Increase shared memory on macbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi i just buought my first mac, the new 2.16GHz macbook with 2GB of ram and was wondering if there is some way to increase the shared memory (64mb) on the intel gma 950 graphics card. I have seen computers with the same card with 128 and even 256mb of shared memory.

Also is Airport Extreme a broadband modem or just a wireless router. Has anyone wirelessly connected a hard drive to it. Is it fast enough?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Hi i just buought my first mac, the new 2.16GHz macbook with 2GB of ram and was wondering if there is some way to increase the shared memory (64mb) on the intel gma 950 graphics card. I have seen computers with the same card with 128 and even 256mb of shared memory.

The GMA uses dynamically allocated memory and assigns it as necessary up to 384MB or something. The OS X minimum is 64MB.

Quote:

Also is Airport Extreme a broadband modem or just a wireless router.

Just a router.

Quote:

Has anyone wirelessly connected a hard drive to it. Is it fast enough?

I haven't connected one to an Airport but I have to a wireless router. IMO the speed isn't that great but it depends on your connection strength. Although wifi is 54MBps, you only ever get at most 20-25 maximum because it has to do some verify step or something. This means you should get about 2MB per second transfer. I personally get around 1MB per second with the drive I use over wifi. Given that I have a portable 5400 rpm USB 2 drive that only needs a single cable and transfers at 20MB per second, the network drive is much less useful to me. It's only handy for shared space for small files between a lot of people who need simultaneous access.