Apple unifies interface look in new Leopard seed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    It looks quite clear to me that they've squared off the edges. You can even see the bevel shade all the way round. There could well be some minor clipping due to the screenshot but still I am actually very pleased with the way this is. I am tired of rounded windows because they serve no purpose. I actually noticed XP with some and I thought it was horrible too.

I'm not saying get rid of them entirely but in the real world, objects with sharp edges have such a fine bevel that you tend to only notice it due to the shading. That's how you fake it in 3D. You can model a perfectly sharp object but just modify the normals.

I could be wrong but you can't deny that if you trace the line from above the resize buttons in Tiger's Finder, you hit the base of the curve. In that screenshot, there is quite a bit of space above the buttons and no curve in sight. So at the very least, they've sharpened it to the same level as itunes, which I'd also be very pleased with. It also backs up the rumor that Apple use itunes for experimental interface developments.

I am also a big fan of the unified interface. I still want theme support or even just being able to change the button colors to more that grey and blue but at least they're moving in the right direction.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Interesting if you look at the link in the article there is a finder.jpg, with what appears to be a thumbnail/preview button.

That would be QuickLook.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

Now lets just hope they can get these cowboys who work on the iTunes UI in check...

The new look in Leopard is actually identical to iTunes 7 - even the less rounded corners are everywhere now
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I don't like it either although it only appears in Safari as far I can see from looking at all of the screenshots. It seems appropriate in something like iTunes where the play button is bigger, but in Safari it just looks sloppy.

They aren't finished yet. Please remember that they are in the procees of making everything compatible with resolution independence.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It looks quite clear to me that they've squared off the edges. You can even see the bevel shade all the way round. There could well be some minor clipping due to the screenshot but still I am actually very pleased with the way this is.

It's still rounded, just a smaller radius. Did you take a look at the images shown in Flickr account linked by the story?

http://flickr.com/photos/shrimpdesign/tags/leopard/
  • Reply 46 of 76
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    ...well, this is disappointing. They call this an improved interface?
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101 View Post

.They call this an improved interface?

AFAIK Apple hasn't even said a word yet
  • Reply 48 of 76
    blascockblascock Posts: 153member
    The way I see it, mac OS X might need a real overhaul soon. If you think about the competition. First Mac OS X came out, than microsoft "caught up" in terms of UI with XP. Now we've seen minor improvements, but now Microsoft has leapfrogged with a new design with Vista. It seems to me that Leopard won't be a big of a change as XP to Vista was.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's still rounded, just a smaller radius. Did you take a look at the images shown in Flickr account linked by the story?

http://flickr.com/photos/shrimpdesign/tags/leopard/

i had a look at those pics. on one of the comments for the third picture, someone said something that got me thinking.

Quote:

I noticed during the iPhone preview "there was no scrollbar" (only when needed it would appear when scrolling then disappear when not).

Hmm, I wonder if they are going to do that sort of thing in Leopard. It would make sense instead of having the arrows and an empty scrollbar bevel when not needed.

When you are not scrolling, the scroll bar and arrows are hidded, and when you scroll, either by using a mouse or two fingers on a track pad, its appears. Then, when you have finished scrolling, it fades away...

I think this would be pretty cool. They might have to make it optional though, might get annoying IMO.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

The way I see it, mac OS X might need a real overhaul soon.

You're gonna want to specify what exactly you want improved.

Quote:

It seems to me that Leopard won't be a big of a change as XP to Vista was.

Duh? There were five and a half years between XP and Vista, vs. two and a half between Tiger and Leopard. Why would Leopard have to be as big a change? Between XP and Vista, we've had Puma, Jaguar, Panther and Tiger.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

i had a look at those pics. on one of the comments for the third picture, someone said something that got me thinking.

When you are not scrolling, the scroll bar and arrows are hidded, and when you scroll, either by using a mouse or two fingers on a track pad, its appears. Then, when you have finished scrolling, it fades away...

I think this would be pretty cool. They might have to make it optional though, might get annoying IMO.

Obviously that is not going to happen since there is one fundamental difference between the iPhone UI and the Mac: on the iPhone you scroll by simply dragging with your fingers anywhere in the window, whereas on the Mac you primarily scroll by dragging or clicking the scrollbar. And how would you do that if the scrollbar was hidden? Not everyone uses a scrolling mouse or scrolling trackpad, you know...
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patrician View Post

Obviously that is not going to happen since there is one fundamental difference between the iPhone UI and the Mac: on the iPhone you scroll by simply dragging with your fingers anywhere in the window, whereas on the Mac you primarily scroll by dragging or clicking the scrollbar. And how would you do that if the scrollbar was hidden? Not everyone uses a scrolling mouse or scrolling trackpad, you know...

sorry, forgot to add that when your mouse goes over the area where the scroll bar should be, it appears, like if you hide the dock, you go to the screen edge where you have it placed and it pops up.

sorry, should have included that.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:

sorry, forgot to add that when your mouse goes over the area where the scroll bar should be, it appears, like if you hide the dock, you go to the screen edge where you have it placed and it pops up.

sorry, should have included that.

All right, but that would still needlessly complicate things. Interface elements that hide away for no particular reason. I mean, it makes sense in full-screen QuickTime and fullscreen iPhoto because then you want to get everything else away and just see your content. But here you mean that all windows should hide crucial navigational elements simply to gain a few pixels of horizontal space? And then the user has to mouse over them everytime he wants to manipulate the sliders, or even just when he wants to see where the sliders are, to check how for down the document he has read for instance? I just don't see it happening.

And imagine: There I am sitting reading my document without any visual feedback on how far I have read. Right? Then I decide I want to use the slider to scroll my document. Ok? But since I don't know where the slider is on the y-axis (since I don't know how far I have read), then first I have to move my pointer along the x-axis to make the scrollbar appear, and then I have to move it along the y-axis to actually reach the slider that has now appeared. That's needlessly complicated and quite frankly; inelegant. Not going to happen.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:

All right, but that would still needlessly complicate things. Interface elements that hide away for no particular reason. I mean, it makes sense in full-screen QuickTime and fullscreen iPhoto because then you want to get everything else away and just see your content. But here you mean that all windows should hide crucial navigational elements simply to gain a few pixels of horizontal space? And then the user has to mouse over them everytime he wants to manipulate the sliders, or even just when he wants to see where the sliders are, to check how for down the document he has read for instance? I just don't see it happening.

And imagine: There I am sitting reading my document without any visual feedback on how far I have read. Right? Then I decide I want to use the slider to scroll my document. Ok? But since I don't know where the slider is on the y-axis (since I don't know how far I have read), then first I have to move my pointer along the x-axis to make the scrollbar appear, and then I have to move it along the y-axis to actually reach the slider that has now appeared. That's needlessly complicated and quite frankly; inelegant. Not going to happen.

ok i see where you're coming from. i understand that different people work in different ways. the way i navigate around my computer is through using the trackpad, i hardly ever use the scroll bars to move what i am looking at. for me this method would work. like i said, i think it should be an option, not necessarily the default, but i like the idea and i think it should be done. not a necessity though.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    so we know for sure this isnt fake...right?

Im not sure if i like the GUI that dark...

but anyways, does anyone think that this is the GUI we will end up with in the end? if not, what do you think we will see? i just want to know your thoughts, even though i know no one really actually knows
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:

ok i see where you're coming from. i understand that different people work in different ways. the way i navigate around my computer is through using the trackpad, i hardly ever use the scroll bars to move what i am looking at. for me this method would work. like i said, i think it should be an option, not necessarily the default, but i like the idea and i think it should be done. not a necessity though.

The road to hell is paved with UI options.

• Reply 57 of 76
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

UNO rocks!

Ok, so what the heck is UNO?
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

Ok, so what the heck is UNO?

http://gui.interacto.net/
  • Reply 59 of 76
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    So, did anyone else notice that the crumpled metal and the shine are all over the FCS 2 page? (of course you did) It even has QuickLook-like popups for the products and reflections, which, though not new, are new for this context. I think this is the biggest clue, and an interesting one, because it suggests that glossy enamel is not going to be the total image of Leopard.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The road to hell is paved with UI options.

There has to be a compromise somewhere. Being too limited can be as dangerous as too complex. One can't expect that everyone behave the same way, and that everyone and every need conform to the same thing.