Yahoo? attacks the iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Yahoo usually "sound" advice for buy techy electronics. That is they usually (and some time adamantly) are paid articles by the tech companies. Especially with their exclusive push email service for the iphone, i thought Yahoo would be blatntently pro-apple. I just found this article on their front page though and the charges/advice are pretty hefty. Definitely not pro-apple.

Link to the article with front page pic at the end:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...uy-the-iPhone?

Thoughts?

kcd

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member
    Sounds like pretty smart advice to me, and definitely not anti-Apple at all (unless you're a shareholder banking on a big launch )
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I don't know...

The article is pretty straight forward. I thought it had some good points. Many people are getting out of their contract for this thing, and will end up paying close to 800-900 dollars just to get their hands on it.

And they're completely right about first generation products. Even Apple has a history of first generation products that are buggy.

What did you expect? If the topic is financing, of course buying a highly-priced iPhone is going to get some criticism. People will end up spending over 3000 dollars for this thing in the end. That's alot of money to be throwing around. They didn't tell people NOT to buy it. They're just telling people to think before they act.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    That's a syndicated article from SmartMoney.com, as should be rather obvious if you take a closer look. It therefore has nothing to do with Yahoo!'s own stance.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ok my bad...

however they still did link to it from their front page. It was also honest and straightforward and I thought they drank the koolaid long ago. They usually seem to offer up a lot hype themselves, so this seemed odd right before a huge friendly release, hence the thread.

kcd
  • Reply 5 of 9
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    . . . Well, there always were those rumors that MS was looking to purchase Yahoo! Maybe this is Yahoo!'s way of announcing that it's official.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    darkraildarkrail Posts: 21member
    Beyond wasting my time by stating the blatantly obvious, the author further offends with gross laziness.

From the article:

"Consumers paid $250 for a first-generation, 15GB iPod -- the same price as they would pay today for a 30GB device that also plays videos."

A 20-second trip to Wikipedia refreshed my memory that the first generation iPod was $299 and 5GB. Was there ever a $250/15GB iPod? I guess we all know the orifice from which she pulls her research.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkRail View Post

Beyond wasting my time by stating the blatantly obvious, the author further offends with gross laziness.

From the article:

"Consumers paid $250 for a first-generation, 15GB iPod -- the same price as they would pay today for a 30GB device that also plays videos."

A 20-second trip to Wikipedia refreshed my memory that the first generation iPod was $299 and 5GB. Was there ever a $250/15GB iPod? I guess we all know the orifice from which she pulls her research.

First generation was only 5GB and 10GB, coming in at $399 and $499 respectively. So this author was way off the rocker. There eventually was a 15GB, but it was either 2nd or 3rd gen.

I bought into the first iPod at $399, and I have no problem buying into the first iPhone at $599. I am out of contract, and need a new iPod anyways
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

And they're completely right about first generation products. Even Apple has a history of first generation products that are buggy.

Oh, really now. You know this how? With the exception of two eMacs, every Mac I have ever purchased was a first-generation model. I have never had an Apple problem with a first-generation Mac. Having used Macs since 1989, I am aware of no one else with first- or any other generation Mac problems caused by defects.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Oh, really now. You know this how? With the exception of two eMacs, every Mac I have ever purchased was a first-generation model. I have never had an Apple problem with a first-generation Mac. Having used Macs since 1989, I am aware of no one else with first- or any other generation Mac problems caused by defects.

I'm glad your experience has been a favorable one.

But unfortunately your alleged 18 years of expertise in first-generation models doesn't hold much merit here. Apparently you've never owned a Pippin. Or an iBook G4. Or a MacBook Pro.

I can give you the most recent example of poor first generation products as recent as the first MacBook Pro.

Better yet, go get me an egg and I'll show you myself...