How do I shuffle iPod songs in one genre?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
On my Nano, I have 3 different genres, country, rock and Christian. If I want to shuffle my music but only want to hear rock today, is there a way to shuffle just the rock songs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Smart playlists are the easiest way to go. Create a smart playlist for each genre and any time you add new tracks, they will be added to the appropriate playlist automatically. You can then shuffle the playlist as normal.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

On my Nano, I have 3 different genres, country, rock and Christian. If I want to shuffle my music but only want to hear rock today, is there a way to shuffle just the rock songs?

Only 3 genres? You need some more music

Anyway, do this:

1.) In the main menu, scroll to settings and select

2.) In the settings menu, scroll to "shuffle" and click until it reads "by songs" (I think that's the first option)

3.) Click "menu" to go back to the main menu

4.) Scroll to "music" and select

5.) Scroll to "genres" and select

6.) Scroll to the genre you want, and then press play.

7.) To turn off shuffle, you have to go back to the settings menu, highlight "shuffle", and then click until it reads "off".

A different way of shuffling is in iTunes:

1.) Create playlists for each genre.

2.) Select one of the playlists (so that its tracks are displayed).

3.) Click on the left-most column title bar (the number column (this is not the "track number" column) ), so that the tracks are ordered by that column. The column title bar should turn blue.

4.) Click on the shuffle button. You should see the order of tracks change.

5.) Repeat 3.) and 4.) for each remaining genre playlist

6.) Sync your iPod

7.) When you play any of these genre playlists on your iPod, they will play in the shuffled order that was determined by iTunes. This will occur without the iPod's shuffle setting set to "songs".

I prefer using the second method as it saves having to switch the iPod's shuffle feature on and off all the time.