LimeWire Pro -is it worth the price?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone have LimeWire Pro? Is it worth the price ($8.50)? Besides no banner ads, does the Pro version ad anything like faster download times?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Well, I paid my money for it and got NOTHING!

When I paid for it, it didn't take me to a "Pro download" website. I got the idea that they actually ship the software to you but it's been 10 days now and I've seen nothing.

I even emailed them twice and have still not heard from them.

I strongly recommend against paying them anything
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How could they make it much better than the free version is? After the Java update, Limewire's been pretty fast.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Absolutely not. Go to <a href="http://www.xlife.org"; target="_blank">www.xlife.org</a> and get Aquasition, and live happily ever after.

It's Cocoa based (NOT Java), fast, and simple, and has access to all the files the LimeWire has access to.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Thanks Graph, I'm going to try that when I get home tonight.

I am soooo sick of Limewire fu-huck-ing up my PowerMac.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    There's a new gnutella client out that's also Cocoa called "Fern". Look for it on VT. It uses Limewire's code base, but uses Apple's Java-to-Cocoa programming bridge. It badly copies (dare I say, steal?) much of the interface for Aquisition.

Which is better: Fern or Aquisition? Aquisition, mostly because Fern doesn't have an option for multiple searches... WTF?? Also, Fern seems to take much longer to connect and get a large number of available hosts.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Do these clients basically do the same thing as Carracho, or do you specifically have to set up a peer-to-peer connection with someone (like setting up a UT server for your friends to join)? Or can you just log on, find all the servers and start looking around for stuff? I don't use these type of clients because i have a shitty connection but also because, I just posted a thread about self-restraint when it comes to downloading copyrighted materials.

I'm just curious basically what the difference (functionally) between Limewire and Carracho are.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>Do these clients basically do the same thing as Carracho, or do you specifically have to set up a peer-to-peer connection with someone (like setting up a UT server for your friends to join)? Or can you just log on, find all the servers and start looking around for stuff? I don't use these type of clients because i have a shitty connection but also because, I just posted a thread about self-restraint when it comes to downloading copyrighted materials.

I'm just curious basically what the difference (functionally) between Limewire and Carracho are.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You just log on, you don't have to connect to any specific servers.