Intel rolls out Santa Rosa notebook platform, Macs to benefit

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

If I remember right, the bus speed can be either 800 or 667, depending on whether you use 4 or 8 gigs of RAM. I believe there are now 4 slots for RAM, so using 2 gig sticks, you could get as much as 8, rounded down to 7 after Apple's remapping or whatever.

Also, it's not really the 802.11n that was so surprising about the wireless improvement, but that its range is doubled - you can access a network that would normally fizz out around 1,500 ft. almost a mile away, for example.

That is incorrect. Just a few posts above your the information was given detail, with IntlHarveter even posting a nifty, highly detailed Intel PDF document as proof.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    Well, that PDF is not a spec sheet, it's a pretty clumsy looking Powerpoint. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't swear by it.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IntlHarvester View Post

Well, that PDF is not a spec sheet, it's a pretty clumsy looking Powerpoint. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't swear by it.

It certainly is a PPT converted to PDF for the web, but since it's on Intel's site I'd bet money that the info is accurate save for a couple typos. If it were posted anywhere else I would be questioning it's validity much more.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    For those more tech savvy I suppose these are all the relevant docs, straight from the Intel site:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...umentation.htm

A direct link to the Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family:

http://download.intel.com/design/mob...s/31627301.pdf

Page 63ff has info on the System Memory Controller.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

For those more tech savvy I suppose these are all the relevant docs, straight from the Intel site:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...umentation.htm

A direct link to the Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family:

http://download.intel.com/design/mob...s/31627301.pdf

Page 63ff has info on the System Memory Controller.

For your convenience it says this on the memory controller:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intel Spec Sheet

Each channel has a 64-bit data interface and the frequencies supported are 533 MHz and 667 MHz.

Each channel can have one or two ranks populated. There can be a maximum of 4 ranks (2 double-sided SO-DIMMs) populated.

So I guess I was mistaken on the bus speed... but I'm kinda sketchy on the RAM description, can anyone interpret the maximum for me?
  • Reply 106 of 108
    Quote:

For your convenience it says this on the memory controller:

So I guess I was mistaken on the bus speed... but I'm kinda sketchy on the RAM description, can anyone interpret the maximum for me?

It mentions the 4GB maximum several times in the PDF. Somewhere between pages 40?50, I think. The 533 and 667MHz speeds you quote are for the RAM controller, not he FSB, which was discussed earlier in this thread. The PDF states the FSB speeds as 533MHz, 667MHz and 800MHz.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    mkay, I wasn't sure if that talk of double-sided and double-ranked slots could bump it up to 8 Gigs. Thanks.

Although, I didn't see anything in there about an 800 MHz bus speed...

wait, yes I did <_<

My bad. ^^;
  • Reply 108 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

mkay, I wasn't sure if that talk of double-sided and double-ranked slots could bump it up to 8 Gigs. Thanks.

Although, I didn't see anything in there about an 800 MHz bus speed...

wait, yes I did <_<

My bad. ^^;

800 bus speed is the fastest bus speed. 667 is the fastest memory supported.