I only wish to use universal Cocoa applications.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello!

My MacBook Pro has been giving me a lot of trouble ever since I bought it. I had tried all sorts of things including changing the RAM, re-installing the operating system a few times, running the hardware test, etc. but nothing seems to fix my problems.

When I took it to customer care, they told me that it is the third party software that is causing the problems. However, they could not point out to me which one in particular is the culprit.

So, I have decided that from today onwards, I will re-install OS X and then only use stable (non-beta) universal Cocoa applications on my Mac. Is it even possible to survive on that? If yes, is there any way for me to ensure that an application is written in Cocoa before downloading it?

Is VLC media player a Cocoa application?
If no, my resolution has already broken before it had a chance to be practised. \

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    VLC is not a Cocoa App. It's a Multi Platform client so it's more likely to be written in C/C++ then Objective-C.

There's nothing wrong with Carbon, just use Universal Non Beta Apps. Btw, I think VLC is still considered a Beta... but Google is really slow for me at the moment so I can't confirm. But from my experience it's also not that stable, and there isn't a thing it can do that I can't do with Quicktime or DVD Player.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 21
    cocoa does not magically make an application better or more stable... its just the API apple use for objective C. A lot of good applications are made in carbon. In fact almost any cross platform app will be carbon.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

VLC is not a Cocoa App. It's a Multi Platform client so it's more likely to be written in C/C++ then Objective-C.

The Mac OS X front-end to VLC is actually indeed Cocoa. It used to be wxWidgets, but it was redone a long time ago.

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with Carbon, just use Universal Non Beta Apps.

Indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

cocoa does not magically make an application better or more stable... its just the API apple use for objective C. A lot of good applications are made in carbon. In fact almost any cross platform app will be carbon.

Correct. While I personally prefer Cocoa by far, Carbon has its legitimate uses and is hardly 'lesser'. Many high-profile apps use it, especially cross-platform ones.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

There's nothing wrong with Carbon, just use Universal Non Beta Apps. Btw, I think VLC is still considered a Beta... but Google is really slow for me at the moment so I can't confirm. But from my experience it's also not that stable, and there isn't a thing it can do that I can't do with Quicktime or DVD Player.

Sebastian

thats untrue.. vlc can do a lot more than quicktime + dvd player. It's decoder also has far better performance than quicktime. That said, some builds of VLC are extremely crashy. I've found 0.8.6 intel version to be fairly stable so download that version... It will occaisionally crash but it relaunches instantly so doesn't bother me too much.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

thats untrue.. vlc can do a lot more than quicktime + dvd player. It's decoder also has far better performance than quicktime. That said, some builds of VLC are extremely crashy. I've found 0.8.6 intel version to be fairly stable so download that version... It will occaisionally crash but it relaunches instantly so doesn't bother me too much.

I guess I should have been clearer, there isn't a thing it can do that I can't do with Quicktime/DVD Player that I actually use.

I encode absolutely ALL of my Audio/Video in MPEG-4 simply out of convenience and the fact that I like to standarize on a single platform instead of piece mealing everything and MP3/DivX/XviD/AVI/Ogg Vorbis is a step backwards. Further, Quicktime is very upgradable with extra codecs, like Perian and WMV Player from Flip4Mac meaning I don't have to worry when streaming Audio/Video on the web because either Flash or Quicktime will take care of it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

I guess I should have been clearer, there isn't a thing it can do that I can't do with Quicktime/DVD Player that I actually use.

I encode absolutely ALL of my Audio/Video in MPEG-4 simply out of convenience and the fact that I like to standarize on a single platform instead of piece mealing everything and MP3/DivX/XviD/AVI/Ogg Vorbis is a step backwards. Further, Quicktime is very upgradable with extra codecs, like Perian and WMV Player from Flip4Mac meaning I don't have to worry when streaming Audio/Video on the web because either Flash or Quicktime will take care of it.

Sebastian

yes but that's irrelevant. You cannot assume your needs are the same as everyone elses. Also vlc player has other functionality that neither quicktime or dvd player offer.

The fact is, there isn't a single application for mac that satisfactorily handles all types of video decoding and functionality - vlc comes closest though. Thats why I, for example, keep realplayer, mplayer and vlc in addition to quicktime player. And yes you can install perian etc but the performance is still very poor.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

yes but that's irrelevant. You cannot assume your needs are the same as everyone elses. Also vlc player has other functionality that neither quicktime or dvd player offer.

Like what? Crashing constantly? Not really a feature.

Quote:

The fact is, there isn't a single application for mac that satisfactorily handles all types of video decoding and functionality

Except for QuickTime.

Quote:

- vlc comes closest though.

If you can tolerate constant crashing, never being able to have more than one movie open at once, and don't mind the fact that scrubbing is impossible.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Like what? Crashing constantly? Not really a feature.

Except for QuickTime.

If you can tolerate constant crashing, never being able to have more than one movie open at once, and don't mind the fact that scrubbing is impossible.

1 like for example handling subtitle files... something that quicktime player can't do. Or a floating window feature.. something else that quicktime can't do. OR FULLSCREEN! There are plenty of other things btw

2 No, because

a) there are a variety of codecs quicktime cannot handle, even once you have perian and flip4mac installed.

b) quicktime player's decoding performance is generally very poor, especially with exotic codecs.

3 Some builds are more stable than others. The version I have doesn't crash often. Scrubbing is nice, and quicktime player is the best in that regard. However 95% of the time I don't need scrubbing as I merely want to watch a video file. Ditto for having more than one at once. If I'm watching something fullscreen, then why on earth would I want to have 2 videos open at once.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

2 No, because

a) there are a variety of codecs quicktime cannot handle, even once you have perian and flip4mac installed.

I know of not a single audio-visual format that VLC can handle, but for which there is no QuickTime codec. The beauty of QuickTime is that every Mac-standard app is a QuickTime app. Each new codec adds its supported media functionality [with certain contractual restrictions] to all of your apps, not just the QuickTime Player.

Quote:

b) quicktime player's decoding performance is generally very poor, especially with exotic codecs.

Never seen this. Which "exotic codecs"?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I know of not a single audio-visual format that VLC can handle, but for which there is no QuickTime codec. The beauty of QuickTime is that every Mac-standard app is a QuickTime app. Each new codec adds its supported media functionality [with certain contractual restrictions] to all of your apps, not just the QuickTime Player.

1) Well here is one example: OGG Vorbis (.ogm). Also I have often come across AVI files which will not open in quicktime but open fine in vlc, yes I have perian etc but it doesn't seem to cover every codec that fits in avi containers.

2) Yes please don't explain to me about quicktime I fully understand how it works.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    QuickTime doesn't play Flash video (.flv). I have to use VLC to play this format. Even Flash viewer won't play a straight .flv file.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

Hello!

My MacBook Pro has been giving me a lot of trouble ever since I bought it. I had tried all sorts of things including changing the RAM, re-installing the operating system a few times, running the hardware test, etc. but nothing seems to fix my problems.

When I took it to customer care, they told me that it is the third party software that is causing the problems. However, they could not point out to me which one in particular is the culprit.

So, I have decided that from today onwards, I will re-install OS X and then only use stable (non-beta) universal Cocoa applications on my Mac. Is it even possible to survive on that? If yes, is there any way for me to ensure that an application is written in Cocoa before downloading it?

Is VLC media player a Cocoa application?
    If no, my resolution has already broken before it had a chance to be practised. \

Thank you!

Ok, back on topic here... The best piece of advice that I can give to you is install one application at a time. Once you start seeing oddities, you can do one of two things:

a) Uninstall that application and find another one.

b) Open up your Console Logs (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and find out what it is complaining about. Then either fix it (if it is missing something that you can install) and/or send that information to the Developer of the Application. Usually developers like to be notified if something happens with their Application, and you could be providing them with some valuable feedback.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

QuickTime doesn't play Flash video (.flv). I have to use VLC to play this format. Even Flash viewer won't play a straight .flv file.

Apple added Flash support to QuickTime years ago. I have no problems with Flash video files. If you have a link to one that is unplayable by QuickTime, I would dearly love to play see it.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    OK. I knew you guys would suggest me not to go with the decision of using only Cocoa applications. I am very confused about what I should do.

I am listing all the third party applications I currently have installed. Could you guys tell me if there is some known problem with any of these applications:

Acquisition

Adium

Adobe Photoshop CS3 beta (and all the other applications it comes with)

Alarm Clock Pro

AppZapper

Azureus

Cars Radiator Springs Adventure

Chimp

Colloquy

CrossOver

Darwine

Delicious Library

Democracy

Disco

Flickr Uploader

Flip4Mac

GimmeSomeTune

Google Notifier

Google Video Player

iClip

iFreeMem

iGetter 2.5

Imageshack Uploader

LaCie Backup

LimeWire

MailSteward

NeoOffice

Newsfire

OnyX

Opera

PandoraBoy

Parallels Desktop

Path Finder

pzizz

Quicksilver

RapidWeaver

RescuePRO

Split & Concat

Stuffit 11

SuperDuper!

Switch

TextMate

Thumbscrew

Toast 8 Titanium

Transmission

TubeSock

Typewriter Keyboard

VLC

Xtorrent

... and these are the preference panes that I have installed:

Application Enhancer

DéjÃ* Vu

Fan Control

GizmoPlugin

Growl

iTheater

Little Snitch

MediaCentral

Visage

I know that is a huge lot. I am a huge fan of third party software and I literally try out every piece of software as soon as it hits the market.

Could LimeWire and/or Azureus be causing the problems? I have heard that Mac OS X has poor support for Java.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

I think VLC is still considered a Beta... but Google is really slow for me at the moment so I can't confirm. But from my experience it's also not that stable, and there isn't a thing it can do that I can't do with Quicktime or DVD Player.

I know a LOT of things that you cannot do with QuickTime Player (even the Pro version) that you can with VLC media player.

The two things that I am concerned about are playing MKV files and having support for subtitles. Both are unsupported by QuickTime Player.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

OK. I knew you guys would suggest me not to go with the decision of using only Cocoa applications. I am very confused about what I should do.

I am listing all the third party applications I currently have installed. Could you guys tell me if there is some known problem with any of these applications:

Acquisition

Adium

Adobe Photoshop CS3 beta (and all the other applications it comes with)

Alarm Clock Pro

AppZapper

Azureus

Cars Radiator Springs Adventure

Chimp

Colloquy

CrossOver

Darwine

Delicious Library

Democracy

Disco

Flickr Uploader

Flip4Mac

GimmeSomeTune

Google Notifier

Google Video Player

iClip

iFreeMem

iGetter 2.5

Imageshack Uploader

LaCie Backup

LimeWire

MailSteward

NeoOffice

Newsfire

OnyX

Opera

PandoraBoy

Parallels Desktop

Path Finder

pzizz

Quicksilver

RapidWeaver

RescuePRO

Split & Concat

Stuffit 11

SuperDuper!

Switch

TextMate

Thumbscrew

Toast 8 Titanium

Transmission

TubeSock

Typewriter Keyboard

VLC

Xtorrent

... and these are the preference panes that I have installed:

Application Enhancer

DéjÃ* Vu

Fan Control

GizmoPlugin

Growl

iTheater

Little Snitch

MediaCentral

Visage

I know that is a huge lot. I am a huge fan of third party software and I literally try out every piece of software as soon as it hits the market.

Could LimeWire and/or Azureus be causing the problems? I have heard that Mac OS X has poor support for Java.

Hate to break it to you Bud but most of those apps are Carbon
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

QuickTime doesn't play Flash video (.flv).

It does with Perian.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Fan Control

*cough*
  • Reply 19 of 21
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Seriously, if you are a fan of trying out every bit of software as it comes out, you are experiencing exactly what you should... instability. How about uninstalling Application Enhancer and all the other hackery?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    You mean like Windows? What about Apple's assertion that the OS is written in such a way that individual applications cannot mess up with the operating system? If I have to install every application individually and check whether it is causing any problems or not, what is the point of using a Mac then? I can log onto the Internet using a Mac without any defensive applications installed because I am secure in the belief that Mac OS X is invincible to online threats. Why can't I have the same feeling of security when I install third party applications?

@Chucker, You think Fan Control might be source of my problems? Should I use smcFanControl instead?