iMac optical disk drive squeaks when disk is inserted and ejected?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm thinking either something is drity or I don't know what, but I made a point of only insertint good disks into my iMac since I bought it. It's just over a year old, and I didn't burn or import that many disks. I always clean dirty disks before I put them in, and I refused to put in scratched disks. In the last few days I've noticed when I stick a disk in, or eject one I hear a brief series of squeaks, like the sound you'd hear when something needs oiling. It seems to happen when the disk (CD/DVD) is being read, or when the disk is quickly coming to a stop upon disk-ejection.

I have cleaned the drive three times with the cleaning CD with brushes, and i've even stuck in a slightly damp disk with a tiny amount of disk cleaning fluid on it, both methods to no avail. I live in Ireland, so the nearest Apple store in a plane journey away, so that's obviously a no go.

It's particularly annoying, I'm guessing I shouldn't be that worried about it though, or am I wrong about that?

Anyone ever get this issue?

Anyone know what's causing this issue?

Anyone know how to solve of fix this issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm thinking either something is drity or I don't know what, but I made a point of only insertint good disks into my iMac since I bought it. It's just over a year old, and I didn't burn or import that many disks. I always clean dirty disks before I put them in, and I refused to put in scratched disks. In the last few days I've noticed when I stick a disk in, or eject one I hear a brief series of squeaks, like the sound you'd hear when something needs oiling. It seems to happen when the disk (CD/DVD) is being read, or when the disk is quickly coming to a stop upon disk-ejection.

I have cleaned the drive three times with the cleaning CD with brushes, and i've even stuck in a slightly damp disk with a tiny amount of disk cleaning fluid on it, both methods to no avail. I live in Ireland, so the nearest Apple store in a plane journey away, so that's obviously a no go.

It's particularly annoying, I'm guessing I shouldn't be that worried about it though, or am I wrong about that?

A squeak doesn't sound to me like something a cleaning CD would fix. Cleaner disks are to clean the lens of the reader, which isn't a moving part that might make a squeak. If you're comfortable with opening the machine up, I'd suggest taking a look at the drive itself, perhaps even try moving some of the mechanisms, BUT ONLY IF THEY MOVE FREELY - NEVER FORCE A PART TO MOVE. They make lubricant for electronic components, so if you pick up some of that, and put that on movable parts. That may clear it up. If that doesn't work, then consider getting a replacement iMac optical drive and just switch them out.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

A squeak doesn't sound to me like something a cleaning CD would fix. Cleaner disks are to clean the lens of the reader, which isn't a moving part that might make a squeak. If you're comfortable with opening the machine up, I'd suggest taking a look at the drive itself, perhaps even try moving some of the mechanisms, BUT ONLY IF THEY MOVE FREELY - NEVER FORCE A PART TO MOVE. They make lubricant for electronic components, so if you pick up some of that, and put that on movable parts. That may clear it up. If that doesn't work, then consider getting a replacement iMac optical drive and just switch them out.

Appreciate it!