Macbook disk drive question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it normal for the computer to become very very loud anytime a disk is put in? i put in a music cd, my APP, and the fan just goes on high, everything becomes very loud. when i take the disc out, it sounds like an airplane prop slowing down - just a slow down/constant slight decrease in noise. when i'm not doing anything with cd's, my macbook runs quite as a mouse. thats why i think it is abnormal for it to go so loud. but maybe it's standard.

(btw, my macbook is about 4 hours old, just bought it)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    xelitexxelitex Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xelitex View Post

Is it normal for the computer to become very very loud anytime a disk is put in? i put in a music cd, my APP, and the fan just goes on high, everything becomes very loud. when i take the disc out, it sounds like an airplane prop slowing down - just a slow down/constant slight decrease in noise. when i'm not doing anything with cd's, my macbook runs quite as a mouse. thats why i think it is abnormal for it to go so loud. but maybe it's standard.

(btw, my macbook is about 4 hours old, just bought it)

anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Can you specify if it's a fan noise or a CD mechanism noise issue?

If it's the fans, I've noticed the same thing, as my wife's MB seems to spool up the fans at odd times. I got her smcfancontrol, and to keep it cool she runs them about %50 higher than normal which mitigated the fans spinning up and down so noticeably.

If it's a CD mechanism noise, make sure it's not just a specific CD. I've noticed that CDs with lots of raised printing make a lot of noise when they're spinning around.

Give me some more info and I'll think up something else for you.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene View Post

Can you specify if it's a fan noise or a CD mechanism noise issue?

If it's the fans, I've noticed the same thing, as my wife's MB seems to spool up the fans at odd times. I got her smcfancontrol, and to keep it cool she runs them about %50 higher than normal which mitigated the fans spinning up and down so noticeably.

If it's a CD mechanism noise, make sure it's not just a specific CD. I've noticed that CDs with lots of raised printing make a lot of noise when they're spinning around.

Give me some more info and I'll think up something else for you.

It's mostly the fans. And this was on my m$ office package, my Apple protection plan CD, and my Printer setup CD. Some of it is the CD mechanism, but it's mostly the fan that just goes on full blast.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    My suggestion is to download smcFanControl and set the minimum fan speed to a slightly higher value. This will cause the machine to run cooler overall, and largely mitigate the drastic jumps in fan speed.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    is this a safe download? i dont want to just download any old software off of a website.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xelitex View Post

is this a safe download? i dont want to just download any old software off of a website.

But you'll trust the word of some old person you've only just talked to on Appleinsider?

In any case, I think you will find that MacUpdate is one of the most useful and popular macintosh software sites available.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ok thank you very much for your help and time.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    No problem. Let us know if that fixes the fan noise issue.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    i dont really understand how to use it. on the top menu, i have 3 different temperatures with 3 different fan speeds. which one do i want to change?