USB External Diskette Not Seen

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
"When I connect an external USB diskette drive it does not appear on the desktop as I would expect. Even if I wait 15 minutes.

It is a SmartDisk FDUSB-TM2 with G4 17"" PowerBook. What do I need to do to get this thing going?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ENowlan View Post

"When I connect an external USB diskette drive it does not appear on the desktop as I would expect. Even if I wait 15 minutes.

It is a SmartDisk FDUSB-TM2 with G4 17"" PowerBook. What do I need to do to get this thing going?

Well, we need a little more information.
    • Does it need external power?

• Are the drivers installed?

• Did you put a disk in it?

• What format are your diskettes?

• Is it plugged in? (I sometimes forget this myself. )

• Is it USB 1.1 compatible?

• Does it show up in your System Profiler?

Maybe these will help narrow down the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    enowlanenowlan Posts: 12member
    Well, we need a little more information.

? Does it need external power? \t\tNo

? Did you put a disk in it? \t\tYes

? What format are your diskettes? \tMac

? Is it plugged in? Yes, it spins up for a short time on insertion of diskette or plugging in.

? Is it USB 1.1 compatible? \t\tI believe it is.

? Does it show up in your System Profiler? Yes Mitsumi USB FDD

? Are the drivers installed? SmartDisk site: No driver is needed for Macintosh OS 9.0 and above since it is built into the operating system. Going back to the SmartDisk Site and looking more closely one is referred to Apple USB Mass Storage driver download.

Unfortunately the install aborts with the following error message: There is a problem with a program file. The format of the Check Environment plugin is incompatible with the version of this program.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You are not inserting doulbe-sided aka. not-HD diskettes (800 KB / 720 KB with one hole)? Only HD (1.4 MB) ones (with two holes) work in those drives.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    enowlanenowlan Posts: 12member
    Only HD (1.4 MB) ones (with two holes) work in those drives

That is it, Many thanks!