Disk Utility Repair??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was excited to recieve my Vista today, because that means I can run my schoolwork applications on my own computer instead of another persons ^_^.

Unfortunately, while running bootcamp and creating a partition for the Vista section of the computer, it displayed an error stating it was unable to partition and I needed to "repair" the disk using Disk Utility. How do I go about doing this? Am I going to lose any information?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Unfortunately, while running bootcamp and creating a partition for the Vista section of the computer, it displayed an error stating it was unable to partition and I needed to "repair" the disk using Disk Utility. How do I go about doing this? Am I going to lose any information?

Nah, I've had that with every machine I've used Bootcamp on. Disk Utility will sort it out. Can I ask why you are installing Vista? XP at the moment is a far better option for Bootcamp IMO as it uses far less space, is faster and has much better compatibility.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Disk Utility is in Applications/Utilities. Just "repair disk." If this doesn't work, you can use your OS X dvd, boot it as if you're going to reinstall the OS, but choose disk utility instead (I believe from the file menu at the top of the screen). Then "repair disk" and it should take care of any problems.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Disc Utility is fine but I recommend TechTool Pro to maintain directory health and OnyX to maintain system optimization. They do much more than plain ol Disc Utility alone.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Actually I gotta nix that Tech Tool Pro recommendation. I find Disk Warrior much more reliable, but it only repairs drives. TTP has some other neat features, but royally screwed a drive a while back.

Prettymuch the common order of disk repair comes out to Disk Utility (At least it is an Apple product, but is limited), Disk Warrior, Tech Tool Pro, and if none of those work, Data Rescue. Data Rescue is at the end only because it doesn't repair your drive, but tries to scavenge anything it can and does a good job at it.