In short: Michigan saga, iPod supplier bust, new retail concepts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    A couple of quick points:

1. The fact that there never was any iPod proposal was pointed out clearly and decisively, with full sourcing, by myself several days ago in the comments section of the previous story. Why it took AI so long to issue this correction I have no idea.

2. The improper use of "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" has been corrected on the main AI story page, but still reads "Democrat Party" in the first comment version above.

3. For those who doubt the whole "deliberate-misuse-of-Democrat" thing, here's more info about it for ya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(phrase)
  • Reply 22 of 41
    aimanaiman Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

3. For those who doubt the whole "deliberate-misuse-of-Democrat" thing, here's more info about it for ya:

Corrected link:

• Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I won't bother finding ... more references. Just do ... a favor and stop ..... proclaiming that "Apple are" is wrong; it is not.

Chucker is 100% right. And, btw, although their English sounds a bit strange to Americans, the British do know a thing or two about the language that we, on this side of the Atlantic, could learn from.

That reminds me: whatever happened to "-ly" in American English?

Makes me feel bad.

PS: My edits of Chucker are so that I don't want someone thinking that he was yelling at something I said.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    > That reminds me: whatever happened to "-ly" in American English?

Tom Lehrer (on behalf of the GE-sponsored Electric Company) hijacked the colloquial

adjectival phrase, in his infamous 1972 song "L-Y". V.i.z.

http://www.bearcy.com/tomlehrer.html

towards the end, where something or someone (possibly a leopard) sneaks

past a tiger...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

As that link explains, "Democrat Party" is not incorrect either.

Quote:

Some believe that the use of the noun "Democrat" as an adjective is ungrammatical on the grounds that "Democratic Party" is not a proper noun, but a noun modified by an adjective.[19] Using a noun as a modifier of another noun is not grammatically incorrect in modern English in the formation of a compound noun, i.e. "shoe store," "school bus," "peace movement," "Senate election," etc. Americans commonly speak of "the Iraq war" rather than "the Iraqi war."[20][21]

You know a thread sucks when it contains two accusations of common English mistakes, when neither of them is common, or, for that matter, a mistake.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Chucker is 100% right. And, btw, although their English sounds a bit strange to Americans, the British do know a thing or two about the language that we, on this side of the Atlantic, could learn from.

That reminds me: whatever happened to "-ly" in American English?

Makes me feel bad.

PS: My edits of Chucker are so that I don't want someone thinking that he was yelling at something I said.

Thank you. After all, don’t forget where the language is from.

Now I’m bound to get flamed about the origin of the English language, so here goes:

• Indo-European

• Germanic

• West Germanic

• Anglo-Frisian

• Anglic

• Anglo-Frisian

English has a large amount of vocabulary from the Norman language, from when the Normans invaded England. This is where we get a lot of our more complex words from. Simpler words, such as ‘bread’ are derived from Old Norse, an extinct Germanic language (you can see their cognates in languages such as German ‘Brot’, Danish ‘brød’ and Icelandic ‘brauð’). Compare to the French ‘pain’ and its cognates the Italian ‘pane’ and Spanish ‘pan’ (all Romance languages).

Now, if you were that bothered, you will accept that the Brits can teach you Yanks a thing or two about our language (which, by definition, is not our language, but for argument’s sake).
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

You know a thread sucks when it contains two accusations of common English mistakes, when neither of them is common, or, for that matter, a mistake.

Oh, c'mon, man, it's not that bad. All work and no play makes us dull boys (and gals).....

Sometimes it's nice to discuss the weather.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, c'mon, man, it's not that bad. All work and no play makes us dull boys (and gals).....

I wasn't serious. I find it more amusing than sucky, really.

Quote:

Sometimes it's nice to discuss the weather.

Yes, especially when it's this awesome.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

I wasn't serious. I find it more amusing than sucky, really.

Yes, especially when it's this awesome.

It is nice today, I agree. I think we should all spend some more time outside and less on our Macs. Unless of course, the weather where you are is miserable. If not, move yo? ass!
  • Reply 30 of 41
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

It is nice today, I agree. I think we should all spend some more time outside and less on our Macs. Unless of course, the weather where you are is miserable. If not, move yo? ass!

What kind of logic is that? Just move the Mac outside.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

> That reminds me: whatever happened to "-ly" in American English?

Tom Lehrer (on behalf of the GE-sponsored Electric Company) hijacked the colloquial

adjectival phrase, in his infamous 1972 song "L-Y". V.i.z.

http://www.bearcy.com/tomlehrer.html

towards the end, where something or someone (possibly a leopard) sneaks

past a tiger...

Brilliant!

Altho, he could have added a verse on "...... think different. L. Y." (Had to find an Apple connection before this thread was shot down for being too far out of line).

• Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

What kind of logic is that? Just move the Mac outside.

Yeah, I know, I typed that message whilst on my MacBook in the garden.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

As that link explains, "Democrat Party" is not incorrect either.

A more objective review of the link reveals it has always been intended to insult.

In addition, you only need to see the party name (as it is used around the world) to see it is "Democratic Party".

Not that I'm a big fan of the Dems, but aren't we all tired of the Repubs making up their own "facts"?

Chris
  • Reply 34 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

As has been discussed a billion and one times here on AppleInsider, "Apple are" is a correct, though uncommon, form.

It's not used at all in American English, though it is used in British English.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    About the article:

While Apple's stores may sport a somewhat different look in the future, Bulgari, the big luxury manufacturer, just spent over $3 million to re-do its main store here in NYC.

Now it looks very much like Apple's GM Plaza store, minus the electronic products, of course.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

We're Murricans. For us, a company is singular, at any and all times. Them UKers don't know how to speak.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Thank you. After all, don?t forget where the language is from.

Now I?m bound to get flamed about the origin of the English language, so here goes:

? Indo-European

? Germanic

? West Germanic

? Anglo-Frisian

? Anglic

? Anglo-Frisian

Now, if you were that bothered, you will accept that the Brits can teach you Yanks a thing or two about our language (which, by definition, is not our language, but for argument?s sake).

Can't teach us a thing. We speak American English, ever since we kicked your ass (and your occupying lobsterbacks) out of our country. First isn't anything but prior.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    [QUOTE=Chucker;1069914]As that link explains, "Democrat Party" is not incorrect either.

It's our party. We name it, not you, Lord Plushbottom.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    You know, to be more substantial -- learn to spot the political ambush -- the initial news item that got everyone in a tizzy seems to be a politically-motivated leak to get people talking about this "wasteful" trip. It's typical in politics. The largest example of the ambush was the idea that "the first thing" that Clinton wanted to do was decree that gays were allowed in the military. He had no immediate plans to do it, but the new president then found himself having to react to a well-timed plant. There's no evidence that he would have done anything but announce a presidential commission, do the research, and change the rules a year or two down the line.

There seems to be a lot of Brits in this forum, welcome. It may astonish you, but US politics are a pretty bareknuckle business.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Can't teach us a thing. We speak American English, ever since we kicked your ass (and your occupying lobsterbacks) out of our country. First isn't anything but prior.

What the hell. At least our country isn?t run by an escaped mental patient.