MIDI Software? When?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
In the last bug fix, there were notes listing sevreal midi bugs that were fixed. I use my mac primarily for music making, but the complete lack of any pro audio applications for OS X has me really stumped. Does anyone know how far along midi support is in OS X? Are we ever going to have some apps?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have seen demos of some stuff in one of the keynotes, also check

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/"; target="_blank">VersionTracker</a> for MIDI applications.

Daniel
  • Reply 2 of 9
    What kind of MIDI apps/interfaces are you using? I'm in the music making biz as well and have delayed upgrading to OS X because of OMS, lack of apps, etc. However I hear MIDIMAN is releasing OS X drivers (good b/c I use MIDIMAN), and MOTU is releasing more OS X stuf.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'm all motu, 2408 and DP3. No drivers or ports of apps yet.

None yet from emagic, steinberg, proppellerheads, bias, native instruments. It's very frustrating.

I've gotta assume that MIDI support just isn't ready for primetime yet......
  • Reply 4 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Apparently, MIDI support is ready for primetime as of 10.1... which means that the developers who want to take advantage of it just got started a little while ago.

Most of the audio companies - both software and hardware - have committed to releasing OS X native software/hardware this spring. The hardware will change because OS X is so different. From what some of the companies are saying, expect previously high-end solutions to cost a lot less.

DigiDesign has also committed to the platform, but I haven't seen a timeline for ProTools.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hmmm, you'd think there would be a midi control panel or something along those lines. I know there are directories for vst plugs to go eventually, and I have seen midi bug fixes listed in the 10.1.x release notes.......I'm just anxious is all :-)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Me too. I've got my eye on a MOTU 828 and some other goodies. MOTU will come out with drivers soon I believe. I know that some exist for Linux using OSS, could we use those as well?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Linux has a completely different (and woefully inferior) driver model.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bias has a new demo out for its Peak DV software for OS X. I got it from Apple's download section I think, either that or Aquafiles.com Its not full featured and expires after 14 days but it appears that you can buy a full version through bias.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    There's another thread going on about a New Apple Audio app due in Jan.