Mac OS X 10.4.9 to boost image import speeds

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week dropped yet another pair of pre-release Mac OS X 10.4.9 builds on its developer crowd, inching the software closer to a public release.

The diligence with which the Cupertino-based company has been refining the software may signal that Mac OS X 10.4.9 will be the final maintenance update to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger before attention is drawn solely to Leopard.

As was the case with prior seeds, developer notes accompanying the latest builds -- 8P2132 (Intel) and 8P132 (PowerPC) -- are said to reflect no known issues with the software.

People familiar with the latest pre-release say Apple notes just one significant change since builds 8P2130 and 8P130 were issued last week, specifically a bug fix to ImageIO that was affecting image import speeds.

Combo updates of Mac OS X 10.4.9, meaning those that can be applied to any Mac OS X 10.4.x installation, currently weigh in at 163.47 MB for PowerPC-based Macs and 315.45 for Intel-based Macs.

Come its release, Mac OS X 10.4.9 will represent the first update to Apple's Mac OS X operating system in nearly half a year. The last time the company offered a public update to its system software was in late September, with the release of Mac OS X 10.4.8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The article doesn't elaborate on the import speeds mentioned in the headline, or mention it at all.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The article doesn't elaborate on the import speeds mentioned in the headline, or mention it at all.

The import speed was so fast, that whatever corresponded to the title got lost in the dust!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Anyone know if the kernel panic issue on Mac Pros with NVidia 7300GT and more than 2GB RAM installed has been fixed ?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Uhh, yes, it does:

"People familiar with the latest pre-release say Apple notes just one significant change since builds 8P2130 and 8P130 were issued last week, specifically a bug fix to ImageIO that was affecting image import speeds."
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Uhh, yes, it does:

"People familiar with the latest pre-release say Apple notes just one significant change since builds 8P2130 and 8P130 were issued last week, specifically a bug fix to ImageIO that was affecting image import speeds."

OK, my mistake, I didn't see that. I tried scanning the article several times, I still think an article could provide more detail than that considering it yammers on about other things.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Always good news. Built in disk images is one of my favorite features in OSX (I love not having to put in the CD every time I want to play a game). Just make a cd master image and mount it on the desktop whenever you want to play.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

OK, my mistake, I didn't see that. I tried scanning the article several times, I still think an article could provide more detail than that considering it yammers on about other things.

I am sure they report what they have without crossing Apple Legal. Good enough for me.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

Always good news. Built in disk images is one of my favorite features in OSX (I love not having to put in the CD every time I want to play a game). Just make a cd master image and mount it on the desktop whenever you want to play.

I had to look it up, but it looks like ImageIO is for photo-type images (gif, jpg, png, etc.), not disk images.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This must be the last 10.4. They are really taking their time to get it right.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yep. Timing is perfect for 10.5.

It's a shame MS seems to have such trouble getting things right, even after how many years of development...

• Reply 11 of 24
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Why is Intel much heavier than PPC when there are much more Mac models of the latter?

163.47 MB for PowerPC vs 315.45 MB for Intel.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Why is Intel much heavier than PPC when there are much more Mac models of the latter?

Because Intel is Universal Binary (ie. includes both PPC and Intel)
  • Reply 13 of 24
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I would rather have AI not making whole articles based on single bug fixes.

All the seed notes says is: "Fixed issue with ImageIO and import speeds"

It doesn't even say if it's a fix for a bug in 10.4.8 or in a previous 10.4.9 seed.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

I would rather have AI not making whole articles based on single bug fixes.

All the seed notes says is: "Fixed issue with ImageIO and import speeds"

It doesn't even say if it's a fix for a bug in 10.4.8 or in a previous 10.4.9 seed.

Exactly. Claiming speeds will be boosted could be incorrect if the fix only relates to a bug introduced during 10.4.9 development.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Uhh, yes, it does:

That doesn't say much.

How much of a change is there?

If it took 30 seconds to import a large image, and now it takes 25 seconds, I wouldn't be impressed by the improvement.

But, it it now took 15 seconds, I would.

And I agree about the source of the bugs. Sometimes they are old bugs, and sometimes they are newly created ones in the update process itself. It would be nice to know which they are.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

A great deal more has needed to be fixed in the Intel Mac OSX since its first release IMHO (I had a first release Intel Mac and it was nowhere near as bug free as the corresponding PPC OS X at the time). That and that update includes large updates to Rosetta which of course isn't included in the PPC update.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

A great deal more has needed to be fixed in the Intel Mac OSX since its first release IMHO (I had a first release Intel Mac and it was nowhere near as bug free as the corresponding PPC OS X at the time). That and that update includes large updates to Rosetta which of course isn't included in the PPC update.

It definetly is not as stable, it just has 'more glitches' it seems. If I can stop from messing around with my system files on my G4 17" Powerbook for a few days I can just let Onyx do it's thing every week or so on my laptop and I never have to restart... I use it heavily too. The 17" MacBook Pro is a different story.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Now lets hope that when 10.5 comes out, Apple gives away 10.3 (at least) so that nobody has anything older than that. Or even a 10.5-lite (without time machine, spaces, or any of the top secret features)
  • Reply 19 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Now lets hope that when 10.5 comes out, Apple gives away 10.3 (at least) so that nobody has anything older than that. Or even a 10.5-lite (without time machine, spaces, or any of the top secret features)

That's actually in interesting idea. They should give versions older than two versions as a free download, or at least for a nominal cost, as you can buy them pretty cheaply on OWC, and some other sites, anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That doesn't say much.

How much of a change is there?

If it took 30 seconds to import a large image, and now it takes 25 seconds, I wouldn't be impressed by the improvement.

But, it it now took 15 seconds, I would.

And I agree about the source of the bugs. Sometimes they are old bugs, and sometimes they are newly created ones in the update process itself. It would be nice to know which they are.

You should be.

I realize this is all hypothetical, but a 17% performance boost in image loading is not bad. It's not great for loading one image, but if you're loading a web page with 100 images on it, you might see a 6-second load time drop to 5 seconds. Couple that with any other performance improvements the system may have, and you get Teh Snappy.