Nearly 80% of business PCs ill-equipped for Vista upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are you sure you are not a MS 'fanboi'? I'll let you off 'wiz' and 'redunant' but the fact you can't even spell 'Leapord' kind of worries me!

Ask daddy for a spell checker on that PC

You sound a bit paranoid -- like Rush Limbaugh who typically assumes a caller must be a 'liberal' when he gets a slightly touchy question....

Leopard is a somewhat difficult word to spell (sort of like "embaRRass"); people often get it wrong.

It would be nice if Ai had a self-contained spell-checker.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

My company just finished upgrading to xp...a process that's taken 3 years to complete. We won't be getting Vista anytime soon.

The company I have been working for is still doing this we won't be running Vista for years yet. We do have about 400 Macs so I guess I am somewhat lucky I get to work on them as well.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:

Mmmm, interesting. I use both and have very different attitudes.

I cannot possibly see a person who uses both refer to XP as stable! What hour of the day is that? Just curious.

Are you sure you are not a MS 'fanboi'? I'll let you off 'wiz' and 'redunant' but the fact you can't even spell 'Leapord' kind of worries me!

Ask daddy for a spell checker on that PC

My apologies on the spelling of Leopard. But not to fray, I'm definitely no MS FanBoi either. I prefer OS X over WinXP any minute, but I recognize where XP can thrive, and where OS X can thrive (and even Ubuntu if I'm willing). For the record, I own 5.5 macs (the .5 is a broken SE II)

I have OS X Tiger running on a 450mhz G3, with 368mb and a 60gb raid HD. All it can do is run sound for my student run TV station, but in no way can it run any stable version of Final Cut Express (only can do version 1) and is way too slow to even do basic browsing. At least iTunes runs decently well, and so we can play music off of it to use in our broadcasts. Other than that, its way too slow. (Oddly, it does boot faster than the intel iMac C2D machines we just got...)

But I will agree to others, that OS X is much better at scaling back. Though, if you try, you can get XP to scale back too. I have a 750 AMD K7 with 368mb on it, and it runs like a champ. True, Apples and Oranges here folks.

Again, all up for debate what will happen next.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Why won't any bonafide reporter call him and Steve Ballmer on any of this crap when they are sitting right in front of them?

For the same reason that ITs promote Windows, they would soon find themeless out of a job if they had an OS that does not need baby-sitting. If reporters reported facts and facts only, the world would become a less chaotic place to live in. We can't have that! No job to do anymore.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

So what else is new, M$ making another product that sells more hardward, and you wonder why M$ and Intel like each other so much.

Image what would have happen if Apple released OSX that did not work on 80% of the install base.

Actually, Intel doesn't like M$ that much these days. Apple is demanding, but they are getting along quite well.

Even Intel won't be moving to Vista till some time next year, and then, slowly.

Too many unqualified machines and broken aplications.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I can't imagine a nice Intel-based MacBook Pro with 512MB RAM being too slow with Tiger. You may have other problems there.

The biggest and most frequent ones being use and... perception. Both vary greatly among people.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I cannot possibly see a person who uses both refer to XP as stable!

I am one of them. I use XP on my wife's three year old laptop and until now it has been rock solid. Zero system crashes. Sadly, OS X gives me once or twice per year kernel panics on my Powerbook. You can argue about some faulty hardware component and I suspect something actually, but the kernel panics are rare and completely random (or so they seem); moreover, it is a pattern that has not changed for three or four years now. So, as much I like and favor Macs and OS X in particular, my personal experience has been better with XP in the stability front. OK, and games. But only there.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You sound a bit paranoid -- like Rush Limbaugh who typically assumes a caller must be a 'liberal' when he gets a slightly touchy question....

Leopard is a somewhat difficult word to spell (sort of like "embaRRass"); people often get it wrong.

Since Safari and Firefox (all platforms) have a built-in "check spelling as I type" feature it's possible that the person in question is using IE on WinXP, which doesn't have this feature. Hence the MS fanboy remark. At least, that is how I saw it.

PS: Windows Vista was supposed to finally have a systemwide spell checker. Did that have come to fruition?
  • Reply 49 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since Safari and Firefox (all platforms) have a built-in "check spelling as I type" feature it's possible that the person in question is using IE on WinXP, which doesn't have this feature. Hence the MS fanboy remark. At least, that is how I saw it.

Good point, if true. Although, given how ubiquitous and irritating it is in MS Office, I would have thought that Microsoft invented this incredibly irritating feature. It is not automatic in IE......?
  • Reply 50 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I am one of them. I use XP on my wife's three year old laptop and until now it has been rock solid. Zero system crashes. Sadly, OS X ...

I have been using XP for about three months with Boot Camp on my Core 2 Duo iMac (2.16 GHz, 2 GB), and not one crash so far. During this time, I have had to reboot 10.4.8 at least three or four times on the Macbook Pro (Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz, 2 GB) that I am currently using.

• Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:

It is not automatic in IE......?

It's not an even an option in IE, except perhaps from a 3rd party. But you make a good point; one that describes MS' complete lack of integration between services. They should have been the first to interact with Office's built-in spell checker?

I read that Vista was going to have this feature in IE 7, but I don't recall coming across it during my limited use of IE 7 on Vista. In defense of the original poster, this feature does have to be enabled in both Firefox and Safari.

As for an annoying feature, I disagree wholeheartedly. I'd be lost without it as I've long since given up my ability to spell.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I am one of them. I use XP on my wife's three year old laptop and until now it has been rock solid. Zero system crashes. Sadly, OS X gives me once or twice per year kernel panics on my Powerbook. You can argue about some faulty hardware component and I suspect something actually, but the kernel panics are rare and completely random (or so they seem); moreover, it is a pattern that has not changed for three or four years now. So, as much I like and favor Macs and OS X in particular, my personal experience has been better with XP in the stability front. OK, and games. But only there.

I occasionally get an OS X kernel panic when plugging in a USB device, or with certain devices, like my scanner, it scans great 19 out of 20 times, the remaining 5% of the time the system locked up. I even got one with an iPod once. I think the scanner bug was fixed around 10.4.5, I don't remember, but the one iPod lockup happened on 10.4.8 or 10.4.9, I forget, it was fairly recent.

I almost don't get BSODs or lockups in Windows, though I'm using 2000, not XP. It's about once every other year, and usually it's faulty hardware or me installing the wrong driver.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:

No, not Paranoid nor on pain killers Ironically, didn't I read somewhere Rush uses a Mac? (Could be wrong). Plus I am a closet Liberal

I have used Apples and early PCs since they were invented and owned dealerships selling both in the 1980's. So I have a pretty good grasp of both camps.

I was just pulling the writer's leg. I am an atrocious speller and almost dyslexic but even I had to make a joke about 'Leopard' being butchered in a thread about OS X.

Regarding AI and spell checking, as any Mac user surely knows, It does have a spell checker! If you are using OS X and Safari simply press: SHIFT + APPLY KEY + ; keys and the OS X spell checker pops and works fine.

Not sure if any equivalent for the Trolls on their PCs
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:

PS: Windows Vista was supposed to finally have a systemwide spell checker. Did that have come to fruition?

Spell check doesn't matter if the person doesn't do anything about it. AI can get the usage and spelling of the most obscure words right, such as "chorine" (?!, look it up, it really did fit the article, oddly enough) but common ones wrong.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:

No, not Paranoid nor on pain killers Ironically, didn't I read somewhere Rush uses a Mac? (Could be wrong). Plus I am a closet Liberal

I've heard that he bought a fully loaded Mac Pro. Back when I listened to him (1995) he had been using Macs for a long time then too, and he was dismissing Windows 95 as something irrelevant.

Even the conservatives (except maybe my Grandpa) I know now think he's a buffoon.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:

I have been using XP for about three months with Boot Camp on my Core 2 Duo iMac (2.16 GHz, 2 GB), and not one crash so far. During this time, I have had to reboot 10.4.8 at least three or four times on the Macbook Pro (Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz, 2 GB) that I am currently using.

I admit, the first decently successful version of Windows I have ever run is on an Intel Mac in Parallels. The continual annoyance having to wait for virus checking mail scans and updates on a daily basis or more is still a royal pain though. Perhaps the reason for its success to date (over six months) is because it is used only for IE on web sites that are written to exclude Macs (my wife's real estate stuff by XMLS systems). All else is done on Mac side.

I have up to five Macs running and never had a crash I didn't cause. One has been running nonstop for over five years as a server on a remote T1. My main Mac is used for video editing in FCPro suite and is often rendering HD video whilst I use Safari, Mail, GoLive, Transmit, Thoth, Google Earth, Text Edit and Apple Remote Desktop to control other Macs both on local network and one via IP at a remote location plus one PC via Microsoft Remote Desktop and numerous other applications at the same time on two 23" Cinema displays.

This is typical - day in day out week in week out, and never a crash. Friends with PCs who see this cannot believe it when they see uploads to my T1 happening as Thoth downloads from elsewhere and so many other things are happening. Their comment is always the same; 'If they did more than two or three things at the same time XP would lock up'. That is also my experience.

Just my 2 cents on the amazing stability of OS X.

p.s. GoLive's FTP sucks and can lock up Mac, I use Transmit with GoLive and avoid it.
  • Reply 57 of 76

8-core Mac Pros.

Anyone see this coming this week after the EMI announcement? I sure as hell didn't.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've heard that he bought a fully loaded Mac Pro. Back when I listened to him (1995) he had been using Macs for a long time then too, and he was dismissing Windows 95 as something irrelevant.

Even the conservatives (except maybe my Grandpa) I know now think he's a buffoon.

I wish he'd go back to Windoze and not give us Mac users a bad name
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

8-core Mac Pros.

Anyone see this coming this week after the EMI announcement? I sure as hell didn't.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Thanks for heads up. I was 100% sure this was due at NAB.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

8-core Mac Pros.

I don't see a BTO Blu-Ray do you? Maybe that is for NAB! HD video editing is stuck until we can easily put HD on a DVD (be in either format) and an Apple built in solution is always the safer route in my experience.