Applecare auctioned on Ebay & 'Proof of Purchase'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I bought Applecare for my MBP off of eBay and registered online no problem. Now I hear of issues of ACTUALLY using the service. Whether you go to a genius bar or over the phone with TechSupport, you go through the paces then get asked 'Can we see/fax a copy of your PROOF OF PURCHASE of Applecare?' Huh? Some question if your Applecare was purchased from an AUTHORIZED RESELLER, and if not, possibly void the agreement. Has anyone actually tried to CLAIM or USE their Applecare FROM EBAY to repair their MBP? What about transferring ownership if you sell the laptop later? Results?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pvp803 View Post

So I bought Applecare for my MBP off of eBay and registered online no problem. Now I hear of issues of ACTUALLY using the service. Whether you go to a genius bar or over the phone with TechSupport, you go through the paces then get asked 'Can we see/fax a copy of your PROOF OF PURCHASE of Applecare?' Huh? Some question if your Applecare was purchased from an AUTHORIZED RESELLER, and if not, possibly void the agreement. Has anyone actually tried to CLAIM or USE their Applecare FROM EBAY to repair their MBP? What about transferring ownership if you sell the laptop later? Results?

It doesn't matter whether its from Ebay or not. The only time your asked for your proof of purchase is if you attempt to register your computer outside of 1 year from date of purchase of the computer itself.

And no, an EBAY reseller is not counted as authorized. You would need the proof of purchase from where -they- brought it from, IE, circuit city, the apple website, etc. Reason is, is because someone on Ebay could sell your out of coverage IBook a protection plan, then send you a 'receipt' saying you bought it within the first year, even if you didn't. I have no doubt theres been quite a few Ebay resellers that have offered to generate proof of purchases for any date, just to let people register.

The reason is, is that your not allowed to buy an Applecare outside of the products 1 year standard coverage. So, if you try to register it after that period, they ask you to prove that you bought it before the computers coverage expired, otherwise, you could buy an applecare protection plan a year and a half down the line, and just 'say' you bought it in the first year.

Long story short, if your computer is out of warranty, and you don't have the original, 1st party receipt, your boned. Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pvp803pvp803 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal_Emmerich View Post

It doesn't matter whether its from Ebay or not. The only time your asked for your proof of purchase is if you attempt to register your computer outside of 1 year from date of purchase of the computer itself.

And no, an EBAY reseller is not counted as authorized. You would need the proof of purchase from where -they- brought it from, IE, circuit city, the apple website, etc. Reason is, is because someone on Ebay could sell your out of coverage IBook a protection plan, then send you a 'receipt' saying you bought it within the first year, even if you didn't. I have no doubt theres been quite a few Ebay resellers that have offered to generate proof of purchases for any date, just to let people register.

Long story short, if your computer is out of warranty, and you don't have the original, 1st party receipt, your boned. Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem.

well, I just sold my 1st generation MBP with just under 2 years left on the Applecare I bought for it on Ebay. I called up AppleCare Sat. afternoon to transfer ownership of the MBP and Applecare so the buyer can be covered . The Rep on the phone put me on hold for 10-15min and later said I need to call back Monday because she couldn't get an answer about ebay purchased agreements.

just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar or if anyone requests a repair on a 2nd hand - transferred Applecare covered system. I know that the agreements are transferable, but some posts out there make me concerned the agreement is null to the buyer of my MCP. sorry so long winded.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

well, I just sold my 1st generation MBP with just under 2 years left on the Applecare I bought for it on Ebay. I called up AppleCare Sat. afternoon to transfer ownership of the MBP and Applecare so the buyer can be covered . The Rep on the phone put me on hold for 10-15min and later said I need to call back Monday because she couldn't get an answer about ebay purchased agreements. sorry so long winded.

You got a new recruit :P

Call back at some point on Monday, don't mention the Ebay part, it just confuses them. Its the same difference either way. Reason you'd need to call back Monday is the actual people you'd need to speak to to do it (or rather, she would), only have weekday hours. As long as you have your proof's and serial numbers, you'll be alright.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    yea, i thought so as well. appreciate your positive outlook on this.

one thing... proofs/receipts, so in my case a print out the completed ebay/paypal auction would suffice?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

yea, i thought so as well. appreciate your positive outlook on this.

one thing... proofs/receipts, so in my case a print out the completed ebay/paypal auction would suffice?

Nope!

Like I said, Ebay receipts don't count. It goes by the date of purchase of the original box.

Example:

I buy an Applecare protection plan for MBP on June 1st, from Crapumart electronics. Two weeks later, I remember I don't own an MBP and decide to sell it off on ebay. On June 14th, my auction begins, and on June 21st, you walk away the very happy owner of my Applecare protection plan.

As far as Apple is concerned however, the only sale that matters is the one they can directly verify, Crapumart electronics on the 1st. Thats the receipt you need to produce.

Why you ask?

I'm not 100%, but I believe the receipt contains certain ID numbers pertaining to the Applecare protection plan (henceforth APP), just like if you buy time for a cell phone, the receipt is generated to contain some numbers for authenticity. Your paypal receipt doesn't have that, it only has 'You paid for ITEM 402398432048 - APP'.

Sadly, I think in terms of your agreement, unless you can product that original receipt, your, as I said, boned.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hmm... well, i'll email the ebay seller. thanks
  • Reply 7 of 9
    To complete your transfer request, we need a valid the proof of purchase for your AppleCare support agreement. The proof of purchase we have received is an eBay purchase of the AppleCare Protection Plan from another individual.

got an email from Applecare Admin asking for a receipt/proof of purchase. they didn't accept a printout of the Paypal/eBay auction. they did ask if i happen to still have the Applecare retail box and give them the serial number off it. gotta find that box!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Right. They may be able to look it up in the purchase records if it was originally purchased directly from apple.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    so i called Applecare again, and once again they said a plan can't be transferred over to new person's name without a receipt of the plan. i got a bit frustrated and the rep connected me with a "customer relations" person. that person reiterated the same thing BUT added this caveat that no other rep gave me: regardless of whether or not the plan is properly transferred to a new owner's name, the Macbook Pro is covered by the AppleCare plan legitimately assigned to it. she said make sure the new owner of the laptop re-registers the macbook pro's serial number in their name. she mentioned it's quite possible that re-registering may not be even crosschecked, adding again that if an Applecare plan was legitimately assigned to the macbook pro, the serial number of the laptop number is all a Genius Bar would need to proceed with coverage.

get where i'm going with this? after a couple of calls and getting to the right person, i finally get a satisfactory answer. my bad causing any worry out there.