AT&T's "Fine Edge" to boost data speeds ahead of iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

I'm only concerned because several people have pointed out sluggish performance during the MacWorld demo, which was allegedly running over Wi-Fi.

I think this was probably due to the fact that he was running an internal software build, six months before product release, and because the New York Times web site is usually slow for everybody, but there may be other reasons beyond that.

I think you're right on the reasons. If not, Apple will have some 'splainin' to do come June 29.

• Reply 42 of 44
    eric1285eric1285 Posts: 29member
    I really, really hope they have some sort of technology in there to compress web transfers, because EDGE is going to be way too slow if they don't.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    ATT is the principal devloper of WiMAX (802.16) which greatly exceeds the speeds that 3G could ever dream of achieving. With throughput ~40Mbps (10Mbps per channel) they could easily offer customers 10Mbps connections and have plenty of headroom to offer better Video based media to combat verizon's "Mobile TV" and switch to a costeffective unlimited VoIP phone service on the WiMAX network. More importantly, ATT is planning on rolling WiMAX out nation wide in the beginning of 2008. This technology uses the same attenna and protocol technologies as WiFi (802.11) which the iPhone already has. Thus I would not put it far out of reach that Apple will have already built in WiMAX support that will only need a simple flash update via iTunes similar to the MacBooks and 802.11n. Also WiMAX has far greater range (30Miles for fixed locations) than EDGE or 3G so as they outfit the towers for WiMAX it will have greater coverage than either of them.

http://www.business.att.com/service_...3-AE611113A5CC