The iPhone's upgrade to 3G...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not really sure about this question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

When Apple decides to upgrade the iPhone to 3G, would the upgrade be through hardware or could it simply be done through firmware?

(I'm thinking somewhere along the lines as with the iPod Software Updater.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Not really sure about this question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

When Apple decides to upgrade the iPhone to 3G, would the upgrade be through hardware or could it simply be done through firmware?

(I'm thinking somewhere along the lines as with the iPod Software Updater.)

It's a hardware upgrade ... unless they're pulling another 'wireless-N' stunt.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    That's why I asked...

Although paying two bucks would definitely be worth it this time.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eric1285eric1285 Posts: 29member
    It would be a marketing / PR disaster for them to pull that kind of thing with the 3G capability. People (including myself) would hate them forever.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

It's a hardware upgrade ... unless they're pulling another 'wireless-N' stunt.

So, like, a 2.5G radio is specced at a lower bandwidth than 3G?

Well, we'll know for sure soon enough, when the inevitable teardowns commence.

Man, imagine the shit storm that would ensue if they found a 3G part in there, that was throttled in software. Reason enough for Apple to not go there.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post

It would be a marketing / PR disaster for them to pull that kind of thing with the 3G capability. People (including myself) would hate them forever.

Come again? You'd hate them for getting 3G functionality for $2, after already thinking the phone was a good enough deal to buy without it?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Come again? You'd hate them for getting 3G functionality for $2, after already thinking the phone was a good enough deal to buy without it?

Some o' these fellars have been hittin' the crackpipe too often.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Apple is strange sometimes. Why not advertise that there is wirless n? I do not believe they will do this with the iPhone because 3g would be a big selling point on a phone, at least for me. Why would they try to make their product seem worse than it is?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    3G is a hardware upgrade, there is no way Apple would have included it and then turned it on at a later date.

As for not including it in the first place, well that was just silly given the cost of the chip and the actual power consumption used by them. Same problem I have with not including a GPS chip, actually.

Not to mention having to make a new iPhone for Europe and Japan/South Korea instead of being good to go from the beginning.

Um. Topic: 3G will not be a software $2 upgrade. It will be for the next model of iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Draft N was still very new and unstable when it was released in the new macs and wasn't released until it was quasi-finished this spring. Draft N is still a draft and not finalized yet.

3G however is well tested and established technology. It would be a major selling point and really expected at this point for a "full internet device." Not really the same as Draft N at all, which was still weak and untested. If they choose to withhold it, thats fine, but charging to unlock it later would be controlling and silly. Similar to the way Verizon charges to unlock simple hardware features like wifi.

For instance, if apple had released the fifth Gen ipods with video hardware, but withheld the software for a couple of months that would be insanity? Why would they update/release that ipod in the first place? Wouldn't they just wait until they could release the finalized product?

Anyways i digress. I would also be upset if they did this. It would just be very unapple.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    People need to understand when posts are made facetiously.