DVDs, region codes, burning, etc...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So, I'm here in Russia, and I've been buying a lot of Russian films, and some of them are in Region 5, and others are apparently unlocked. I bought many of them, believing that the DVD drive on my PowerBook was able to read several regions. But this is not so anymore, apparently.

I can change the region, but only 5 times, before god knows what stupid things happen. I want to buy an external dvd drive, but I figure I should get a DVD burner as well.

The question is, if I get an external drive and set it to region 5, will I only be able to burn my own movies in region 5, or is that unfair trade bullshit spared from noncommercial products?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

The question is, if I get an external drive and set it to region 5, will I only be able to burn my own movies in region 5, or is that unfair trade bullshit spared from noncommercial products?

You can most likely burn in any region. I know in DVD Studio Pro you set the region in the software. And in Toast you are only burning data to a DVD in Universal Disc Format.

Don't think I have ever tried burning a different region. But I would be very pissed if I got a job to author a DVD for someone in Europe or Japan and then I get to the authoring and burning the DVD phase and find out I can't burn it to the region I need to because my system is set up to read Region 1.

That would make me 99% sure that you can burn in whatever region you need no matter what you are set up to read in.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    bluesblues Posts: 40member
    Look, I'm that kind of dude who uses OSS and does burning from CLI. Meaning I do not know a thing about that fancy software sold with/for proprietary operating systems. All my burners and readers are flashed to regionfree, no problem here.

Some reading: http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Do not change the region on region-locked drives, after fifth time it remains locked on the last region used and it may be impossible to zero the counter.