Mac OS X 10.4.9 to boost image import speeds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    pbrpbr Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Because Intel is Universal Binary (ie. includes both PPC and Intel)

Nope. Intel is Intel only, but contains Rosetta...
  • Reply 22 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post

I realize this is all hypothetical, but a 17% performance boost in image loading is not bad. It's not great for loading one image, but if you're loading a web page with 100 images on it, you might see a 6-second load time drop to 5 seconds. Couple that with any other performance improvements the system may have, and you get Teh Snappy.

Loading a web page with 100 images isn't limited by the image renderer, it has a differerent limiting factor - the Internet connection.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Loading a web page with 100 images isn't limited by the image renderer, it has a differerent limiting factor - the Internet connection.

The text area I'm typing this message into has 18 smiley face icons to my right, 24 text editing icons above, and at least 10 images in the AppleInsider menu. All together, I see more than 50 images on my screen right now, and I doubt they are more than a 100k when you add them all together. The time to download them is barely perceptible, yet my browser is sluggish for a moment when loading this page.

When loading any page with lots of small images, the browser on my 400Mhz G3 will be sluggish and choppy when scrolling while the images are still loading. I've always assumed there must be some fixed overhead involved in starting to load each image because I do not have this problem when loading a page with small numbers of significantly larger images.

My impression is that the possible speed improvement would fix this situation.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post

The text area I'm typing this message into has 18 smiley face icons to my right, 24 text editing icons above, and at least 10 images in the AppleInsider menu. All together, I see more than 50 images on my screen right now, and I doubt they are more than a 100k when you add them all together. The time to download them is barely perceptible, yet my browser is sluggish for a moment when loading this page.

When loading any page with lots of small images, the browser on my 400Mhz G3 will be sluggish and choppy when scrolling while the images are still loading. I've always assumed there must be some fixed overhead involved in starting to load each image because I do not have this problem when loading a page with small numbers of significantly larger images.

My impression is that the possible speed improvement would fix this situation.

That's because a good 40 of those images are smily, animated faces.

That has nothing to do with loading images. That has to do with lots and lots of animation timers going off. On the plus side, you could download a webkit nightly which has sped up multiple GIF animations by rolling all the timers into one.