High school teens say they'll plunk down $500 for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 143
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Yeah a fixed battery is only going to cause problems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't know how much credibility there is in this report, but a removable battery is a must. Don't be that stupid, Apple. Damn!

To chime in on the other side I was VERY glad to see this. I have never carried an extra battery but I have had multiple problems with a loose battery or dirty contacts (even though I don't remove the battery). Several times when the phone wouldn't turn on I simply opened the battery compartment, removed the battery, cleaned the contacts, put it back together and eureka, it works. These were not the 'free' phones) Having the battery soldered in is a big plus to me. I believe it will lengthen the life of the battery in the phone (not the battery itself) and reduce problems. I don't know of one person directly that carries extra batteries (yes I know they exist, just not in my circle of friend and business acquaintances). Everyone I know simply puts the phone on a charger either at home or in the car.
  • Reply 122 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Well,if you got it without a 2 year contract it would cost the same amount of money? I don't think the real issue isn't if it's subsidized or not, but rather what the phone's actual price is without a contract... The $500 tag was arrived at by apple with consideration to money/incentives Apple is getting from the phone company, and without those incentives, the price would be higher. You could think like a creative accountant or a PR guy and say that the phone company's incentives to apple are not subsidizing the phone, but realistically, that's false.

Apple's undoubtedly getting a cut of those nice 2 year contracts, and that is a factor in the price point.

Apple works deals that are often different from what others consider to be normal.

If ATT thinks that this phone will sell well, they could very easily stick a 2 yeat contract onto the right to buy it, without subsidizing its cost.

So, yes, I can see that. After all, how much have we whined about only ATT having this phone? Don't you think they are going to take advantage of that fact?

You have no idea how the price of the phone was derived. you can say anything you want to about it, but that doesn't make it true.

This phone is priced at about the levels other phones that are pretty much the same hardwarewise, without contracts. It's more than some, less than others.

The more desirable a phone is, the less it's going to be subsidized, at least in the beginning. Later on, it's often different. We saw that with the Razor.
  • Reply 123 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I don't think so either. What does bother me, however, is how a lot of teens -- and a fair number of adults -- walk (and drive!) around as if their cell phones have been surgically attached and can't be turned off.

When I see some guy with his cell phone blabbing on and on while he's pissing in the urinal at the airport... that's a bit too much.

When I see some woman in line at the bank, babbling incessantly about complete bullshit, and she doesn't even stop, or pause, this vapid conversation while she's conducting her transaction (treating the teller as if she might as well have been an ATM), and the cell phone never leaves her ear as she exits the bank, gets into her minivan, backs out with the cell phone pressed against her ear with her shoulder, and drives off still completely enmeshed in her trivial banter... that's a bit too much.

I totally agree with that!!!

There is an unfortunate lack of courtesy in todays society. People now think that everything is about them.

The lack of formal society that now exists, causes people to act, in public, the way they act at home.
  • Reply 124 of 143
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple works deals that are often different from what others consider to be normal.

If ATT thinks that this phone will sell well, they could very easily stick a 2 yeat contract onto the right to buy it, without subsidizing its cost.

So, yes, I can see that. After all, how much have we whined about only ATT having this phone? Don't you think they are going to take advantage of that fact?

You have no idea how the price of the phone was derived. you can say anything you want to about it, but that doesn't make it true.

This phone is priced at about the levels other phones that are pretty much the same hardwarewise, without contracts. It's more than some, less than others.

The more desirable a phone is, the less it's going to be subsidized, at least in the beginning. Later on, it's often different. We saw that with the Razor.

In this AI article, Citigroup, for what it's worth, thinks Apple gets 2-300 bucks for each contract, depending on whether it's bought via Apple or the phone company...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...pod_nanos.html
  • Reply 125 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

In this AI article, Citigroup, for what it's worth, thinks Apple gets 2-300 bucks for each contract, depending on whether it's bought via Apple or the phone company...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...pod_nanos.html

I know what it said, but they don't know either. I like the way people kick analysts when they say something they don't want to read, but then quote them when they say something they do want to read.

It doesn't even make sense, if your argument is that ATT is subsidizing the phone.

They can't be doing both.

Cheap phones are often 100% subsidized. But those phone are only worth $50 or so. Expensive phones are subsidized up to 50%. My Treo 700p costs $300 with a 2 year contract, about $600 without.

So, Apple would be getting $200 to $300 for each phone, plus ATT is subsidizing the phone to consumers?

These phones simply don't cost $700 to $900.
  • Reply 126 of 143
    [QUOTE=shetline;1067889]I don't think so either. What does bother me, however, is how a lot of teens -- and a fair number of adults -- walk (and drive!) around as if their cell phones have been surgically attached and can't be turned off.

When my son learned how to drive, I warned him about four girls in one car. The driver often is rubbernecking the two riders in the back seat.

When I notice a car moving strangely, the reason often is either a cell phone in operation or a foreign driver who did not grow up in a car culture.

I really enjoy technology. Seven macs here, three cellphones used by four people. (indispensable during the chauffeur years) But I KNOW I have done marginal driving while using my cellphone. It is not always possible to pull over and talk.

I recently paralleled a deliveryman TURNING THE CORNER with a cellphone in one hand and a PDA in the other hand. Frightening!
  • Reply 127 of 143
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

This is what's keeping Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Alltel, etc., execs up at night.

I don't think it's hyperbole at all to say that the iPhone and Apple TV over the next five years could could cause major upheaval in the mobile phone and cable/satellite markets.

Exactly, and I love every second of it. Verizon's poor customer service and lack of attention to customer interest, as well as ridiculous data charges (IMHO) have made me more apt to switch to cingular... If not 'just' for the iPhone, for a better customer experience.

From what I remember, Verizon had a chance before Cingular did to adopt the iPhone for the exclusive 2 year contract, but chose not to! And later reiterating after the iPhone Keynote that they were glad they had not taken it. If Verizon wants to keep me onboard, they better be offering me something someone else can't, or the same thing at a better deal. By switching to Cingular, I believe that I'm getting the best of both worlds (A better deal and something they cannot; willnot offer me)
  • Reply 128 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saiko View Post

Exactly, and I love every second of it. Verizon's poor customer service and lack of attention to customer interest, as well as ridiculous data charges (IMHO) have made me more apt to switch to cingular... If not 'just' for the iPhone, for a better customer experience.

From what I remember, Verizon had a chance before Cingular did to adopt the iPhone for the exclusive 2 year contract, but chose not to! And later reiterating after the iPhone Keynote that they were glad they had not taken it. If Verizon wants to keep me onboard, they better be offering me something someone else can't, or the same thing at a better deal. By switching to Cingular, I believe that I'm getting the best of both worlds (A better deal and something they cannot; willnot offer me)

I've said it before and I''ll state it again, regardless of the carrier you choose and the phone you buy everyone wins from this iPhone/AT&T deal. Cell phone service--at least in the US--will finally start pulling away from network controlled stagnation into user oriented services that force the manufacture and the network to work together.

---

1) I don't believe Apple ever said that, only that Verizon said that Apple had approached them x years ago about the deal and they declined. No way of knowing who Apple chose first.

2) This "2 year contract" is for customers buying an iPhone. There is no info as to how long Cingular gets exclusive rights to the iPhone in the US, though it's generally assumed to be more on the lines of 5 years.
  • Reply 129 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I don't believe Apple ever said that, only that Verizon said that Apple had approached them x years ago about the deal and they declined. No way of knowing who Apple chose first.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55442.html

Edit: Yeah, I meant more along the lines of thise statement within that article:

Quote:

"Verizon has enough strength in the market to be able to say to Apple, 'we'll pass for now,' and not be hurt too badly,"

imo, that comes off a little arrogant. Maybe its just me.
  • Reply 130 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thanks for the link. I read it but I don't see anything that disclaimed my original statement.
  • Reply 131 of 143
    Yeah, solipsism - I'm sorry, I misunderstood you at first, but now I see what you're saying.
  • Reply 132 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

I'm a senior and 18 and between my job and winnings from playing proffesional chess I have PLENTY of money to blow on this stuff.

I skipped class to watch the keynote when the iphone came out

I'm a 16-year-old sophomore and have a decent enough job to afford this stuff. I just need to save up.

(I watched the Keynote in computer class that day.)
  • Reply 133 of 143
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Well, I still think the iPhone MSPR is acceptable. I'm 27 and working at a school environment. Kids these days do have the latest and greatest AFAIK. 2 years ago, I went ahead and bought myself a $400 Nokia smartphone. It works pretty well and it's an unlocked phone.

Meanwhile, survey says doesn't really tell the whole story. BTW, all my co-workers want the iPhone.

I had my first cellphone when I was a high school junior, my parents didn't even know about it back then. I just used my debit card and even paid a $250 deposit.
  • Reply 134 of 143
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

You cleary are not a parent. Maby their parents actually care about them....

You older adults need to realize that you lived in differnt times. I see one member on here is 60 years old Did they even have electricity back then.

You clearly are not an adult (that being independent of age, of course).

My parents sent me to school for the day. They considered it my "job" and taught me that bothering people at work was not necessary. I don't remember a single unscheduled incident in 12 years that required my attention during the day; my teachers knew about any others in advance. *I* once necessitated contacting my mother during the day by poking a hole in my head on the corner of an open school window. A regular phone was perfectly adequate to relay a message.

At college, my parents called once a week, on Sunday mornings, a time they knew I'd be in my room because I was always still asleep. Still not that much to say: "How was class?" "Uhh, fine. Cat still alive?" "Yep." "OK." "OK, love you. Bye."

I know, too, that kids have jobs and money (though a causal connection is not justified -- many kids' banks are their spoiling parents). This is not new to the 21st Century. We saved up for stuff, too, like stereos and even cars (used, of course). That still does not justify burning the equivalent of a month's rent -- plus ongoing costs -- on what is basically a disposable gadget. (Senior-citizen analogy: Teen -- "Mom, I'm going to spend $200 on a cool, new Walkman." | Mom -- "You've saved enough for college already?")

As for my jealousy, I drove to school when I needed to for an extra-curricular event; otherwise I did ride the bus, (My stop was fairly early on the route, so it didn't take long. It was already paid for, too, after all.)

The only thing different about "my times" seems to be less self-righteousness, self-indulgence, and shallow dependence. Your ridiculing comments about those more experienced than you don't exactly reflect well on you, either.
  • Reply 135 of 143
    Saving your own money from a job and buying something you want shouldn't really be called "shallow". Sure, it is expensive, but is it really "wrong" to want to spend their own money that they rightfully have worked for on something?

(I'm not saying I'm getting an iPhone - I'm not; this is just a what-if.)
  • Reply 136 of 143
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Let's face it: If a kid wants one of these bad enough and the parent's willing to have the service in their name, let the kid save for it and take care of it him/herself.

Back in elementary school I wanted a pair of Reebok Pump sneakers. They were something like $100. I saved enough to lay them away at the store and worked to save the rest. I finally saved up enough that I bought them and owned my own pair of Reebok Pumps. I was proud of myself and I took care of those shoes because I worked hard for them. I think the only reason I stopped wearing them was because my feet grew out of them.

I pity the iPhone that is owned by a teenager who didn't pay a dime for it. They're going to care for it far less than someone who worked and sweated for it.
  • Reply 137 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

You clearly are not an adult (that being independent of age, of course).

My parents sent me to school for the day. They considered it my "job" and taught me that bothering people at work was not necessary. I don't remember a single unscheduled incident in 12 years that required my attention during the day; my teachers knew about any others in advance. *I* once necessitated contacting my mother during the day by poking a hole in my head on the corner of an open school window. A regular phone was perfectly adequate to relay a message.

At college, my parents called once a week, on Sunday mornings, a time they knew I'd be in my room because I was always still asleep. Still not that much to say: "How was class?" "Uhh, fine. Cat still alive?" "Yep." "OK." "OK, love you. Bye."

I know, too, that kids have jobs and money (though a causal connection is not justified -- many kids' banks are their spoiling parents). This is not new to the 21st Century. We saved up for stuff, too, like stereos and even cars (used, of course). That still does not justify burning the equivalent of a month's rent -- plus ongoing costs -- on what is basically a disposable gadget. (Senior-citizen analogy: Teen -- "Mom, I'm going to spend $200 on a cool, new Walkman." | Mom -- "You've saved enough for college already?")

As for my jealousy, I drove to school when I needed to for an extra-curricular event; otherwise I did ride the bus, (My stop was fairly early on the route, so it didn't take long. It was already paid for, too, after all.)

The only thing different about "my times" seems to be less self-righteousness, self-indulgence, and shallow dependence. Your ridiculing comments about those more experienced than you don't exactly reflect well on you, either.

You're lucky you didn't have a shooting incident at your school as have several others.

You obviously didn't live here in NYC when you were in school, or were lucky enough to do so between blackouts, and 9/11.

It was 9/11 that had us change our minds about cell phones.

Your reasoning is poor. This is like insurance. You pay for it, but hope to never need it.
  • Reply 138 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your reasoning is poor. This is like insurance. You pay for it, but hope to never need it.

Speaking as a college student: you just want insurance in the form of a cellphone? Fine, go to your local T-Mobile/Cingular store/Boost/Walmart/etc and pick up a prepaid phone. $50 on average, and they usually come with some airtime. Done. I have a T-Mobile MDA right now; it does what I need it to, so I won't be buying the iPhone. But I don't kid myself by saying it's just for insurance. You want an insurance phone, a cheap pre-paid is good enough for the cost of a few meals. You want a multimedia/smartphone, you get the iPhone/Blackberry/[whatever] for the cost of rent.
  • Reply 139 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunrunforfun View Post

Speaking as a college student: you just want insurance in the form of a cellphone? Fine, go to your local T-Mobile/Cingular store/Boost/Walmart/etc and pick up a prepaid phone. $50 on average, and they usually come with some airtime. Done. I have a T-Mobile MDA right now; it does what I need it to, so I won't be buying the iPhone. But I don't kid myself by saying it's just for insurance. You want an insurance phone, a cheap pre-paid is good enough for the cost of a few meals. You want a multimedia/smartphone, you get the iPhone/Blackberry/[whatever] for the cost of rent.

You're kidding yourself, because you're making a silly argument here.

I'm not a college student. I made that pretty clear.

If you may as well get a cell, why not get one that you will enjoy having?

If I can afford to get my family these phones, why shouldn't I?

I really don't get your point.

Obviously, if you can't afford something, you shouldn't get it, but if you can, then what's the problem?

We didn't have cells until after 9/11, but when we got them, because of it, I got ones that we would have some fun with as well.

They were useful during the blackout.

You think I must get cheap ones because they can be useful during a crisis? They can't be used for anything else?

Do you buy the cheapest insurance you can find as well, and only go to cheap restaurants when you are hungry?
  • Reply 140 of 143
    It's fine if you can afford it; that's great. Have fun with it; it's an awesome phone. Just don't try to justify the iPhone as an "emergency phone". You said it yourself: you want to have a phone that you want to enjoy, not just use in case of an emergency. If it really *were* just for an emergency, then any extra money you put into the phone for capabilities besides calling is pointless... because the point of having an "emergency phone" is - again - to be used just during emergencies. This applies regardless of whether or not you're a college student.

So review: if someone wants to buy a phone for emergency purposes, but wants also to have cool features that he can enjoy, like iPod capabilities with a massive screen, then you want - perhaps almost need - an iPhone. If someone just wants an emergency phone to be used during an emergency because you want to call someone only when your plane is hijacked, or a bus blows up, or there's a riot, then all you really need is a pre-paid phone. I hope my English is comprehendable...

If I want to have a special event, a dress-up dinner, then I'll pay more. But if i know I have leftovers at home, and my blood sugar is low (being a diabetic and all), I might stop at a fast food joint just to grab a soda and fries.

If I think that I might be in a situation where my life or my property might really be in danger, I'll get the extra insurance. But if the only reason I'm buying insurance is because it's legally required and I think I'll be perfectly fine, I'll pay for the cheapest insurance possible.