IE 5.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Been using it for about a half hour now and am loving it. It's a LOT faster. Until now Mozilla rendered pages faster than IE. That may be no more. IE 5.1 feels as fast as Mozilla when rendering without Mozilla's other kinkiness. Check out the Interface Extras in the Preferences.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I just started using it. Seems more or less the same to me (though I'm using it under Classic, not OS 9).

[never mind re the preferences - I see what you're talking about. I just added the "Advanced UI" panel to my existing ones and it worked fine.]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ive tried 5.1 under 8.6. i didnt see any difference speed wise compared to 5.0. acutally it rendered some sites slower than 5.0. well at least 5.1 doesnt seem to install some junks when u run it for the first time like 5.0
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    I've had notign but problems with IE5.1

It crashed within 10 mins of me starting it up for the first time.

I went to a flash site without having installed flash - it gave me the dialog warning box, i hit OK - I hit Command Q and IE crashed.

I also crashed 5 times out of the next 15 minutes I used it, surfing, and using the download manager . . .

Also, if I scroll with my intellimosue wheel down a page with CSS mouse-over links - they all hightlight and don't unhight until moused over again, or scrolled off screen.

Pretty shabby.

I'm back to 5.0
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    From what I have read over at MacFixit .. it seems people are having problems with it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    inciinci Posts: 17member
    well havent crashed once yet with 5.1

like i said, it seems to render pages slightly slower compare to 5.0, though it could be my erratice cable connection. i gave it plenty of memory like 55MB. after i installed, i did trash internet preference, and other older ie prerference folders. maybe that's the difference. oh yeah, trashed some old ie extenions also.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>From what I have read over at MacFixit .. it seems people are having problems with it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, of course MacFixIt reports problems with it!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Just installed it on my dad's iMac since he's running 9.2.2 and I haven't seen any problems yet.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

Well, of course MacFixIt reports problems with it! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Not all software has problems though I was just commenting on a lot of people where bitching about 5.1 on MacFixit
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tmatma Posts: 76member
    Not one single problem with 5.1 here..

5.0 used to crash alot, especially when it was downloading or rendering pages in the background. 5.1 hasn't crashed once.

TMA