Verizon FiOS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi All,

Well the day has arrived! I have started getting Verizon FiOS ads in my mailbox. I am seriously considering kicking Comcast to the curb, but I'm uneasy about it. Looks like pricing will be a bit cheaper.

I'm a sap for new tech, but that's not really it on this one. My beefs with Comcast are:

Price: I pay $140 a month for HD/DVR/Digital/Internet and Phone. No premium channels.

DVR: While they recently upgraded the UI and features a bit, it blows. It constantly freezes for a few seconds (like up to 10) when I initiate an action, like deleting. Or sometimes, it just freezes in the channel guide or what not. It's like the box is overheating (no way, not with how it's ventilated in my unit). I've had the same problem with at least three other HD-DVRs.

HD: I have what...10 channels in HD? WTF is that? This is 2007.

Reliability: I returned my first box for a noisey drive a few years ago. Then I got another one, and now that I've moved I have another. This one is starting to just stop working every once in a while. The TV keeps saying "HDMI 1" as if it's being fed a new signal every few hours, or as if I changed the input when I did not.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has experience (first or second/third hand) that they could share with FiOS. I'm in an aparment, so I wonder if that will be an issue too. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well I'm currently renting out the lower half of a house from a friend and sharing a very slow DSL connection. I told her that she should get FIOS as it's available in Bothell WA where I now live.

I've seen plenty of good reviews...typically the service works as planned. I didn't know they would install in multi unit dwellings as I've read that Verizon yanks the copper in some cases when installing.

I think you'll enjoy it. Which I could be talking from experience.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Well I'm currently renting out the lower half of a house from a friend and sharing a very slow DSL connection. I told her that she should get FIOS as it's available in Bothell WA where I now live.

I've seen plenty of good reviews...typically the service works as planned. I didn't know they would install in multi unit dwellings as I've read that Verizon yanks the copper in some cases when installing.

I think you'll enjoy it. Which I could be talking from experience.

Yeah I am concerned about the multi unit thing too. We'll see. On the net it says it can't even find my physical address. That's typical for those "service finders" though. I read a few reviews and it seems the internet speed kicks Comcast's ass. I saw some good TV reviews too.

One negative is that it looks like they are possibly using the same motorola DVR I have. Man, what a piece of shit that thing is. And they've crippled it too (Comcast). The front A/V out is turned off and there is no option to turn it on. Anyway, I hear they have HDMI boces at least now. At present, I have a DVI to HDMI adapter for my TV.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well the day has arrived! I have started getting Verizon FiOS ads in my mailbox. I am seriously considering kicking Comcast to the curb, but I'm uneasy about it. Looks like pricing will be a bit cheaper.

I did. FiOS is great and I was getting more consistent performance than with Comcast. No copper was ripped out of my house, probably because I have no phone service with Verizon (I use Vonage). Plus it was $5 a month less even with the Comcast cable discount.

No FiOS TV so can't comment on that or the DVR. Nor with apartments.

Vinea
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Hi All,

I'm a sap for new tech, but that's not really it on this one. My beefs with Comcast are:

Price: I pay $140 a month for HD/DVR/Digital/Internet and Phone. No premium channels.

DVR: While they recently upgraded the UI and features a bit, it blows. It constantly freezes for a few seconds (like up to 10) when I initiate an action, like deleting. Or sometimes, it just freezes in the channel guide or what not. It's like the box is overheating (no way, not with how it's ventilated in my unit). I've had the same problem with at least three other HD-DVRs.

HD: I have what...10 channels in HD? WTF is that? This is 2007.

Reliability: I returned my first box for a noisey drive a few years ago. Then I got another one, and now that I've moved I have another. This one is starting to just stop working every once in a while. The TV keeps saying "HDMI 1" as if it's being fed a new signal every few hours, or as if I changed the input when I did not.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has experience (first or second/third hand) that they could share with FiOS. I'm in an aparment, so I wonder if that will be an issue too. Thoughts?

Yep, I've been using it for about 3 months now. It's faster, cheaper and more reliable. Total bliss.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    avoravor Posts: 44member
    I have Verizon FiOS (internet) in my apartment; my parents have both internet and television; I am unsure if they have the phone service also.

The internet works perfectly - I have zero problems with it. Much better than cable.

My parents like the FiOS TV much better than cable.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I read somewhere that Verizon will make serving single family detached housing their first priority, as dealing with condo/homeowners groups complicates matters. As for rental apartments, I'm not sure. The article also mentioned that they would be going after new construction for multi-family as well.

As second hand information, a friend of a friend upgraded to FiOS and is impressed. He upgraded from DSL. Not sure how it would work in multi family, but he had a new box installed on the exterior of his house which then linked to a "pretty big" modem/router in his garage. CAT6 cable was then run throughout his house. The installer even left a sizable spool behind for future upgrades. Cable isn't available yet, but he will upgrade when it's available. He compares the download speeds as faster than his T1 at work.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    I've had Fios for almost a year (yay lucky location) and I can tell you it ROCKS. Kicks comcast's butt for sure. We just switched from Comcast cable to Fios Tv. Haven't had a chance to really look at it as I'm at college but my parents have told me it looks great and that esp in the non-HD channels, Fios TV is MUCH clearer than Comcast.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    avoravor Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

As for rental apartments, I'm not sure.

I'm in a rental apartment. They wired this place up nearly a year ago. I believe many apartments in my area have been fitted for it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The cable in Florida absolutely rocked (not Comcast), and for a totally loaded package was just under $100. There was no problem at all. I am amazed and upset that Comcast could be so bad, since clearly it's not a technological hurdle.