't even want to know what kind of maintenance you need on your clothes.

I wash mine. I get the expensive ones dry cleaned and pressed. I have to sew on buttons when they become loose. I get suit pants hemmed to the proper length, etc.

You know and I know and everyone here knows that computer software require updates. You argue just to be difficult. You're like my 6 year old.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Please give me a url to download these updates. I did software update from apple menu but I cannot see them.

Am I doing something wrong?
  • Reply 36 of 58
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

You probably could've found this yourself...
  • Reply 37 of 58
    How can I find the the updates mentioned on this topic/article? Do I have to search the whole long listing?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Umm, those would be the latest ones by date.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:

You know and I know and everyone here knows that computer software require updates. You argue just to be difficult. You're like my 6 year old.

He gives a bad name to 6 year olds!
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Ok, I sorted them by date. I still cannot see where are the updates for bluetooth and dvd burning. I really need them, where are they?