Apps You Wish Were on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Can it do video recording? If so, Photobooth would be fun but I bet it doesn't have enough CPU. I agree with the productivity apps, especially Office/iWork stuff. Hopefully it will work with web-based office apps. I'd like to see what kind of HARDWARE add-ons Apple allows. Bluetooth GPS add-on for example, or the ability to add more space via a flash card...a BT keyboard...etc. Also I'd say iChat is a biggie. REAL pathetic how they don't include it. Of course I'm sure AT&T is probably at fault for this, wanting their $MS cash cow to be used.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

Minesweeper anyone?

I already developed a Minesweeper widget here and can easily port it for iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Maybe you could use http://www.dictionary.com and look up the word "sarcasm."

No need to, I knew what you meant.

But I was being serious, not sarcastic. Photoshop on iPhone would give "fingerpainting" a whole new meaning!

• Reply 24 of 44
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Interactive VirtuaGirl.

Like Tamagotchi for grown ups.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly

OPENGL

Core Animation wouldn't work without it but an API that actually gave you access to it would be nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by n3o

Boot Camp.

Now dual boot Windows CE so you can play games. Nothing changes.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    - Ability to take "screenshot" or "save as PDF" for offline viewing (or just cached webpages, whatever)

- GPS app

Google has one for free for Symbian. It will sync with just about any Bluetooth GPS device and then download the maps via any available connection (Wifi, gsm, edge, umts, etc etc).

- Word/Excel/PPT reader
  • Reply 26 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm wondering if the iPhone will have ALL the same features that iPods have, such as the ability to hook up a camera connector to store/transfer/view digital camera photos, FM radio when the remote is connected, etc. If so, this thing will be chalked full of stuff already!
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hockey2891 View Post

I already developed a Minesweeper widget here and can easily port it for iPhone.

And how would I play it successfully without blowing myself up? I can only speak for myself, but I don't have the small asian hands that are necessary to play this game on the iPhone...
  • Reply 28 of 44
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I'd like to put my own apps on the phone. This would be a great mobile computer for music stuff I do. less obtrusive than a pocket notebook (paper kind) and way more versatile.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

And how would I play it successfully without blowing myself up? I can only speak for myself, but I don't have the small asian hands that are necessary to play this game on the iPhone...

I said that I can and will quickly port it for iPhone, meaning bigger buttons, iPhone look, multi-touch based.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I can't believe nobody else has said Skype yet!
  • Reply 31 of 44
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I can't believe nobody else has said Skype yet!

Skype?!?! Hmmm isn't that some proprietary implantation of a SIP client? If so then I'll pass on that and wait for the real thing to show.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 44
    newmaqnewmaq Posts: 17member
    I would love the ability to show keynote presentations at work, where pc's dominate the landscape. This would be a nice way to showcase the quality of Apple products/software in a pc dominated world. You would also need a clicker so you can walk the room while giving your presentation. It just might grab the attention of the vp's pecking away at their blackberry's.

brentquebman.com
  • Reply 33 of 44
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Apple's next video iPod (iPhone without the Phone part!) will have a cam on the front and iChat client!
  • Reply 34 of 44
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Newsfire/RSS- I like Google Reader just fine, so I hardly think that is necessary, although Google Gears would be ideal.

Delicious Library- if you just want to see what you have, then publish to the web. Adding things would be nice. Coverflow view would be nice.

Omnioutliner- agreed, but again, something I would rather have online and syncing back to my own computer; perhaps a Web 2.0 app would be better? I find my use of Omnioutliner decreasing because of the lack of portability.

Skype- definitely not going to happen, Cingular would send black helicopters to make you disappear. Plus I don't know if it would work well over EDGE.

IM- hugely disappointed by the lack of iChat. Perhaps Meebo or another IM site will come out with a portable friendly version. Ideally multi-client.

Viewer- definitely needed for doc and pdf files.

Flickr- why is the web and e-mail ability not sufficient?

So I do think that Apple is right that web apps can provide much of the needed functionality, despite being clunky interface wise.

The main thing is since it is mobile, web apps actually make more sense. No need to sync. Problem is offline editing and the crappy decision not to include 3G speeds.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    1. GPS - okay, that is hardware so maybe it doesn't count.

2. Video Recording - it is probably there already but I haven't seen anything verifying this

3. Audio Recording - I would like to be able to record meetings without wasting the memory space on video

4. Dragon Naturally Speakng or some other decent dictation program.

5. Stopwatch/timer
  • Reply 36 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

I actually agree on the Delicious Library front—if the iPhone camera can process barcodes

I'd like to see someone write an iPhone Safari app that would read the photographed bar code, then check prices on a specified number of web sites.... the app would be called "PriceCheck™". Would be great for checking competitive prices at any retail store, including groceries. Remember folks, you read it here first.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    How about a universal remote...or at least an extended Front Row/@TV remote.

Query: Will Salling Clicker be able to be ported to the iPhone?

Beyond that, it's not so much an app, but an abilty I'd like. Say you have a movie or TV show or song (how about that) in your iPhone. I'd like @TV/Front Row/iTunes to be able to see it as a source and stream it.

iChat would definitely be a good selling point, since it'd be a nice option to use during Cingular's peak hours.

And, oh yeah, World of Warcraft...
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

No need to, I knew what you meant.

But I was being serious, not sarcastic. Photoshop on iPhone would give "fingerpainting" a whole new meaning!

I'm working on an iPhone app now, iPhonoshop, which will look basically like Photoshop CS3, with tap-and-drag doodling, importing an image from the web to doodle on, both landscape and portrait modes, and more!

This is a huge Javscript app, and I am hoping to have it done before the launch. All my iPhone apps will be availablehere.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    danboydanboy Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmacmacmac View Post

http://iGiki.com has announced a lot of applications.

some of those games look sweet. i'm in. i already hate that sink or swim game enought to wanna buy it.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Funny that I haven't seen this brought up already, but I just thought of it.

Like so many people I know, I use my cell phone as my alarm clock. Does anyone know if iPhone will have an alarm clock app (maybe one that can wake me up to music )? If not, come Friday I'm going to have to go out and buy a physical one (eew).