• Reply 22 of 42
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    CMD+CTRL+OPTION+8.

Especially on other people's computers.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

F9,F10,F11,F12

Just press them in a random order when you're bored and the dancing windows will brighten up your day.

hold down shift while you do it and it gets even better...
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Apple + F5 I think it is? Turn on the Voice app lol. I hit it all the time on other peoples computers right before I leave. It's real funny to do at school, the teachers go nuts because some of them don't know how to turn it off and if you do it to 20 computers with everyone moving their mouse around, it gets hysterical.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    I wouldn't say that's funny but malicious. Basically we have a small enough client base as it is, those teachers who are frustrated by such antics will never buy.

Shift +F8 got a wee bit scary for a sec
  • Reply 26 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Command-Q

That was my first instinct too. The hand lands nicely there, but since I bought my MX Revolution I have set the thumb-wheel button to do that.

A one that freaks people out is: ctrl+alt+Command+8

Probably my favourite is either:

ctrl+alt+Command+eject (Shutdown)

or

ctrl+Command+eject (Restart)
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Apple Control Shift 4

Select an area on the screen and send as screenshot to the clipboard! Very useful, and does not litter your desktop with useless picture files.

Rich
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

I wouldn't say that's funny but malicious. Basically we have a small enough client base as it is, those teachers who are frustrated by such antics will never buy.

Shift +F8 got a wee bit scary for a sec

Come on, it's kind of funny. All the teachers at my school all used macs, they all told us we should use them, but not everyone knows all the shortcuts.

and what does Shift+F8 do?...scary huh? I might have to try that when I get home...
  • Reply 29 of 42
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    F11 love having things all over my desktop. If you got all day shift F11 is funny
  • Reply 30 of 42
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    cmd + left-arrow-key = back button while web browsing
  • Reply 31 of 42
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnetomac View Post

Apple Control Shift 4

Select an area on the screen and send as screenshot to the clipboard! Very useful, and does not litter your desktop with useless picture files.

Rich

Adding the space bar into the mix here to snap just one window is pretty handy too. I use that all the time for snaping screenshots of my apps for my website.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Come on guys! This is the best keyboard shortcut EVER! How can none of your have mentioned it?!?

In any application:

Command-Comma >>> Application Preferences

Brilliant! No other OS has this.

They all were waiting for you to come up with.

Definitively CND-H
  • Reply 33 of 42
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Command+Space

Brings Quicksilver Up

Also:

Spacebar (In Quicktime or iTunes) for Play/Pause

Command+Q

Ctrl+Option+Apple+8

Every Single Function Key except F6 to F8 (the 3 useless ones for me, though Spaces will fix F8 for me )

Command+Tab or Command+`

Sebastian
  • Reply 34 of 42
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Great thread! I registered just to contribute a new shortcut I only recently discovered - in my sixth year of using OSX...

In Finder, I expect you all know that if you press command then click on the icon on the window title bar the file path magically drops down. This is useful if, like me, you tend not have the toolbar showing for aesthetic reasons. What I didn't know until the other day is that you can move up and down that file path by using the up and down cursor keys!
  • Reply 35 of 42
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    Cmd-click>Customize Toolbar. Drag the Path button to the Finder toolbar. Does the same thing and you can do it all with your mouse.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Cmd-click>Customize Toolbar. Drag the Path button to the Finder toolbar. Does the same thing and you can do it all with your mouse.

True, but this is useful if I you do not keep the toolbar in view - and it's elegant!
  • Reply 37 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I have two, and they have been altered from the default set up.

1) Command-3/Command-4 to print screen/window, respectively.

2) F12 to bring up the dictionary for words I hover over. Using the Fucntion key allows me to use t as a toggle key instead of the difficult, 3-key default setup.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    does cmd-space (re-mapped for quicksilver) count?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnetomac View Post

Apple Control Shift 4

Rich

it actually goes to the desktop. i only mention that because i think that difference makes it better than windows print-screen.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerously View Post

Same here. I also use Command-H a lot, and Command-Option-H (to hide all other apps).

Word. I am totally obsessive when controlling my open and unopened windows/ apps/ etc.

I can't go back to using Windows for anything other than games. Because even in Vista, it just never bloody seems to remember your previous window size and position.