Mac Mini --- Too quiet!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is it me or has the news related to the ole Mac mini been slow to non-existant? Maybe we'll see radically altered version of it soon?!?!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boompub View Post

Is it me or has the news related to the ole Mac mini been slow to non-existant? Maybe we'll see radically altered version of it soon?!?!?

Id say expect revised mini between santa rosa release and WWDC

I get the impression that at WWDC the focus will be on the iphone and leopard, and that hardware wise we will see in the run up to WWDC
  • Reply 2 of 49
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

I get the impression that at WWDC the focus will be on the iphone and leopard, and that hardware wise we will see in the run up to WWDC

I get the opposite impression.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I wouldnt be surprsied to see the Mac Mini disappear from the product lineup altogether.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    boompubboompub Posts: 15member
    Wouldn't that be somethiing... to see the mini disappear.

I suspect it will change dimensions to match the Apple TV size so it matches the size n style.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    anklosauranklosaur Posts: 62member
    The Apple TV is the new Mini... or at least a future incarnation of it will be.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I don't see them exiting the Mac Mini market as there are no indications that the Mini is not selling.

In fact, if Santa Rosa offers what has been promised, it would be perfect for the Mac Mini. You'd have a much faster processor with an 800 MHz front side bus, improved support for integrated graphics with the GMA X3000, and 802.11n wireless.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple only gave the Mini a Core 2 Duo once other Santa Rosa Macs hit the shelves. They wouldn't need to do any work to the existing motherboard which already supports the Core 2 Duo and it would still be a nice speed bump.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    mmcgann11mmcgann11 Posts: 66member
    I'm buying one Saturday, so a new one will ship in a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xflare View Post

I wouldnt be surprsied to see the Mac Mini disappear from the product lineup altogether.

Ridiculous. It's a big seller and likely the introduction to Macs for many switchers.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Ridiculous. It's a big seller and likely the introduction to Macs for many switchers.

Do you have any numbers to back this up. Not disagreeing, but I hear too many other people say that it's not a big seller, but they don't offer any proof either. Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Do you have any numbers to back this up. Not disagreeing, but I hear too many other people say that it's not a big seller, but they don't offer any proof either. Inquiring minds want to know.

I worked Apple retail when the mini launched and for the rest of my stay there it sold well. Again, no numbers, but as I think of comparisons the mini seems like it sold more than the PowerMacs. Granted there is a large price discrepancy and different market/consumer involved, but still it seemed to hold its own.

I wonder how much the $100 price increase and un-newness of the mini in addition to the introduction of the Apple TV has affected sales?

Remember that Apple is a company that focuses on meeting their KEY MARKET NEEDS. When Steve returned in the late 90's they talked to the shareholders about changing their strategy and getting back to basics (which is why it is interesting seeing the thread on the xMac get so large). They have the Pro market covered with the Mac Pro and MBP. The consumers/education markets are covered with the iMac and MB. I would argue that right now, SWITCHERS have become a key market need for Apple, and that the mini, which addresses the switcher issue very directly (you should have seen the training documents they gave us on how to position the mini for sale - almost all about switchers) is not going anywhere anytime soon. Or if it is going somewhere, there will be something in its place to address the same "foot in the door" market.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Mac Mini --- Too quiet!

Your title is misleading, I thought you meant its fan.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    jiggy05jiggy05 Posts: 37member
    I bought the mini G4 when it first appeared and still love it. Having a great 23' cinema display, kb, etc., I first considered the mini would just become a cheap disposable computer which I would replace every 2~3 years. BUT fortunately my mini, still working fine, will find a new life hooked to the playroom TV as an entertainment center-iLife. Soon I'll buy the new C2D mini or whatever comes out with Leopard and I'm sure my satisfaction will continue.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    The market continues to move toward portables. Considering that the MacBook isn't all that much more than the mini (nor is an entry level iMac), it wouldn't surprise me if the mini goes away if/when Apple decides to build more functionality into the Apple TV.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boompub View Post

As I immensely despise integrated graphics, I'd love it to have a real graphics card (and the C2D chip).

- Mark
  • Reply 15 of 49
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I think some people are confusing the AppleTV for a computer. It's not a computer, it's a media device. With a 1 GHz Processor and 256 MB of RAM, what are you going to do with it? Even a 1.5 GHz Core Solo Mac Mini would run laps around the AppleTV. It's definitely cool that you can get Mac OS X running on it, but just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

As for the lack of a graphics card, I guess we'll have to wait and see whether Santa Rosa and the GMA x3000 make it into the Mac Mini. It might not be as bad as we think.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    pfcurtispfcurtis Posts: 7member
    I have to agree with a previous post, the Mini could be resized to match the Apple TV planform. Then there may be enough room inside to include space for a Cablecard tuner, more memory, and all the feature required to work with the Apple TV to create a first class media center.

The Mini firewire ports will offer hard drive expansion and the included DVD player could stream movies to the TV via the Apple TV control box.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfcurtis View Post

I have to agree with a previous post, the Mini could be resized to match the Apple TV planform. Then there may be enough room inside to include space for a Cablecard tuner, more memory, and all the feature required to work with the Apple TV to create a first class media center.

The Mini firewire ports will offer hard drive expansion and the included DVD player could stream movies to the TV via the Apple TV control box.

So you need an Apple TV AND a Mini in the Living Room? That doesn't make any sense at all, and if they were to do it the best connection between the two would be FW, which is lacking on the Apple TV.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    pfcurtispfcurtis Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

So you need an Apple TV AND a Mini in the Living Room? That doesn't make any sense at all, and if they were to do it the best connection between the two would be FW, which is lacking on the Apple TV.

Apple TV needs a computer to function. It may be remote and connected by Ethernet/wireless or, the computer could be setup close to the TV and the Apple TV unit.

I assume that the cable feed is in place for the TV so it would be easy to feed the signal to a cable card in the mini. (that was a suggestion, not a prediction)

The connection from the mini to the Apple TV could be through the network cable. (or the USB port, if the ATV port was enabled)
  • Reply 19 of 49
    gandalfgandalf Posts: 8member
    Interesting talk about the Mini on Hardmac.

Mini Link
  • Reply 20 of 49
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfcurtis View Post

Sounds more and more like a Cube! Only faster with Cable....