Next-gen Mac graphics hardware roundup

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I was just havin some fun... no harm/ill-will was intended.

As for this site being pro-BR simply because of Apple backing BR... I wouldn't go that far... We have a pretty heated thread that seems to have a fair number of proponents on both sides of the Hi-Def DVD fence...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=69710

Cheers!

Dave

No harshness intended from my part either Thanks for the link!
  • Reply 22 of 29
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Well... going back to the subject. Answering some questions about performance. In Dx10 means it seems that ATi should be faster than the nVidia part, but it's still unproven (not enough tests can be done on Dx10 yet to be able to be sure about it)

OpenGL performance is more relevant for Macs since Mac OS does not run DirectX.

Quote:

so, taking into consideration that this generation of nVidia video cards consume a lot less power (need smaller fans -> they are less noisy -> Steve likes quiet computers) I'm prety sure that Jobs will go for the nVidia video cards this time.

But remember, Steve also likes NO fans! Could this be the reason why the standard card on the Mac Pro is only a Geforce 7300?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

need smaller fans -> they are less noisy

To be exact, use of large fans is less noisy. You need to move a certain volume of air to aircool a given component. The bigger the fan, the lower the spin speed can be while the fan is still moving the same volume of air. The spin speed is the primary factor of fan noise.

So what you actually mean is slower fans.

Carry on.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Well... now that they run Windows... the fact that they run stuff in Windows fast is also relevant, specially for gamers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

So what you actually mean is slower fans.

Yep, that's what I meant
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Microsoft has confused everyone by using "DirectX" to refer to both the software API as well as the featureset of the cards.

These features are also exposed through OpenGL, but as far as I know there's no OpenGL well to say "a card with DX10 features".
  • Reply 26 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IntlHarvester View Post

Microsoft has confused everyone by using "DirectX" to refer to both the software API as well as the featureset of the cards.

These features are also exposed through OpenGL, but as far as I know there's no OpenGL well to say "a card with DX10 features".

I can not make heads or tails of what it is your trying to say there at the end of that last sentence.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I can not make heads or tails of what it is your trying to say there at the end of that last sentence.

A DX10 compatible card has the hardware to match the newest features in DX10. It's a lot easier than listing all the new stuff. Besides since OGL updates far less often and is usually behind, it's a better description of the features of the card.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Oops -- no OpenGL way to say "a card with DX10 features" (without listing each feature individually).
  • Reply 29 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Does it actually say there is no OpenGL support? I'm doubting that is true.