End of April...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard — but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple usually doesn't go off-message like that. They talk to developers about things that are related to the development process. New hardware can fits development, but iLife does not. Not that I think it's likely, they might talk about third party development systems for iPod & iPhone, and I'm a little more certain they will talk about Xcode 3, Obj C 2 etc.

iLife '03, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 3, 2003

iLife '04, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 6, 2004

iLife '05, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 11, 2005

iLife '06, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 10, 2006

yea, based on the pattern I'd say no iLife at the WWDC.

But hardware releases of Mac Pros and iMacs have occured.

With past iMacs they havent gone into as much detail, just updates.

With Mac Pros, they have.

But i doubt we'd see a Mac Pro update...
  • Reply 22 of 27
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple was set to announce a new iMac at WWDC along with displays in 2004. This is the current form factor cinema display and iMac (sans iSight of course). As you will recall, Apple ended up messing up, and had to announce that the new iMac wasn't ready yet. I believe an insufficient supply of the G5 chip was to blame for the delay.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard ? but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.

I too believe that we will see new hardware at WWDC, and most probably iMacs. Let's not forget also the little bird thread and a more recent report from AI. Although little bird's credibility is ruined at least as far as the time frame is concerned, the AI report comes to support the substance of the rumor about a new iMac design.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

As you will recall, Apple ended up messing up, and had to announce that the new iMac wasn't ready yet. I believe an insufficient supply of the G5 chip was to blame for the delay.

Yes, I remember, the general consensus was that the G5 was the problem. IBM had some trouble to lower the power of the G5s so that they could be used in a slim machine like the iMac that Apple had still under the wraps. They managed it somehow but the first run was rather problematic (heat issues and fan noise).

And you sure remember all this rage 2-3 years ago about a G5 Powerbook. How silly does it looks today.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I too believe that we will see new hardware at WWDC, and most probably iMacs. Let's not forget also the little bird thread and a more recent report from AI. Although little bird's credibility is ruined at least as far as the time frame is concerned, the AI report comes to support the substance of the rumor about a new iMac design.

i'm trying to envision a dramatically redesigned iMac. the only dramatic redesign i can imagine would be an iMac with minimal or even no frame, where the screen goes to the edge of the computer. i have no idea whether that's possible, but it would certainly be interesting. more useful would be a sunflower-type base, which i still miss. geting rid of the chin wouldn't be particularl dramatic; the iMac would just look like any other monitor.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    i know it wont happen but i would love the 20/24 to come in silver like the pro screens and drop height so that the imac and the 20inch screen are the same height for dual screen work.

ahh i can dream
  • Reply 27 of 27
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunismine13 View Post

i know it wont happen but i would love the 20/24 to come in silver like the pro screens and drop height so that the imac and the 20inch screen are the same height for dual screen work.

ahh i can dream

yes, you can lol