MacPro Graphics Update? WWDC 07

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    Well with the release of the MacBook Pro sporting a series 8 GPU from Nvidia, I have hopes for an 8800 in the Mac Pro sooner rather than later. It would be strange (but not unprecedented) for them to spend time putting out the drivers for the 8600M GT and not use that work for an 8800 in the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    I hope you are right Pie Man. It would be nice to see an Nvidia 8800 for the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Ya, I could live with that - as long as they go big and give us a high end version.

Personally, I don't care what card or manufacturer it is. I want performance and that's really the bottom line. I'm even willing to pay for it, they just have to make it available.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

I hope you are right Pie Man. It would be nice to see an Nvidia 8800 for the Mac Pro.

• Reply 24 of 38
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Maybe it's just me, but I think that the MacBook Pro's switch to NVidia for its built-in graphics may signify Apple tiring of ATI's second-rate hardware (relative to comparable NVidia cards). I wonder if we'll see the 8800GTX available as an option for the next Mac Pro?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I think that the MacBook Pro's switch to NVidia for its built-in graphics may signify Apple tiring of ATI's second-rate hardware (relative to comparable NVidia cards). I wonder if we'll see the 8800GTX available as an option for the next Mac Pro?

Hopefully for the revamped imac......
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

You rec this may be more realistic to hope for re mac pro update

Lowest processor now two 2.33ghz dual core xeon

2GB Ram standard

300gb hard disk standard

Graphics options

Nvidia 8600 256mb

Either nvidia 8800 640mb or ati x2300 hd 512mb as the middle option

nvidia quatro 5600 as high end?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Vapour View Post

Hopefully for the revamped imac......

That sounds nice but completely ignores the iMac form factor unfortunately. It's basically a large laptop on its side - probably one reason they're using a laptop CPU in it... There's going to be no way you can fit a power hungry GPU in the thermal envelope of the iMac unless it gets a major redesign.

Here's some power numbers for example.

The 7300GS (couldn't find specifics on the GT model) is shown here as 16.1 watts. Lets assume 3X that for the GT to be on the safe side so around 45 or 50 watts?

The 8600 GTS is shown here to be 47 watts - pretty steep but with our assumption above it is probably doable.

The 8800 GTS (not GTX mind you) on the same page as 105.7 - over double the power (and heat output) of the 8600 GTS. I would be surprised if that would fit in their thermal envelope. You could probably do it, but the fans would be really unpleasant.

The 8800 GTX is shown as 131.5. Out of the ballpark completely it would seem.

ATI is currently way behind in the performance/power curve. The radeon 2900 XT competes pretty fairly with the 8800 GTS, although it uses more power than the 8800 GTX by up to 45 watts so that's definitely a no-go. The 2400 - their budget part - might potentially fit into the iMac, but it's hard to say as neither it nor the 2600 have been released yet.

So all in all I imagine the iMac would get a new GPU when it is redesigned, but it isn't going to be a good one. It will be a mid-range or budget part, or a laptop part. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of the AIO theory Apple keeps shoving upon us.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

There's going to be no way you can fit a power hungry GPU in the thermal envelope of the iMac unless it gets a major redesign.

...which is what we've been hearing is happening - a major redesign.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

...which is what we've been hearing is happening - a major redesign.

The two requirements are mutually exclusive. You'd end up with a machine that doesn't really appeal to either prosumers or the minimalist internet appliance types who typically like all in ones.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    toddaverytoddavery Posts: 12member
    What does this have to do with MacPro graphics update?

who gives a rats behind about iMacs? What is an iMac? Actually never mind that I asked because I really don't care.

So, back to my original question? Will there be a MacPro update at WWDC?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToddAvery View Post

What does this have to do with MacPro graphics update?

who gives a rats behind about iMacs? What is an iMac? Actually never mind that I asked because I really don't care.

So, back to my original question? Will there be a MacPro update at WWDC?

Obviously no one knows - but I would be really surprised. They just updated them on April 4th. It's pretty rare they do updates that close together. Also, given everything Apple is up to with Leopard and the iPhone, Steve isn't going to get up on stage and announce a graphics card upgrade to an existing machine (everything else is top of the line), it just isn't newsworthy for nearly anyone.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

Obviously no one knows - but I would be really surprised. They just updated them on April 4th. It's pretty rare they do updates that close together. Also, given everything Apple is up to with Leopard and the iPhone, Steve isn't going to get up on stage and announce a graphics card upgrade to an existing machine (everything else is top of the line), it just isn't newsworthy for nearly anyone.

I'd be surprised as well, but why does everyone say they "updated them" in April--didn't they just add a very expensive BTO option that is useful to very few people?

As I see it, they last updated them in August of last year, and the next traditional good reason to update them again will be Penryn at the end of this year (btw, is there a more specific timeframe than "toward the end of the year" for 45nm Xeons?). BUT, I don't see a reason for them not to do a very small update in the meantime so people who need more up-to-date video cards and more standard memory, for example, get something. Right?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Possibly, although they have switched back and forth for quite some time now.

One thing of note. We have a coupe of G5 Quads at work with GeForce 7800 GTs in them, and they cause a lot of crashes and kernel panics. Not so in the machines with ATI cards.

As I've gone back and forth with the tech support guys at Autodesk (Maya) and Apple, it has led me to believe that the drivers for these cards are not written very well.

If they do go with nVidia, I hope they do a better job with the drivers.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    sandylpsandylp Posts: 4member
    I've read that the ATI Radeon X2800XT with Crossfire (codename R600XTX) would be the next graphics card for the Mac Pro. I'm hoping that at least it will be added as another choice...soon.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    toddaverytoddavery Posts: 12member
    I won't hold my breath on that one.... but man wouldn't that be great?

Can you imagine the performance you would get out of Motion with that setup?!?!
  • Reply 36 of 38
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    What are the chances that the next card(s) available in Mac Pros could be replaced with an existing 1900? I have a Mac Pro and I would upgrade the gfx card if it was possible.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    hey, thanks, this post is very useful

apple ipod coupon

http://www.giftdownload.net
  • Reply 38 of 38
    im just dropping by,nice post!

ipod music download

http://www.giftdownload.net