MGM flicks arrive on Apple's iTunes Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it's perfect for the iPod Video, which, I'm guessing, is the most common way people currently watch their iTunes video content.

720p will come. Don't you worry about that.

Of course its the most common way people currently watch their content. With the horrendous picture quality on a real TV, who would watch it that way? Apple's supposed to be trying to change the way people watch video, not just serve a small market they provide.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

People are supposed to buy an Apple TV to watch barely SD programming? All this stuff is so 2-3 years ago. Much of this stuff is in the bargain bin for $7, better resolution, no DRM, doesn't waste disk space or require a computer to play back.

I hear you. I'll stick with Netflix
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsflewelling View Post

I'm waiting for a rental movie service (and better resolution). That would be the true Netflix.

Same Here. Give my 720p and rentals and they've got a lot of business from me. I already have an Apple TV, I'm just waiting for them to through the 720p switch on itunes movies...
  • Reply 24 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevesreed View Post

Same Here. Give my 720p and rentals and they've got a lot of business from me. I already have an Apple TV, I'm just waiting for them to through the 720p switch on itunes movies...

I would love to see a rental service in place on iTunes. I'd surely use it. But isn't this the issue Apple has with DRMed AAC, but with a whole lot more trouble and difficulty for Apple.

How does Apple make iTunes, AppleTV and iPod auto delete the rented video? How does it assure the studios that the protected won't be hacked (which we know it will)?
  • Reply 25 of 82
    I see that 2 million moviv\\es have now been downloaded. I recall a discussion in another thread expressing consternation that a prior release still had the same 1.3 million figure from January. I guess that someone screwed up and failed to update the movie figure. I think it was in the press release related to the 100 million iPods sold.

Anyhow, regardless of what anyone thinks of iTunes movies, resolution, and Apple TV, as an Apple shareholder I am glad to see movie downloads remain on a nice upward trajectory.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Quote:

I would love to see a rental service in place on iTunes. I'd surely use it. But isn't this the issue Apple has with DRMed AAC, but with a whole lot more trouble and difficulty for Apple.

How does Apple make iTunes, AppleTV and iPod auto delete the rented video? How does it assure the studios that the protected won't be hacked (which we know it will)?

Netflix is doing it right now. You have to have a PC, but you can now watch movies downloaded from the internet on your PC. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but while connected to the internet, you can watch movies. The quality depends on your connection speed. I haven't watched a full movie yet, but I did test it and it was pretty good on a small screen laptop pc. The way it works though, is that the movie isn't downloaded all at once onto your hard drive. It plays from the connection. If Netflix can figure out how to do this, then Apple surely can do the same, and stream it to Apple TV. One would likely need a fiber (Verizon Fios) connection for HD.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm holding out for high-def iTunes Movies in Europe before I buy one.

What? You mean you aren't going to buy an AppleTV just to watch the eight Pixar shorts that make up the ENTIRE non-music video content available outside the USA?

What a complete farce. It just amazes me Apple have the gall to sell the AppleTV outside the USA. "World's Largest" store? Yeah, right. That's "World" as in "World Series" baseball yes - the game otherwise only played by girls outside the USA?

• Reply 28 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Netflix is doing it right now. You have to have a PC, but you can now watch movies downloaded from the internet on your PC. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but while connected to the internet, you can watch movies. The quality depends on your connection speed. I haven't watched a full movie yet, but I did test it and it was pretty good on a small screen laptop pc. The way it works though, is that the movie isn't downloaded all at once onto your hard drive. It plays from the connection. If Netflix can figure out how to do this, then Apple surely can do the same, and stream it to Apple TV. One would likely need a fiber (Verizon Fios) connection for HD.

Apple already has QT streaming so this would be great except I think people are expecting better than "near-DVD quality"--which is what Watch Now offers via WMP11--for their AppleTV/HDTV setup and probably want to also take these videos with them on their iPods/iPhones.

A better comparison is MS' offerings with the XBOX360 rentals. The only problem is that this setup won't play on your Computer or on your Zune.

I hate to sound negative, but I really can't think of a good way that Apple can offer rentals that will satisfy the customers and the studios at the same time. I implore anyone to help me see a worthwhile solution.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

I thought Netflix mailed you the movie on DVD and you mailed it back. I didn't know or could find on their web site anything about downloading. I would appreciate it if you could provide me the link.

Thank you
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Quote:

I hate to sound negative, but I really can't think of a good way that Apple can offer rentals that will satisfy the customers and the studios at the same time. I implore anyone to help me see a worthwhile solution.

From what I gather from online discussions in the UK here with the BBC and Channel 4 TV, Apple's DRM scheme doesn't allow time limits on content downloaded from the web. It'll stream/buffer content fine and in some ways it does it better than Windows Media does, but it doesn't expire content after N views or N hours which is what both the BBC and Channel 4 want to protect their DVD sales both domestically and abroad.

Channel 4 for instance has had both paid and free on-demand TV shows since the end of last year and the BBC is doing the same shortly except for free. The problem is, the only solution they have currently is Windows based.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

copypasta

4chan? On MY AppleInsider?

I'm still waiting for Lions Gate to put up Antitrust, and for TNT to put up Pirates of Silicon Valley. ^_^
  • Reply 32 of 82
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

What a complete farce. It just amazes me Apple have the gall to sell the AppleTV outside the USA. "World's Largest" store? Yeah, right. That's "World" as in "World Series" baseball yes - the game otherwise only played by girls outside the USA?

Um... Japan, Mexico, Panama, Taiwan, Cuba, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic sure don't seem to agree with you on the baseball thing.

• Reply 33 of 82
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Movies downloaded from the iTunes Store are downloaded in near-DVD quality at a resolution of 640x480 (up to 480, depending on the aspect ratio)

Dear Appleinsider,

could you please stop referring to iTunes movies as "near DVD quality"? I know that Apple do, but that doesn't make it true.

iTunes Movies actually have only 2/3 the pixels that an NTSC DVD has. If I offered you a job paying "near $30,000 P.A.", you accepted and then I paid you $20,000 P.A., would you be happy about that? Would you consider $20,000 to be "near" $30,000?

Thank you, that is all.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Dear Appleinsider,

could you please stop referring to iTunes movies as "near DVD quality"? I know that Apple do, but that doesn't make it true.

iTunes Movies actually have only 2/3 the pixels that an NTSC DVD has. If I offered you a job paying "near $30,000 P.A.", you accepted and then I paid you $20,000 P.A., would you be happy about that? Would you consider $20,000 to be "near" $30,000?

Thank you, that is all.

2/3rds the pixels is about 82% of the linear resolution, which is really what your eye picks up, and so I think the label is fair. OTOH I still wouldn't be 'happy' with 24,000 instead of 30,000 but of course I would read the fine print first.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:

Apple already has QT streaming so this would be great except I think people are expecting better than "near-DVD quality"--which is what Watch Now offers via WMP11--for their AppleTV/HDTV setup and probably want to also take these videos with them on their iPods/iPhones.

A better comparison is MS' offerings with the XBOX360 rentals. The only problem is that this setup won't play on your Computer or on your Zune.

The good way to offer rentals is to forget about rentals playing on iPods and phones and just offer the rental service for computers, and by extension, ATv. I think the market of people who want a 24hour download of a movie to watch on their ipod is so miniscule compared to people who rent movies to watch on their tvs, that apple shouldn't ignore it. The Xbox 360 setup seems to work fine, and right now is not really that expensive, compared to the feature set of Atv.

It's funny, though, that microsoft has failed to capitalize on the fact that they really have a potential upper-hand here. If they integrated the XBL system better with vista (and eventually zune), and used the basic online tech in xbox minus the gaming equipment, they'd have a cheaper version of Atv that's already streaming HD movie rentals...

I also thought the zune/xbox connection would be an obvious one, but that still hasn't happened - being able to use zune as an external hard drive for xbox content and save games, and then be able to share that at friends' places would have sold them a lot of zunes, but I guess that also would have eliminated their xbox hard drive sales...
  • Reply 36 of 82
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Dear Appleinsider,

Thank you, that is all.

Well, they need a "dumb" way to explain the resolution to the general public, who they think of as ignorant. They really can't say DVD quality, and they don't want want to say "year-old VHS tape quality" (which would be more appropriate) or give resolution numbers which will confuse everyone, so that's all they've got.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Well, they need a "dumb" way to explain the resolution to the general public, who they think of as ignorant. They really can't say DVD quality, and they don't want want to say "year-old VHS tape quality" (which would be more appropriate) or give resolution numbers which will confuse everyone, so that's all they've got.

My request was that Appleinsider cease perpetuating Apple's myth. The readership is more likely to understand resolution so should be able to cope.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I'm waiting for a rental movie service (and better resolution). That would be the true Netflix.

I'm waiting for full HD content, the new iMac, and more Asian movies... guess I might be waiting a long time. \
  • Reply 39 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

What a complete farce. It just amazes me Apple have the gall to sell the AppleTV outside the USA.

Yeah. How about that. And what about iPhoto, iMovie HD, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Shake, Aperture, and QuickTime 7 that Apple has introduced to compile, produce and edit HD quality videos, pics, etc.? What the hell was that for?

Why in the world would anybody want to take all that hard, exhausting, expensive, time-consuming effort and post it on a big screen where anybodyelse could have a look at it? Big, beautiful, yes, high definition pictures taken by that new digital SLR and HD video camera that you just had to have before mom and dad's 25th wedding anniversary party.

Who cares if you are the only person that has seen your mom and dad's anniversary video since the party?

Nah. Just leave it where it was created in the first place. On your HD video camera. Or if you remember to it on your PC, so a couple of other people could cram behind to see it.

Yep. Apple certainly has gall. Imagine to think that anybody would want to share anything that they had only seen on their own computer. Let them get their own. Such narrow mindedness!
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Um... Japan, Mexico, Panama, Taiwan, Cuba, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic sure don't seem to agree with you on the baseball thing.

They don't have to. It's still a girls game here.