RE: OSX on iPhone

blfblf
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Is it true that the version of OS X on the iPhone is extremely limited and is not the full-blown OS?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blf View Post

Is it true that the version of OS X on the iPhone is extremely limited and is not the full-blown OS?

Great first post...

For an answer to your question... NOBODY here would know exactly what parts of OS X were and were NOT included in the iPhone... And if someone REALLY knew the answer he'd better be smart enough to not answer. (Apple is a tad Sue happy since... well basically forever... especially since the 'Return of Steve')

But lets think about this logically.... Would the iPhone be in a position to actually store ALL of 'OS X'? Not really... but even if it did would the iPhone need **ALL** of OS X to be ported? Not really... So its safe to assume that it's NOT the FULL OS X....

extremely limited? Who knows but I would guess they only ported the things they needed to have ported and didn't bother to port the things that they didn't need to have ported.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    blfblf Posts: 2member
    thanks for the response. why the hate?

anyway, i would not suppose this was a huge trade secret. i know apple is a stickler for secrecy but this isn't that big of a deal.

the reason i am interested is because the logical next step for this device is to replace a laptop. walk into your office and drop it into a cradle and your desktop opens on your 23" monitor. sam thing when you go home.

those who see this as merely an iPod or a phone are limiting their vision.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

anyway, i would not suppose this was a huge trade secret. i know apple is a stickler for secrecy but this isn't that big of a deal.

the reason i am interested is because the logical next step for this device is to replace a laptop. walk into your office and drop it into a cradle and your desktop opens on your 23" monitor. sam thing when you go home.

You are making guite a jump here, even laptop computers haven't really nailed this, and neither will phones anytime soon. Portable devices have so much more limited resources, at least used to have, to really be viable desktop replacements. iPhone has only 8gigs of memory, thats barely enough for mp3:s, good luck trying to installing Office on it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

No hate... I'm sometime put off when people post a question that was already addressed and could have been answered with a simple search of the forums...

Here's just one of the many that have broached this topic (at great length). This is a Mac site after all and you'd have to know everyone and their brother (thats a member) would have asked a similar question...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=1023435

Post #25 in that thread seems particularly insightful...

Anyway...

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 5
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Quote:

That is a good question and a great theory, but imagine as soon as you plop your iPhone down, hook it up to a 23" monitor, your going to be doing things at an iPhone pace. You don't have a 1.8 GHz processor or 2GB of RAM your working with, its very minimum. Hell, imagine running World of Warcraft on your current cell phone.

It's a good thought, but your probably thinking 15 years in the future.