.PNG Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How do you get transparency in .PNGs?

I'd like to get the background of <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/groverat/.Public/longhorn.png"; target="_blank">this</a> picture to be transparent.

[edit]

Don't just do it for me, tell me how.

(Though if you want to somehow make the image very large (say, desktop-size) I wouldn't protest)

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Tansparency can easiy be done in Photoshop. Simply open your image, create a new channel, paint in your mask, and save the image as a PNG. When you save, be sure to turn layers off and alpha on.

I assume you have Photoshop, though, right?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    test

[edit]

failure

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>test

[edit]

failure

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope you didn't judge your success or failure based on whether a browser displayed the png properly. You know, not all browsers can display transparency in pngs. The latest version of IE can, OW can. I'm not sure about the rest.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>I hope you didn't judge your success or failure based on whether a browser displayed the png properly.</strong><hr></blockquote>Oh, I'm pretty sure groverat knows IE for Windows can't display PNG transparency properly.

Don't ya'?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Awww... I just had to do it.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Probably the easiest way for a beginner is to first open longhorn.png in Photoshop, then select it all and copy it...Then create a new file with a transparent background. Use the magic wand with no-anti-aliasing, zero tolerance and contiguous settings on the yellow part. Delete it, then save as a PNG. If you want to use true transparency which oinly certain browsers can handle, don't use "Save for Web."

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The same image on the lighter background:

Open it in OmniWeb and you should be able to see the pinstripes go through the entire image.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I based the fact that it was a failure on the fact that it was a huge failure.

Starfleet, did you have to select every pixel on the peripheral of the longhorn or is there some feature/plug-in I'm missing that will make that judgement?

Eugene:

I will be trying that out on a different picture, nice tip.
  • Reply 9 of 10

--

As you can see, I just painted all the pixels I didn't want white, the magic wand missed some, apparently.

[edit]

Cleaned it up a bit.

What I ended up doing was selecting with the Magic Wand and using the pencil to re-color in the spots that had gotten pixellated when I saved beforehand. Not as time-consuming as I thought it would be.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Jesus loves you... almost as much as playing soccer and dancing with little kids.

To answer your question, I used the magic wand tool also, but I turned on antialiasing and increased the tolerance to it would make a closer edge.

Glad you figured it out on yer own anyway.