Air Port Extreme - Anyone own one?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was told the Air Port has a better range and is quicker due to multiple antennas.

Is it worth the $179 or should I just get a Linksys for $49?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    I own one... and while I don't know a lot of the technical aspects to it I'll tell you why I bought it. I knew it would be a piece of cake to set up (plug in and go) and it had airtunes, which I also knew would be a piece of cake to set up. It was worth it to me for the lack of set-up time. I also get great signal anywhere in my 1200 sq ft apt.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    is it easier to setup than a typical linksys/netgear router?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

is it easier to setup than a typical linksys/netgear router?

I've had the 'typical $49' linksys, netgear, belkin and dlink routers over the last couple of years. Every single one of them has required a reboot, either with software or power, at least every couple weeks to keep things working. Either DHCP would fail or Bonjour wouldn't hop from the wireless to wired, or something else.

I've had the Airport Extreme N for 2 months now, and except for the initial problems with the AirDisk function, which was fixed for me with the 7.1 update. I've had zero problems.

As far as setup, I find it more logical than the others after getting used to the approach, which is quite different from the WEB based configs of the others.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

Was told the Air Port has a better range and is quicker due to multiple antennas.

Is it worth the $179 or should I just get a Linksys for $49?

The new Airport uses 802.11n which is faster and has better range - but you only get the better speed if you are using it with other 802.11n gear.

I really like mine. But I use it alongside an 802.11g router for all my legacy wifi equipment.

C.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I have one now too. I did I thread on "what router should I get" a while back when I was having problems with my Airport Express. I ended up getting the Airport Extreme (N) and I must say I'm quite pleased. I've had two ocassions in the last month where I got a momentary "freeze" or "pause" in the network...for a minute or two. This would happen constantly and require a restart of the station (Express). But, I don't think I've had to reboot the Extreme even once. I have a lot of interference in my apt. building apparently, and the Extreme handles it better. I also find that with the n spec, my Macbook moves faster for the most part. It's not crazy faster, but it's noticeably so.

I did have to reboot my cable telephony modem to get it to hook up with the Extreme, but I had to do that with the Express too. No big deal.

Anyway, I would reccommend it, especially if you use the new n spec with a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I am definately going to get the Airport, but right now I am using someone else's wireless network!

...hehe, cannot complain about free internet
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I recently bought the Airport Extreme Base Station "N." It's been a pretty frustrating experience for me, and many others.

I have the following computers to connect:

1.) iMac 24" (new)

2.) HP PC Notebook with Windows Vista

3.) PC with Windows XP.

The XP PC won't connect well with the AEBS with a wireless network card. It's less than 5 feet away, and can't hold onto a strong signal.

The Notebook PC can connect with the network, using it's wireless card.

I can't use a USB hard drive or my HP OfficeJet 6210 in the AEBS's USB port.

The AEBS won't find the printer, and it just doesn't like my NTFS-formatted USB drive.

The external USB drive is reserved exclusively for the PC Notebook because I want to access it wirelessly.

I've decided to let the XP PC use the wired network since I already have a long Ethernet cable.

I'm hanging on, and hoping for solutions to the problems with the USB drive and printer.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I about to go get my Airport a the Apple Store. Hopefully setting a PC/MacBook/Printer won't be too complicated
  • Reply 9 of 13
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soul_Survivor View Post

I recently bought the Airport Extreme Base Station "N." It's been a pretty frustrating experience for me, and many others.

1.) iMac 24" (new)

3.) PC with Windows XP.

The XP PC won't connect well with the AEBS with a wireless network card. It's less than 5 feet away, and can't hold onto a strong signal.

The AEBS won't find the printer, and it just doesn't like my NTFS-formatted USB drive.

The external USB drive is reserved exclusively for the PC Notebook because I want to access it wirelessly.

I've decided to let the XP PC use the wired network since I already have a long Ethernet cable.

I'm hanging on, and hoping for solutions to the problems with the USB drive and printer.

Doesn't Apple give you one free support call?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soul_Survivor View Post

1.) iMac 24" (new)

3.) PC with Windows XP.

Printer - can you be more specific? I set up my friends mixed environment with an HP photoprinter with no problems so maybe error message might help.

Disk - I have read that NTFS can work but we just reformated their eternal drive to HFS + and then no problems on either PC or Mac access. Maybe it should not be required but this solution works and works now.

Don't know about the XP wireless but I've had many friends over with PC laptops, different makes and models, and no problems.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have never had any problems with Linksys routers.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    abilsteinabilstein Posts: 61member
    I have an Airport Extreme N and I'm very happy with it. I've used Linksys, Netgear, Belkin and Apple routers. In my personal experience, Linksys and Netgear have really gone downhill in recent years. We have had very good luck with Belkin, and they're cheap.

However, I really like my Airport Extreme and the config software is much nicer than anything else I've used. We have connected to it at various times a Mac Mini, three Windows XP notebooks (for work, blech), Tivo, AppleTV, and a Brother HL-2070N networked printer. All work great so far. I'll soon be adding a new Macbook Pro.

I do think I'm paying a premium for the industrial design, software, and hopefully optimal compatability with other Apple products. If all you care about is network speed and range, you can probably get something cheaper that works just as well.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Just bought my xtreme and it took about 30 seconds to hook up and i running beautifully with no problems..