Airport Express N ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

The new Airport Extreme is great - no doubt about it, but what about upgrading the Express with N tech.

When would you think Apple would launch such an upgrade, if ever?

Thx.

By the way, to all of you out there considering a Macbook Pro - go for it. Got mine in November, it's an awesome machine!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    It's a fair enough question, too !

I'd buy one tomorrow.

I do expect to have to wait a while before they release the "Extreme lite"?

Gotta milk the first cow in line.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

It's a fair enough question, too !

I'd buy one tomorrow.

I do expect to have to wait a while before they release the "Extreme lite"?

Gotta milk the first cow in line.

Me too!

Although the Airport Express would be even better if Apple turned on the Ethernet port in client mode.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    It would have been better if the AppleTV had been the new Airport Express (and a lot cheaper).
  • Reply 4 of 18
    i have a feeling that the new airport express n is appletv.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

i have a feeling that the new airport express n is appletv.

hmmm - no printing.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    It has a usb port...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

It has a usb port...

hmmphh - point taken.

Not that you'd necessarily want a printer in the same space as your tv .... :-)
  • Reply 8 of 18
    sororcasororca Posts: 69member
    Quote:

hmmphh - point taken.

But the Apple TV does not connect to the internet connection.. One would still need an Airport Extreme to do that. If only the Apple TV included an Airport Extreme all would be good.

So I guess I'm still waiting for the Airport Express with N speed

Soeren
  • Reply 9 of 18
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Explain to me how the AppleTV is the new Airport Express? The point of the Express is to be as light and portable as possible so as to complement laptops, but the AppleTV has a nearly identical design and size as the AirPort Extreme. Not only that, but if the AppleTV were the new Express, don't you think they would have boasted that?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:

hmmphh - point taken.

I thought that the USB was just for service?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I believe the USB port is intended for an iPod, or possibly to attach a USB-driven TV tuner.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I believe the USB port is intended for an iPod, or possibly to attach a USB-driven TV tuner.

If one could attach an EyeTV tuner to AppleTV it would be a massive selling point.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    I don't know if the aTV is intended to be the next Airport Express but I hope that it is not and that Apple is just waiting to sell some Airport Extreme Base Stations before releasing a new Airport Express.

If there is a new Airport Express, give it a toslink digital optical out as well as the ability to share multiple hard drives and printers similar to the Airport Extreme. Actually, give me hard drive and printer sharing and keep the mini plug optical out and I will still buy one the day the come out.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    As was said earlier, the ability for the ethernet port to serve as an output as well as an input would be nice, so you could use it as a repeater, as well as a remote access point for ethernet.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    as long as it still has airtunes and 802.11n i will buy it. do u think they will lower the price or increase it and when do u think they will bring it to the market?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    They just lowered the price of the Express from $129 to $99 with the release of the new Extreme, so I wouldn't expect either an increase or a decrease.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    sororcasororca Posts: 69member
    That sounds like a good point.

Hope it's released within a month or two..
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Hi Guys, I wanted to know if anyone has heard of any manufacturer that makes an Wireless N expresscard for a mac laptop. I have a 17" G4 Powerbook 1.67Ghz that could use a boost in Wifi Speed. I've searched Yahoo & Google and don't comprehend and haven't seen anyone ask for this. I'm I the only one that might find this useful? I would appreciate any insight to this topic and to understand why there is such a delay in products like this coming out in the market.