iPhone could turn technology world on its ear, study shows

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

From what it seems the iPhone may not ship until later June, so you should probably just go on the Apple site, refreshing constantly, and pre-order it as soon as Steve Jobs announces you can.

With the way Cingular works I'm expecting hugh constraints at Cingular stores/resellers.

The Apple Store will be the best way to get ahold of an iPhone.

Remember, the phone is priced with contract so I don't think you can do an internet pre-order for the iPhone unless there is a way to signup online for the contract.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple, you have got to be absolutely crazy if you think I'm going to leave behind Pocket Quicken, FileMaker Pro, Vindigo, Dir Asst, SOHO Notes' Palm synchronization conduit, and all of my games -- all of which run beautifully on my Treo 650 and sync perfectly with my Mac.

Scotty321, obvious limitations aside, you could publish FileMaker Pro to the web and access it through iPhone's browser.

Also, you might consider switching from Pocket Quicken to QuickBooks online and again access your financial information from the browser.

Like you, though, I'm going to wait awhile. It's better for the early-adopters to test it.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Gee. It sounds like you need a laptop really bad.

Why is that so, if an existing PDA can do the job? There's a significant size and cost difference that way.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why do people put their signature/initials at the end of posts when your name is off to the left of the post?

Ask Jaddie.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

To judge by the comments I read on the internet, AT&T (Cingular) may be no better than Verizon. But there's absolutely no question that Verizon's customer service (not to mention the performance of their network in the San Francisco Bay Area) is really awful.

Reception quality is one of those things that vary by region, it just depends on the infrastructure and obstacles are in place. The last time I saw any numbers, all the players averaged a service level was less than 5% different from the norm, meaning that they are all very close together in reception quality, on average.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    The survey counteracted the initial knee-jerk FUD from all the typical places from Palm to MS to Therault, & many others who just rejected the iPhone out of hand, by showing that consumers do understand when an outstanding new product concept is shown.

The iPhone is hot for so many reasons that register with Consumers:

1. iPhone interface: Inconsitent, cluttered, interfaces some so small you can read/see them easily

2. End of Keyboards: Crazy non-standard keyboards that seem to have keys malfunction too often

3. Routine Sync w/Macs: Syncing without becoming a software wiz

4. Easy Web Access: Ability to easily get on the web w/WiFi & w/o a laptop

5. Accessing your Mac for various things other than sync will no doubt occur remotely

6. 3rd Party Apps: No question once Apple approves a new appl, it will be on iTunes and there will be lots of them.

7. Zoomable Self-Righting Screen: Instantly recodgnized for its value & long overdue.

8. Overall EASE OF USE: Perhaps most important of all
  • Reply 27 of 67
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    As much as the iphone isn't a "smartphone" to me it is. I was all for iphone initally and still am but now I realize I'm not a power cell phone user, I don't need a full blown next generation ipod phone and internet in one.

- I barely use the net on phones for anything other than downloading a game, which I'm sure I will be able to do through itunes.

- I don't need special coverflow with tracks on the back

- i don't really need the huge screen

I just want more like an ipod nano blended into a phone, a 2 mega pixel camera is fine.

If apple catered to the average joe phone market they could make even more.

They could keep iphone cingular only and have iphone mini open to all providers.

Of course there is some razr out there that does that stuff but it's UI is horrible and I kinda hate motorola, I want to drink the kool-aid and give Jobs and Ive the money. And I'm sure they're design would kill the razr
  • Reply 28 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let's just hope this can translate into that mythical target stock price of...what... $127?
  • Reply 29 of 67
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let's just hope this can translate into that mythical target stock price of...what... $127?

I thought that was closer to $150 by now? I'm holding off until the analysts say it will double within the year. All of these promises of 50-75% increases over the next year just aren't high enough for me to replace lottery tickets in my savings plan...
  • Reply 30 of 67
    jbelkinjbelkin Posts: 74member
    Finally, a poll that sounds like an actual slice of America and not people from Redmond, WA or people in federal prisons think ..
  • Reply 31 of 67
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    I still can't imagine it being much of an email-intensive phone using the touch screen. Also, so far the only the only mail accounts it apparently supports are .Mac and Yahoo, so everyone else will have to rely on web-based mail.

Or much use to business users since it won't recognize any MSOffice documents (or PDF for that matter)...

I think if Apple had any plans to make it an open system for programs, document types, etc. they would have told developers by now so all the options would be visible at launch, so I reject the notion that it's just going to be a big surprise at launch that it's a useful business phone.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    I want the iPhone because I'm a teenager and my social status is based on all the cool shit I can fit in my pocket.

Seriously though, I do want the iPhone. I love the interface (night and day with my razr's); I'm happy with Cingular service in my area.

But most of all, with all pro's and con's aside this phone is cool as F@$%.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    everyone laughed at apple when the iPod was introduced. Who listens to walkmans anymore. They made a cool product that everyone wanted after their friends got one and discovered how easy it worked with iTunes . 100 million iPods and later people still can't believe what a huge success it was. This time with the iPhone, apple has an even bigger hit for two reasons. Everyone pretty much has a cell phone, but after the play with the iPhone they will switch. All we need is 5% and apple will sell 20 million easily. Secondly every person with an iPod will eventually replace them with an iPhone. It will take 10 years but they will, because they will want a better iPod that does everything that the iPhone will do. This is a no brainer. Apple stock is cheap right now.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    I'll be ditching my Sprint contract when the iPhone ships, as will my business associate and his wife, and probably our other associate. The device is revolutionary in the context of day to day usage. None of us can wait to get our hands on one.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Also, so far the only the only mail accounts it apparently supports are .Mac and Yahoo, so everyone else will have to rely on web-based mail.

Where did you get that? Yahoo has setup a free push service for iPhone users but you can most certainly use any POP, IMAP, and Exchange via IMAP mail accounts in the iPhone's Mail.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I'm going to have to wait for a while - a mountain of medical bills that have to be paid first.

The other reason I'm waiting is for other versions of the iPhone to show up. Far more storage will also allow me to use the iPhone to back up critical files when taking a business trip. I don't care if it is a HD or the 32 Gb FLASH chips starting to come out - I want that protection. (It also allows for a tax deduction!)

Looking at other apps I'll also need, a good currency exchange program (Currencies Converter is my current choice), a password protected listing for passwords I forget (like Splash ID), World Times, a good Memo pad and (hopefully) a minimal FileMaker that interfaces with the Mac's version.

I think it will also be interesting to see what Apple does with Widgets from the Mac. Because the iPhone uses OS X it may be that Widgets are added to the main menu, with only approved Widgets being allowed to be downloaded.

I believe that there will be more development on the iPhone the first year it is on the market than Apple spent in the 2.5 years getting it to market. We'll have some exciting options by then (especially with far more memory and Leopard selling very well) and that is about the time I hope to get one.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    it amazes me how many people post something that's already been said 5 posts earlier. please read before you write. that being said: cingular/att coverage is perfect in connecticut, never had a problem west of boston [cambridge, arlington, up to concord]

if you think a phone needs to run some dumbed down ms office to be smart... dumbed down isn't smart.

i agree with g5man, everyone who owns an ipod now will replace it eventually - with an iphone.

nobody wants to carry around 2 gadgets when one will do both + more.

sure i'll pick up an iPhone in a couple of years... once my 1st gen iPhone is getting old, and i want the new features coming as they always do - gps/higher res cam/video cam... i don't need to surf the web at fios speed on a phone, just check the weather and look up phone numbers. the iPhone will make other manufacturers [hello, moto?] think about the UI, improve the junk they've got now, and that will "turn the tech world on it's ear"... or somethin
  • Reply 38 of 67
    First off, i want to say this, since it hasn't been said yet. that it amazes me how many people post something that's already been said 5 posts earlier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i agree with g5man, everyone who owns an ipod now will replace it eventually - with an iphone. nobody wants to carry around 2 gadgets when one will do both + more.

Not gonna happen. I don't want to use my iPhone when I go running. I didn't get an iPod until the Mini came out because I wanted something small enough to strap to my arm.

MostI would have agreed with, but the 'everyone' qualifier is too absolute.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    This iPhone is just so great I'll buy one for myself, one for my mom another one for my niece.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Sorry Apple, you won't be making a PENNY from me until you allow 3rd-party applications on the iPhone.

Apple, you have got to be absolutely crazy if you think I'm going to leave behind Pocket Quicken, FileMaker Pro, Vindigo, Dir Asst, SOHO Notes' Palm synchronization conduit, and all of my games -- all of which run beautifully on my Treo 650 and sync perfectly with my Mac.

The iPhone isn't a smartphone. It's a phone that plays music.

A real smartphone is the Treo.

Apple NEVER said that third party apps WOULDN'T be on the phone, just that they would have to go through Apple.