Question regarding my "new" powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all - first of all, i would like to say how pleased I am to join the apple community. I have longed for an apple for quite some time. I finally have buckled down and purchased a used laptop. I love everything about it so far, just had a quick question for you.

The laptop that I purchased still has info/data on it. Now, I want to keep the programs but I don't care about anything else. If i delete the person's account (the person who sold it to me) will all the programs on the computer get deleted?

I pretty much want to start fresh with this laptop without losing any of the programs already on the laptop. I don't care about any itune songs or anyhthing of that nature that may have been left on it. BUT i want to make sure that if i delete his old acct, Itunes and a few other programs are stll going to be on the computer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all

RQ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Do you have the install discs for the OS? If so, you can boot from those and reinstall the OS. Everything will go back to factory settings. I am not sure exactly how to do this as I have never done it. Someone will come help you with the details though.

Welcome!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Make a new user/admin account for yourself, then delete their account when logged in as you. The Apps in /Applications/ will still be there.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ryanqryanq Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Make a new user/admin account for yourself, then delete their account when logged in as you. The Apps in /Applications/ will still be there.

Thank you soooo much. I was hoping it would be that easy. So what are the real repercussions of deleting there admin. only files will be deleted? not applications?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Everything in the "old" HOME folder will be deleted... anything in the Applications folder (or other folders at that level, like Library, System, etc.) will remain untouched.