Apple's third Manhattan flagship to open in Meatpacking district by year's end

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

We shall see in five years. The High Line is an extremely unique development. Paris is the only other city in the world with an elevated park in the middle of the city. Currently thousands of housing units and hundreds of new hotel rooms are being built to take advantage of the High Line, and it isn't even completed yet. Property values around the High Line are skyrocketing as major real estate developers all jocky to build on the High Line.

The brick building in all of these pictures was bought in 1986 for $800,000. Last year it sold to a developer for $12.5 million. He will build this condo on top of it. All of this is development is coming to an area that was dead five years ago because of the High Line.

To bring this back to Apple. The Meatpacking district is already a trendy shopping are that is bringing in expensive development and people will lots of money. Also Google's New York office is a block away and the IAC which owns various websites (Ask.com. Evite, Match.com, LendingTree) is nearby. Both of those heavy weights will attract other tech companies to migrate to the area.

There were (and are) a great deal of arguments about that part, and the elevated roadway downtown as well. But, look at how long the fight about the new buildings on the Towers lot is taking. If that gets through in five years, it will be a miracle. There have been numerous court battles involving parts of this as well.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Are they talking about where the restaurant Markt is (was?)?

I'm with the majority here; this area is too much about being hip and not enough about actually purchasing things. Actually, this location may reflect poorly on Apple. Do you want your company associated with overpriced designer clothes and trendy bars?

Admittedly, they might sell some iPods in the Meatpacking district, but consumers and Apple would be better served with a Flatiron location, Upper West Side Location, or maybe even a 42nd Street or Grand Central Station location.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Buildings around the High Line that have recently broken ground or currently under construction

The building designers are clearly contemptuous of window washers.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

There were (and are) a great deal of arguments about that part, and the elevated roadway downtown as well.

Yeah Rudy Giuliani originally passed city ordinance to have the High Line torn down. Some people wanted it torn down and still want it torn down. But all of that is done now and its all being built. For the most part the city supports turning it into an elevated park and had little trouble raisin the funds to do so. The first phase of the High Line will be finished next summer, and the second phase will begin construction this summer and is expected to be finished by 2009.

Most of the buildings I showed you are currently under construction, with accompanying construction photos. So there isn't much for anyone to fight against its all happening.

Most of the current conflict is between the community and how the city allows developers to encroach on the High Line itself. The last big fight was over The Standard Hotel and how it flies over the top of the High Line. I believe the solution is that the owner paid a lot of money for air rights. That is why developers are quickly buying up buildings that were already attached to the High Line when it operated as a railway. People are afraid of the High Line becoming a backyard for rich people.

Quote:

But, look at how long the fight about the new buildings on the Towers lot is taking. If that gets through in five years, it will be a miracle.

The WTC fight was something entirely different. That involved a lot of Federal, State, and local bureaucracy and a lot of input from all types of people who felt they had an opinion on what should be done with the site. From people who thought nothing should be built, the site should be left as an empty memorial. To people who thought they should rebuild the twin towers exactly as they were.

But all of that fighting is over and now its being built.

The complex is tracked to be finished by 2013

Quote:

Certainly one who has more drive in assembling this than I do

Yeah, I have an architecture fetish.

Quote:

The building designers are clearly contemptuous of window washers

Wow that's true, Someone is going to have a tough job.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Quote:

But all of that fighting is over and now its being built.

The complex is tracked to be finished by 2013

Actually, it's not. We may like to think it is, because of Spitzer's support, but I'm willing to bet that this isn't the final determination.

Quote:

Yeah, I have an architecture fetish.

I have a number of friends who are architects, and they are all over the place about thise projects.

Quote:

Wow that's true, Someone is going to have a tough job.

But, think about how much money they will be making!
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:

Actually, it's not. We may like to think it is, because of Spitzer's support, but I'm willing to bet that this isn't the final determination.

I don't want to belabor the point as this is getting way off the topic of Apple's store. But unless you have some secret inside information all reported info says its pretty much a done deal.

This is a picture of the WTC pit. They are driving steel beams that are 30 feet long and weigh 28 tons into bedrock that will support the foundation. Floors are scheduled to begin to rise early next year.

Here is an article on the company that has been fabricating the steel columns.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/203443

Quote:

I have a number of friends who are architects, and they are all over the place about thise projects.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Respectfully, what they think has no bearing on whether these projects are built or not.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:

I don't want to belabor the point as this is getting way off the topic of Apple's store. But unless you have some secret inside information all reported info says its pretty much a done deal.

Just going by what I read in the NYTimes.

Quote:

This is a picture of the WTC pit. They are driving steel beams that are 30 feet long and weigh 28 tons into bedrock that will support the foundation. Floors are scheduled to begin to rise early next year.

Here is an article on the company that has been fabricating the steel columns.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/203443

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Respectfully, what they think has no bearing on whether these projects are built or not.

Just an observation. Their opinions are no more, or less, important than ours are.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:

Just an observation. Their opinions are no more, or less, important than ours are.

Ok,
  • Reply 29 of 72
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Five years is fine. Just because it looks grungy means nothing - all that matters is that there is foot traffic. A lot of the appeal of Meatpacking (which is "so over" apparently) was its edginess - the clash between the factories and the designer clothing. However, the neighborhood is changing, and becoming a shopping destination. A division of the Whitney museum is also moving in 2 blocks south, which might create traffic in between it and the private galleries in the lower 20s. The only real problem is the distance to a subway, which is over on 8th Avenue.

But there are already plenty of hotels and shops, not all of which are high luxury. A lot are in Apple's milieu: expensive, well designed, but not necessarily snobby. Rest assured, assuming no huge real estate collapse, all of these buildings (and the High Line) will be built in the next 3 years, and Apple will be there. The only flaw is that this is off of tourist maps, and primarily the domain of the wealthy. But where isn't anymore, south of 86th street?

And, although my opinion may not matter more than the rest of yours, let me say that the Freedom tower will be built, to ruin the skyline, while the Greenwich street buildings get lost the sides. It really shows when you give an architect 6 weeks to do Schematic design on a 100-story skyscraper! I would also like to point out that the Greenwich street buildings, by using the air rights of the memorial site, will be the densest, darkest development in the history of the city.

And yes, Jean Nouvel has quite a history of spiting window washers.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I certainly hope they're using steel beams that don't melt.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    I don't understand all of the flagships!

And why does every store in New York become a flaghip?
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post

I don't understand all of the flagships!

And why does every store in New York become a flaghip?

Because New York is Apple's largest market. Both stores here are near capacity. If they add a small store, it will be worthless.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'll be first to suggest they dub the new gigantic Apple Store, the "Orchard".
  • Reply 34 of 72
    I'm wondering if this will harbor video areas for new Apple products in that line. That would need fair floorspace.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    I wonder if it's not too risky to actualy own all this space and place all bets that the business will continue to grow and nothing will happen and huge Apple mega-malls will be ever-popular... hmm. They're pouring so much money in renovation one has to wonder if that ever pays off and the exact point of it.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And at $300.00 per square foot ?

Maybe some less expensive sites, in areas where Mac's can't be purchased / seen with great ease, would make more sense!

I mean, hell a store in Portland, Maine (Maine has some of the highest number of Mac's per person in the country) - would cost maybe $45.00 per square foot ? maybe Mac's could come down in price if they start doing business like any other business person / company, and looking at the bottom line, instead of the glory of the location.

Your deep misunderstanding of retail expenditure is eclipsed only by your deep misunderstanding of punctuation.

Quote:

Mac's

visit's

area's.

Macs, visits, areas.

Why do people do this? It blows my mind. Stop putting random apostrophes in the middle of words.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

I wonder if it's not too risky to actualy own all this space and place all bets that the business will continue to grow and nothing will happen and huge Apple mega-malls will be ever-popular... hmm. They're pouring so much money in renovation one has to wonder if that ever pays off and the exact point of it.

I guess you didn't read the last earnings report....
  • Reply 38 of 72
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Macs, visits, areas.

http://www.angryflower.com/destro.html
  • Reply 39 of 72
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What are they going to do with all these high priced stores if there's an economic recession?
  • Reply 40 of 72
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What are they going to do with all these high priced stores if there's an economic recession?

In most recessions, the richest are affected the least, unless they're in the market. Especially in a city where the vacancy rates are very low and the incomes very high. These stores will still make money.