Why are TV shows cancelled anymore?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    I will interject my opinion of the most recent incarnation of lost: too many fucking people died in the final episode.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How are yo finding Lost these days, to venture a phrase?

I think it's a really remarkable show. The paper I delivered was about how it makes economic, social, and technological demands on its viewers in ways that no show in history ever has (e.g. if you really want to follow the plot, if you really want to know what's going on, you have to have a Tivo and internet access and be pretty literate, etc). One respondent in the crowd made an excellent counterpoint to my position, which is that (she suggested) I was talking about expertise. I think she's largely right, but the counterpoint is simply that there's a difference between watching and enjoying Star Trek and being required to lay out all kinds of capital just to follow the damned plot of the show.

In terms of the show itself, I think they're actually going to pull it off. I like where it's headed. I like that they're answering questions again. I like that we're starting to get a better picture of it all.

I think I'm one of the few people who actually want a season of flash-forwards like in the finale; I would like to see them all back home, totally lost, and realizing that the only time they ever found purpose/happiness/meaning was when they were on the island.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    while i have purchased the season passes on itunes for lost for the last three seasons, the plot has never struck me as difficult to follow. i don't actively engage in speculation about the show since all of my suppositions have proven more or less correct over all three seasons...

maybe its success comes from the fact that they have provided escapements for understanding for people of all intelligences.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

while i have purchased the season passes on itunes for lost for the last three seasons, the plot has never struck me as difficult to follow.

You were able to get that the numbers are elements of an equation designed to predict the precise moment of human extinction and that the DHARMA group was on the island working toward changing any one of them in an effort to save humanity?

Or that the screenplay that Hurley finds was written by Gary Troup, who got sucked into the jet engine in episode one. His novel, Bad Twin, was poshumously published posthumously by Hyperion in 2006 and you can get it on Amazon.com

Or that you followed the Hanso foundation game? Did you get one of the candy bars?

The podcasts where little snippits of information get revealed?

The fuselage discussion forums where the producers contribute to discussion?

Quote:

maybe its success comes from the fact that they have provided escapements for understanding for people of all intelligences.

I agree with you there; the show functions on a number of levels.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think one of it's best strategies is to have figured out a satisfying way to parcel out revelations.

I imagine Abrams et al sitting down to do the schematic of the show, and starting with a circle that holds the central riddle. Then drawing a circle around that with the enigma that holds the riddle, another circle for the enigma and so on.

So that the "hatch" and subsequently "the button" and subsequently "DHARMA" and subsequently "the others" can all provide the thrill of revelation without diminishing the thrill of ongoing mystery, and they can do that right out through the final episode. The "extended" forms work the same way but at a tangent, sort of buds off the main circles.

I'm relieved that there appears to be some discipline involved-- I tried to watch the last season of "Alias" and found the writers so addicted to surprise twist piled on surprise twist that the thing lost all interest. I mean, "I am your mother I'm not your mother yes I am but evil but not evil but meta evil working for good working for evil you have no mother yes no" is merely exhausting, not exciting.

Lurv the flash forward. My current best guess is that the island is some kind of crossroads of fate, with your actions there having rippling effects across past and future and multiple universes or something. The show seems very interested in the "correct" through line of a life, "what you're supposed to do", and got pretty explicit on that count with Desmond's time wanderings.

Poor choices lead to the island, poor choices lead off the island, misery all around, but redemption is on the island. Have no idea how that works out in terms of plot structure.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    midwinter,

i have actually ignored the goingons outside of the actual television show -- they aren't essential for following the story line. I don't know, but i have never been satisfied with actively trying to figure out another person's fantasy framework for a fantasy world. This become irritation when the subject matter even begins to approach ideas and concepts i have been mulling over for years.

mostly, if it doesn't have evangeline lilly, it doesn't count as lost.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

midwinter,

i have actually ignored the goingons outside of the actual television show -- they aren't essential for following the story line. I don't know, but i have never been satisfied with actively trying to figure out another person's fantasy framework for a fantasy world. This become irritation when the subject matter even begins to approach ideas and concepts i have been mulling over for years.

mostly, if it doesn't have evangeline lilly, it doesn't count as lost.

While I understand about the non-television elements, my point is that those are the products of Cuse and LIndelhof and are a Lost-approved extension of the show in which large elements of the plot are revealed.

FWIW, I didn't do any of them, either.

And I agree about Evangeline Lilly, wholeheartedly.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nordstrodamus View Post

Just saw that Jericho was canceled and there is a massive online campaign to get it back, so it's at least fairly popular.

With hundreds of networks on cable, satellite, and the internet why don't popular shows just move to another venue?

My guess is that the major networks contractually forbid this when they buy from the production companies, but why would production companies continue to accept this? Is this just a racket?

Apparently pigs can fly. CBS just reversed it's decison to axe the show. First time since Cagney and Lacey in 84.

The story is that thousands of people mailed letters...and peanuts (something to do with the season finale) to CBS...as in like 25,000lbs of peanuts.

Power to the People!
  • Reply 29 of 36
    You know, I tried to watch the first episode and just couldn't get through it. I guess it gets better?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

You know, I tried to watch the first episode and just couldn't get through it. I guess it gets better?

All these "gradual revelation" serial dramas that Lost has unleashed on us are double edged: if you can get people hooked into the mythology, you have an amazingly loyal fan-base, but if people don't get into it early it's hard to pick up late comers-- who figure they'll never be able to figure out what's going on.

I did the same thing with Jericho-- it's the kind of thing I generally like, so I tried to get into it but found the early going to slow moving and soapy. If it got better later I had know way of knowing because I figured that bus had left the station, as far as I was concerned.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

All these "gradual revelation" serial dramas that Lost has unleashed on us are double edged: if you can get people hooked into the mythology, you have an amazingly loyal fan-base, but if people don't get into it early it's hard to pick up late comers-- who figure they'll never be able to figure out what's going on.

I did the same thing with Jericho-- it's the kind of thing I generally like, so I tried to get into it but found the early going to slow moving and soapy. If it got better later I had know way of knowing because I figured that bus had left the station, as far as I was concerned.

Are you a Lost fan? I got into this year on DVD for season one and two and got completely hooked. I watched Season 3, partly from iTunes for the first half of the season and then the latter half as they aired. That's the thing though...you really have to see it from the beginning...I agree there. I've never watched Jericho.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Are you a Lost fan? I got into this year on DVD for season one and two and got completely hooked. I watched Season 3, partly from iTunes for the first half of the season and then the latter half as they aired. That's the thing though...you really have to see it from the beginning...I agree there. I've never watched Jericho.

My mother came up to visit during season one and wanted to know what all the hubbub was. We said "OK. Watch the first four episodes. If you're not hooked, you won't be."

She watched EIGHTEEN EPISODES to get caught up with that week.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

My mother came up to visit during season one and wanted to know what all the hubbub was. We said "OK. Watch the first four episodes. If you're not hooked, you won't be."

My friend got me into it. I had orginally bought her a DVD set because I knew she liked it, then she told me "we're going to have to watch this and I'll get you hooked." Sure enough. I bought Season 2 like the next week.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

Heh. Same thing happened to my folks.

I guess that's the trick with these shows-- you have to make sure that people can catch up if they want to-- not just DVDs, but online networks sites and iTunes and whatnot.

I wonder what kind of money ABC makes from Lost DVD sales compared to advertising revenue from the broadcast?