DVD rippers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a good program for ripping DVDs. I tried Mac the Ripper, and it's ok. There any really good free ones out there? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dwalkdwalk Posts: 14member
    Thanks. This is way better than MTR.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Be careful with Handbrake. I found that some of my rips cut out the audio half way through. I like that it has a tagret size option but it meant I had to encode with Handbrake, rip the VOB, convert the audio to AAC with ffmpegx and join the two in Quicktime.

I also found that Handbrake can slow way down sometimes during a rip and in those cases, it's faster to do it with say Mactheripper. It's a good app though. I just wish it was more reliable.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Which one is most compatiable with encrypted DVDs; Mactheripper or Handbrake?

I only ask because I own some DVDs (Walt Disney Treasures - limited boxsets) that I would like to backup to an external hard drive and view with the Apple TV. I've ripped them with....oh I can't forget now...I'm at work but it pretty much copied the entire DVD (various files and all) and it came out to like 6 to 8 GBs per DVD....which is a little bigger than I'd like.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    MacTheRipper gagged when I tried to copy Open Season DVD. I have to run DVDFab Decrypter under Parallels to rip the movie. Nice to have that option.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Which one is most compatiable with encrypted DVDs; Mactheripper or Handbrake?

I only ask because I own some DVDs (Walt Disney Treasures - limited boxsets) that I would like to backup to an external hard drive and view with the Apple TV. I've ripped them with....oh I can't forget now...I'm at work but it pretty much copied the entire DVD (various files and all) and it came out to like 6 to 8 GBs per DVD....which is a little bigger than I'd like.

Coomercial discs are dual layer and most come out above 6GB. You have to compress them down to fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD, which only have 4.4GB of actual space. Requantizers are better because they maintain quality and I recommend DVD2one.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Hey, why not try mp4converter dvd ripper(http://www.mp4converter.net/dvd-ripper-mac.html), honestly, it?s the best software of this kind I tried before. If u want to rip your DVD video to video/audio files and play them with your iPod, 3GP phone, mp4/mp3 player and so on, u can try DVD Ripper for Mac, u just need a few clicks to complete your ripping tasks!

it?s not free, but I think u may buy it after u have a try???just download it and try, hope it helps??.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    What I am looking for now is some software that can encode TV DVDs. Single episodes to single files. My TV on DVD collection is rather large and I think it would be kinda cool to press shuffle on Apple TV and create my own network so to speak
  • Reply 9 of 13
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

What I am looking for now is some software that can encode TV DVDs. Single episodes to single files. My TV on DVD collection is rather large and I think it would be kinda cool to press shuffle on Apple TV and create my own network so to speak

You're not alone, dude.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

What I am looking for now is some software that can encode TV DVDs. Single episodes to single files.

Handbrake does this but it takes ages to churn through your collection and you have to do them manually. Plus it screwed up the last 7 episodes and I had to use MacTheRipper + isquint. The big problem with TV series is they can have as much as an entire day of video and it takes a day just to encode them and a day to rip them. If you spend just a couple of hours doing it manually a day, it can take a whole working week just for one series. What you'd need is a script maybe to allow Handbrake to encode chapters individually unless it has this feature already.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Handbrake does this but it takes ages to churn through your collection and you have to do them manually. Plus it screwed up the last 7 episodes and I had to use MacTheRipper + isquint. The big problem with TV series is they can have as much as an entire day of video and it takes a day just to encode them and a day to rip them. If you spend just a couple of hours doing it manually a day, it can take a whole working week just for one series. What you'd need is a script maybe to allow Handbrake to encode chapters individually unless it has this feature already.

So are you saying that TV episodes are all 'glued together' and they are not invidual files? How is it that with the TV DVDs you are able to choose which episode you want to watch? Is each episode just a chapter, so to speak?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Start MP4Converter dvd ripper, import your DVDs, click Trim button on the interface to enter Trim dialog box, then u can use Set Begin and Set End button to make your TV DVDs "single episodes to single files" one by one. Meanwhile, Dvd ripper also can select to output APPLE TV MPEG-4 in Profiles.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

So are you saying that TV episodes are all 'glued together' and they are not invidual files? How is it that with the TV DVDs you are able to choose which episode you want to watch? Is each episode just a chapter, so to speak?

Sorry, I should have said titles not chapters. You get chapters and titles on a DVD. TV DVDs have 1 title per episode and that has chapters within it. In Handbrake, you have to choose the title manually. When it's a normal DVD, it's fine because you only have one main title that you want.