New iPhone tidbits surface as launch approaches

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Wow! It sure seems like they have really high expectations for the iPhone. It must be really incredible to use...

I agree with your thinking here. Aside from the fact that this device is waaay over-hyped, there's no way to truly know if it's really incredible or dumb, truly, until you hold one in your own hand yourself, and try and use it. I have no doubt it will sell millions, I think they will get that 1% by end of 2008, maybe even a bit higher, but it's one expensive item, with a storage size that doesn't please me. For both of those reasons I wont be buying one. It's not really a movie player with that storage IMO, they really needed to be 8GB and 16GB models instead for me to feel they are of worth. The real seller will be the iPhone junior, whenever they decide to make that. I'll go get one the minute they are announced. €300, same storage as iPhone, some cool features, UI, clever hardware, music and same camera.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    ai51240ai51240 Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

And why would it "demand" its own power supply and network cabling? Its too good to share a power strip with a RazR? And since its a wireless device, what kind of network cabling could you possibly need (or are they fudging the display by putting all the connections right inside, so everything "seems" real fast until you sign up for two years and realize it only works great when standing in a 3x7 booth in a Cingular store?

Without any inside knowledge of the iPhone whatsoever, I don't think it's exactly earth-shattering to imagine that the iPhone's demo kiosk will probably include an iPhone dock (which would require power) and an AirPort Extreme (which would require a network cable) hidden inside to demo the Internet features at the very least. The kiosk itself may need its own power and internet connectivity. It's amazing what people read into any discussion concerning Apple. A dedicated kiosk for the iPhone ensures that it's presented more like it would be in an Apple store, and less like the way Cingular generally presents phones -- plastic dummy cases with lame stickers over the screen.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai51240 View Post

Without any inside knowledge of the iPhone whatsoever, I don't think it's exactly earth-shattering to imagine that the iPhone's demo kiosk will probably include an iPhone dock (which would require power) and an AirPort Extreme (which would require a network cable) hidden inside to demo the Internet features at the very least. The kiosk itself may need its own power and internet connectivity. It's amazing what people read into any discussion concerning Apple. A dedicated kiosk for the iPhone ensures that it's presented more like it would be in an Apple store, and less like the way Cingular generally presents phones -- plastic dummy cases with lame stickers over the screen.

Great, but what about being able to use it in a 'real world' scenario, like testing out the data service, rather then the wifi connectivity?