Has the Vista bubble burst?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Users force Dell to resurrect XP

This can't be good news for Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    This is gotta get Gates to be silently fuming.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    edtedt Posts: 1member
    They are still buying a MicroSoft OS, and there are rumors around that MicroSoft is looking to end at least some versions of XP support soon (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...103-5891.html) **, so people who buy new XP machines may have to upgrade those machines to Vista even if they don't want to (depending on what programs they use and compatability). So they will have sold 2 operating systems instead of one.

Of course, this will drive at least a few people to look for for other, non-MS alternatives. Myself included.

**Sorry, no HTML skills
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Windows is Windows is Windows. It doesn't matter which version is sold-- the business model keeps M$ is charge.

That is, until people realize there are alternatives to the OS they "choose" (that lovable, six year old, good enough kludge with 200,000+ exploits).
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matracer View Post

This can't be good news for Microsoft

Frankly, as in the "Bloated" ad by Apple, I wish Dell would sell blank machines and let us install XP from scratch without all the BS.

Frankly, I am a new Mac owner BECAUSE Dell and Microsoft forced me to by Vista! My boss wanted a new computer. I tried to buy it with XP knowing that new MS systems are shakey at best. I couldn't get it. So when the Vista rig arrived, it looked like a whored out Mac. Then the Vista firewall started the "confirm or deny" thing like the Apple ad. I litterally laughed out loud while setting the machine up.

After my boss came in saying how cool Vista was, I showed him my new MBP 17" and he felt like he could of had the V8.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I think this is definitley bad news for M$. Six years in the making and only 3 months after release and people are saying "hmmmm....can i stick with XP". Vista is beginning to sound like a dud.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    Blah.

I've seen Windows 95 come and go, I've seen Windows 98 come and go, 2000, ME, XP, you get the idea.

The computer market is exponentially growing each year, meaning millions of people buy new machines each year, and most people don't buy Apple machines because they aren't given much exposure to Apple products outside of the iPod.

Therefore, these people will likely buy machines that run Windows Vista. Like it or not, they might not even know or care of the differences between Vista and XP, as far as I've seen, MOST people who DO know, WANT Vista over XP.

I'm not in any way saying Vista is better than OS X (I never would), but it is better than XP in most ways, especially for your average consumer. Of course they will buy it!

5 years down the road, we'll be talking about XP the way we talk about Windows 2000 right now.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post

Like it or not, they might not even know or care of the differences between Vista and XP, as far as I've seen, MOST people who DO know, WANT Vista over XP.

Speak for yourself. As a gamer, I know plenty about Vista and despite DX10, I'm not switching anytime soon. Run by any gaming forum and you'll find no lack of venom being spewed at Vista. You'll be hard-pressed to find any gamer who wants to switch; most are holding out as long as possible. Businesses likewise are turning up their nose. Average consumers are confused as hell - have you been to a Best Buy recently? "MOST" people, my rear.

Here's another article that details some of Microsoft's other issues with Vista: Windows Me II
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Blah.

I've seen Windows 95 come and go, I've seen Windows 98 come and go, 2000, ME, XP, you get the idea.

The computer market is exponentially growing each year, meaning millions of people buy new machines each year, and most people don't buy Apple machines because they aren't given much exposure to Apple products outside of the iPod.

Therefore, these people will likely buy machines that run Windows Vista. Like it or not, they might not even know or care of the differences between Vista and XP, as far as I've seen, MOST people who DO know, WANT Vista over XP.

I'm not in any way saying Vista is better than OS X (I never would), but it is better than XP in most ways, especially for your average consumer. Of course they will buy it!

5 years down the road, we'll be talking about XP the way we talk about Windows 2000 right now.

Sorry my point is this.

On one hand you have Apple who within 5 years perfectly replicated OS X from PPC to intel and not only did it work as it should, but it allowed you to run PPC software as if it was intel native.

On the other hand you have Microsoft who have been creating software for the intel processor for 30 ish years. Yet over 6 years development the best they can come up with is Vista that cannot even support 3rd party XP drivers. See Not a Happy Bunny

Why can't M$ produce a good solid operating system. When 11,000 Dell customers want xp over vista something big must be wrong with Vista.

I wonder how many Apple customers will not want leopard on their new Mac when it comes out. Not one I think.

Buy cheap you get cheap, pay a little more you get something better. When M$ sheep eventually realise this, M$ will be in trouble.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I am a new Apple user. I am here because of Vista. If Vista is their roadmap I don't want to be on that road.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Blah.

The way you talk about it maybe; the only reason I upgraded to XP from 2000 just last year was because of XP only software (i.e., a game! ) that i wanted to run...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    What bubble are we talking about?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    I agree totally with you guys, and I don't really give a damn about Vista, thing is a lot of people will still buy it regardless :P

To that, people would still happily buy HPs (people who claim they'll never buy a Compaq again because the last one got REALLY slow after a year), running Vista
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    MS reports quarterly earnings tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if they fess up about their bogus report of 20 million Vista units sold in a month or cook the books to make sales look good. If you get a chance listen to the Conference call tomorrow to see if Mt. Ballmer erupts as analysts ask tough questions about the griping and lack of enthusiasm by the public for Vista.