Microsoft eyes Yahoo! in proposed takeover

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    standardstandard Posts: 3member
    And Murdoch is taking over the Wall Street Journal.

How much more evil can this poor old world take?
  • Reply 42 of 51
    a-mazea-maze Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

would there be any reason why one wouldn't be able to check their gmail through the iPhone's Safari?

-Clive

as gmail is web based a web browser as Safari will do that. the thing is push email (instantly receiving an e-mail and not checking a web page). Google already offers a kinda push email, they send you an sms when you receive an email, however i do not know if this is free and you still have to go to the webpage to check the original email.

greetings.

PS: ilounge's Jeremy Horwitz says flash based Zune is going to be presented this monday.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    the big question to me, is do the yahoo board and shareholders feel they can remain viable by themselves of need a stategic partner.....seems if the sell its for stategic positioning. i have yahoo as my home address if MS buys them i will ditch yahoo for google or other home page.

i don't use yahoo mail.

would yahoo growth and profitability get better or worse with MS.

MS is looking for ways to preserve it's cash cows,, vista, and office.

too bad apple didnt buy yahoo......but then again how would yahoo help apple

can apple iphone go enterprise without a yahoo email sync?
  • Reply 44 of 51
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Google and Apple are already tight, and Google's CEO, Dr. Eric Schmidt, is on Apple's Board of Directors. If Microsoft takes Yahoo, it's possible Apple and Google will solidify their relationship further. I don't think Apple will buyout Google or vice versa, but you can certainly expect a strong defensive versus Microsoft + Yahoo.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

the big question to me, is do the yahoo board and shareholders feel they can remain viable by themselves of need a stategic partner.....seems if the sell its for stategic positioning. i have yahoo as my home address if MS buys them i will ditch yahoo for google or other home page.

i don't use yahoo mail.

would yahoo growth and profitability get better or worse with MS.

MS is looking for ways to preserve it's cash cows,, vista, and office.

too bad apple didnt buy yahoo......but then again how would yahoo help apple

can apple iphone go enterprise without a yahoo email sync?

If the founders of Yahoo, and the Board of Directors will get enough out of a deal, then the deal will go through. Otherwise, Yahoo is doing fine.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Google and Apple are already tight, and Google's CEO, Dr. Eric Schmidt, is on Apple's Board of Directors. If Microsoft takes Yahoo, it's possible Apple and Google will solidify their relationship further. I don't think Apple will buyout Google or vice versa, but you can certainly expect a strong defensive versus Microsoft + Yahoo.

There is no possibility that Apple will buy out Google. Google is worth twice as much as Apple

There is little chance that Google will buy out Apple because Apple is worth $80 billion. That would be one of the largest, if not the largest, buyouts in history.

Too much debt would be attained.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There is no possibility that Apple will buy out Google. Google is worth twice as much as Apple

There is little chance that Google will buy out Apple because Apple is worth $80 billion. That would be one of the largest, if not the largest, buyouts in history.

Too much debt would be attained.

I said there would likely be no buying. Just tighter integration of products/services/etc. Although keep in mind, big takeovers DO occur:

SBC bought out Ameritech

AT&T bought out SBC

AT&T bought out Cingular

AT&T bought out Bell South
  • Reply 48 of 51
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    All I can visualize is a large 1000 pound tick trying to grab on to a 800 pound cow. This just gives MS more fodder to continue its parasitic business model without adding anything except market capital and a few hundred million captive end-users.

This government obviously won't make a fuss and Wall Street will play with as many Enrons and AOL-Time Warners as it can get. This version of the "ownership" economy is all about selling and buying, not innovating or improving.

I hope stockholders grow a pair and push Yahoo to be better at its job rather than throwing in the towel and cashing out. With the size of the internet there should be plenty of the room for Google, Yahoo, MS and a few others. The only reason Yahoo could be considered in trouble is to measure it against unrealistic expectations.

This would be crap for the entire industry.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I said there would likely be no buying. Just tighter integration of products/services/etc. Although keep in mind, big takeovers DO occur:

SBC bought out Ameritech

AT&T bought out SBC

AT&T bought out Cingular

It's a little different from that. SBC bought AT&T and then changed its name to AT&T.

That's a little beside the point though, I'm thinking MS Yahoo would probably only go slightly better than AOL Time Warner.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:

SBC bought out Ameritech

AT&T bought out SBC

AT&T bought out Cingular

I believe SBC bought out ATT.

Also, these companies were much bigger than Apple, so the value of their stocks was much smaller relative to their sales.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    one word: noooooooooooooooooooo!

i've been using yahoo mail for about 7 years and consider it the most straightforward and friendly free email service. if m$ funk it up like they did with hotmail, i'll be extremely angry