Cisco and Apple settle iPhone Trademark dispute

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    This is pant-wettingly good news - now let's hope Apple resolves carrier issues in Australia in time for their Sydney Store opening...
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by humblepig View Post

This is pant-wettingly good news - now let's hope Apple resolves carrier issues in Australia in time for their Sydney Store opening...

...and what about the trademark use in Canada? Anyone know of any updates on that front?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by humblepig View Post

I don't believe that Telstra is the brightest company around.

I think that they will watch how well the iPhone sells from June on and realize that the competition will be able to effectively use it. the "knitting" bit is probably some ex-government worker thinking it will scare Apple. Sure.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    While Apple may have strong consumer brand recognition, Cisco has equally strong enterprise brand recognition.

I think the obvious place for Apple and Cisco to work together is Cisco IP Phones

Imagine the same phone but with an 8" multi-touch screen, an iSight and running OSX.

Cisco could sell an enterprise version to businesses.

Apple could sell a home version to consumers.

This would go a long way to legitimizing Apple in the minds of corporate customers.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post

I would normally agree and it may still result in added demand for the Apple iPhone but Apples stock has been depressed since the dispute was announced. Today when the dispute was resolved the stock jumped $3.30 but is still down almost $6 from the peak it reached moments after the iPhone announcement.

The agreement over the dispute had nothing to do with the AAPL jump today.. Prudential raised it's EPS for the stock based on strong and solid demand for Mac sales, that's why there was a run up.

And no, the stock has not been depressed since the dispute was announced.. As you said, AAPL is only trading down $6 from an all time high. That's pretty damn good considering last year after the Macworld keynote AAPL reached $87, and then plummeted all the way down to the low $50's over the course of a couple of months.. AAPL is currently holding in all time high terriority. You can't ask for more than that after a more than 2000% run over the last few years.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Well, I'm glad that this was finally resolved. They still need to lower the price of the friggin' thing.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

Well, I'm glad that this was finally resolved. They still need to lower the price of the friggin' thing.

Eventually. During the Interview after Macworld... ABC News I think, Steve Jobs mentioned that the price will start to drop, probably after a year I'm guessing. But they need to sell the first batch of 10-12 Million before that happens. Fortunately I'm happy enough to pay for a unit at full price so that means only 9,999,999 to go before we start to see results

Sebastian
  • Reply 28 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

? åµ ßø ?å??¥ ??å? Å??¬´ å?? Ç?ßçø ®´?åç?´? å ß´??¬´µ?? ?´çå¨ß´ ?ø? ?? çå? ß?ø? ?¬å©¨??© µ¥ ?å?¬¥ ?øø©¬´ ß´å®ç?´ß?

• Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...and what about the trademark use in Canada? Anyone know of any updates on that front?

I heard the news on the radio this morning - no indication that the deal wasn't effective here in Canada.

I think when they say that "both companies are free to use the ?iPhone? trademark on their products throughout the world," Canada would count as part of "the world."

Then again, I may be oversimplifying it. We Canadians excel at making bureaucratic messes of the most trivial things.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While Apple may have strong consumer brand recognition, Cisco has equally strong enterprise brand recognition.

I think the obvious place for Apple and Cisco to work together is Cisco IP Phones

Imagine the same phone but with an 8" multi-touch screen, an iSight and running OSX.

Provided that Jonathan got his hands on that phone.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog View Post

I heard the news on the radio this morning - no indication that the deal wasn't effective here in Canada.

I think when they say that "both companies are free to use the ?iPhone? trademark on their products throughout the world," Canada would count as part of "the world."

Then again, I may be oversimplifying it. We Canadians excel at making bureaucratic messes of the most trivial things.

Sorry, I should have made reference to an earlier story that a different company (not Cisco) has claimed they have the rights to use "iPhone" in the Canadian market. Don't have the link on me...
  • Reply 32 of 33
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

This would go a long way to legitimizing Apple in the minds of corporate customers.

Good call! (if you'll pardon the expression)

It is also not a large leap to functionality to route the video to a

large screen to run Apple developed teleconferencing application.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Is there any truth to the speculation that as part of the resolution to this patent dispute Apple has agreed to integrate VOIP into the iPhone?