Need Help with Extension Manager / control panels Third Party App?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any way to password protect the extension manager under 9.x? I need to lock the extension manager down on my 8 macs at work, users keep changing settings.

Also is there a way to prevent the install of software on a Mac with 9.x installed?

Please forgive my simple questions... I'm new to mac support.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    the only thing i can think of is to use multiple users and give the general users the inability to install apps or open exstensions manager.

Its fairly easy to get around this if the person knows what they're doing, but it might work for you.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've been playing around with that idea. How do you bypass the user accounts, is it just a limitation to the platform 9.x? Can I just protect the firmware with a password, to prevent booting from cd's and other devices? will this limit they're ability to bypass the logon?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    yes, its only limited to 9.x, as far as I know. Holding the shift key to disable extensions on startup and holding the space bar to bring up extensions manager, and then turning off the multiple users extension and control panel will go around the login. using the firmware password patch from apple also disabled the keys that modify the startup sequence, like disabling extensions and opening the extensions manager during startup.

I don't know of any ways to go around multiple users besides the shift key, space bar, and a removable media boot disk.

I hope this helps you
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for the help I don't think they know how to use the Space Bar to bring up the Extension Manager.

Can you browse to it normally after holding the shift down, is multiple users is on?