Rogers casts doubts on iPhone for Canada

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why bash Canada? Canada, just like America, was founded after years of fighting other Europeans and destroying native inhabitance by the British. As was New Zealand and Australia. We are all basically the same culture and people with a wonderful mix of immigrants. Just get along OK

Not around these parts. The crimes of the our implacably evil neighbors to the north are well know. Don't think we're fooled by the "friendly" routine. We will be watching you closely.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post

The simple and historical explanation is that Rogers got excited, said something they shouldn't have, and are now being non-commital.

While that's likely the case, the fact that Microsoft Corp. invested $600 Million in shares of Rogers Communications in July 1999, representing 9% of Rogers' equity shouldn't be ignored. At the time Rogers said it would use Microsoft software for interactive TV services, beginning in 2000 (which, as we know, never went anywhere). Ever since that time, Rogers has been a staunch supporter of all things M$, and has had little interest in Mac users.

Those of us who see the dark side of this announcement might think M$ was exerting undue influence on Rogers, leading to the waning of Rogers' initial enthusiasm for the iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not around these parts. The crimes of the our implacably evil neighbors to the north are well know. Don't think we're fooled by the "friendly" routine. We will be watching you closely.

Why watch me I am in Florida!
  • Reply 24 of 57
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Isn't the planned European iPhone supposed to work on CDMA?

Maybe a Canadian CDMA provider can get the gig and Canadians

can buy a phone like the Euros. (i might be hallucinating, don't

hold it against me)
  • Reply 25 of 57
    I doubt it. Why would they make it CDMA when Europe's GSM network is so big?
  • Reply 26 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Maybe it's just a negotiation tactic.

It probably would have been nicer if there was a North America model that supported CDMA too.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I doubt it. Why would they make it CDMA when Europe's GSM network is so big?

you are right, i was confoozed
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why watch me I am in Florida!

You're clearly a Canadian lover?. Hiding behind America's wang won't protect you.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

The last time the U.S. ticked us off, we invaded and went so far south that we burned down the White House.

Adda, don't make us do that again.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    "Canada invades US! We could not tolerate the insults of random internet poster, say PM Harper"

"Victorious Canada requests hand-over of public enemy Addabox, US denies knowledge"

"Canadian puppet government demands: Bring us Addabox or we bring the Ann Murray music"

"Army of Addabox insurgency said to be growing, Oh for fuck's sake they're fucking Canadians quickly becoming new catch-phrase"

"AOA disrupts Hockey season, vows to fight on"
  • Reply 31 of 57
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

"Canada invades US! We could not tolerate the insults of random internet poster, say PM Harper"

"Victorious Canada requests hand-over of public enemy Addabox, US denies knowledge"

"Canadian puppet government demands: Bring us Addabox or we bring the Ann Murray music"

"Army of Addabox insurgency said to be growing, Oh for fuck's sake they're fucking Canadians quickly becoming new catch-phrase"

"AOA disrupts Hockey season, vows to fight on"

Oh you don't want a canadian vs american brawl. Don't start something you can't finish.

The thosand arrows of the Canadian Empire will rain down a upon you and blot out the sun.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quit trying to take credit for ham and we'll start respecting you.

It ain't Canadian and it sure as hell ain't bacon.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Quit trying to take credit for ham and we'll start respecting you.

It ain't Canadian and it sure as hell ain't bacon.

Well, we sure don't call it "Canadian bacon" in Canada. It seems to me it's only called that in the states.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The last time the U.S. ticked us off, we invaded and went so far south that we burned down the White House.

Adda, don't make us do that again.

Uh, that wasn't you, guys.

In fact, Your masters over the pond were so afraid, after our Civil War, that we would invade, that they gave you your freedom, on just the unspoken threat.

You should be grateful.

Besides, we can blame everything on the French Québécois. They don't think of themselves as Canadian anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post

Well, we sure don't call it "Canadian bacon" in Canada. It seems to me it's only called that in the states.

No way!
  • Reply 36 of 57
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Remember we're Canadian. We never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. And Rogers are the lesser of two evils right now. Bell (pronounced Doucebags in Proper Canadian, are are only alternative, The rest being front companies.) And about Rogers just waiting to financially "screw" That point is so on the money you won't believe it.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Alright, listen up, I'm going to post this once.

Guybrush, your witty comments are borderline. Knock it off, now. Consider yourself warned.

Secondly, the Canada bashing and the Canadian habit of self loathing is getting old. The rest of you knock it off. This flamey bullshit is ridiculous. Grow up.

Thirdly, I work for the ecommerce team for the biggest electronics retailer in Canada. We're bringing the damn thing in, probably Q4 or Q1 next year. Deal with it.

Turn the tone of this thread around and discuss the topic at hand and not your own idiosyncracies or I'll bring out the moderating stick.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Darn.... just when it was getting fun!

As a Canadian, I was actually enjoying Guybrush's witty jabs! LOL! (I certainly take no offence to the playful reparte of my American friends)

Back on topic.... (to avoid the wrath of Mr. Grahamw's)....

Quote:

Thirdly, I work for the ecommerce team for the biggest electronics retailer in Canada. We're bringing the damn thing in, probably Q4 or Q1 next year.

Which company would that be?
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Isn't the planned European iPhone supposed to work on CDMA?

Maybe a Canadian CDMA provider can get the gig and Canadians

can buy a phone like the Euros. (i might be hallucinating, don't

hold it against me)

that's a thing of the past; don't think that CDMA was ever sold in Europe.

europe is 100% GSM
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Thank's grahamw!

I've counted 18 posts that had nothing to do with this topic (that I'm particularly interested in).

My 2 year contract with Bell ends in june and it would be nice if Rogers introduces the iPhone during the summer or even in fall. I would be ready to use my cell with a pay card between contracts for a few months, but now with Rogers not even sure if (or when) they will offer the iPhone, I'm getting worried. Here in Canada, you cant sign a contract less than 2 years, some even 3 years duration. I dont want to sign a 2 years with Bell, if someone finally offers the iPhone in 6-8 months from now, nor using a pay card for such a period.

On march 13th, I got a email from Rogers customer service stating that they will be the exclusive iPhone carrier. But at this time are not able to say at what date and for how much.

I'm with Bell since I own a cell, but I'm ready to go with whoever carries the iPhone!

Until then, I'll keep watching AppleInsider for the latest news.