Combined iPhone service and data plans to start at $60 per month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mini.boss View Post

No mention of nights and weekends?

Somewhere else I read the $60 plan includes 5000 night/weekend minutes. The higher priced plans come with unlimited night/weekend minutes.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Where have you seen this. I use to use my smartphone as a modem, when I had unlimited data. It was slow as hell, but it did the job. I never noticed any cap. I find it hard to believe they will limit the speed, because Edge is slow as hell to begin with. I'd like to hear more on this if you have any more information.

You all need to read the fine print on these things.

Taken from the AT&T site on their data connect plans. I highlighted the good parts.

Quote:

Permissible Uses: Data Service sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) corporate intranet access (including access to corporate email, customer relationship management, sales force automation, and field service automation applications). PROHIBITED USES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, USING SERVICES: (I) WITH SERVER DEVICES OR WITH HOST COMPUTER APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WEB CAMERA POSTS OR BROADCASTS, CONTINUOUS JPEG FILE TRANSFERS, AUTOMATIC DATA FEEDS, TELEMETRY APPLICATIONS, PEER-TO-PEER (P2P) FILE SHARING, AUTOMATED FUNCTIONS OR ANY OTHER MACHINE-TO-MACHINE APPLICATIONS; (II) AS SUBSTITUTE OR BACKUP FOR PRIVATE LINES OR DEDICATED DATA CONNECTIONS; (III) FOR VOICE OVER IP; (IV) IN CONJUNCTION WITH WWAN OR OTHER APPLICATIONS OR DEVICES WHICH AGGREGATE USAGE FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES PRIOR TO TRANSMISSION; (V) USING THE SERVICES FOR ANY ACTIVITY THAT ADVERSELY AFFECTS THE ABILITY OF OTHER PEOPLE OR SYSTEMS TO USE EITHER THE SERVICES OR OTHER PARTIES' INTERNET-BASED RESOURCES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF NETWORK OR SYSTEM RESOURCES (WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL) AND "DENIAL OF SERVICE" (DOS) ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER NETWORK HOST OR INDIVIDUAL USER; OR (VI) INTERFERENCE WITH OR DISRUPTION OF OTHER NETWORK USERS, NETWORK SERVICES OR NETWORK EQUIPMENT. EXCEPT FOR CONTENT FORMATTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH AT&T'S WIRELESS CONTENT STANDARDS, UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE. Service is not intended to provide full-time connections, and the Service may be discontinued after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage. AT&T reserves the right to (i) limit throughput or amount of data transferred, deny Service and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network and (ii) protect its wireless network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are not for resale.

• Reply 23 of 126
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

You all need to read the fine print on these things.

Taken from the AT&T site on their data connect plans. I highlighted the good parts.

Totally expected and reasonable.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    All sounds really good to me. I hope we get something along those lines here in the UK. I already pay more than that and I don't have a data plan!

I'm drooling!

• Reply 26 of 126
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    One thing you FAMILY PLAN folks will want to consider...

Each additional iPhone line is $29.99 per month and not 9.99... The extra $20 is for the unlimited data... I didn't realize this at first and also the iPhone FAMILY PLAN PRICES only include ONE SINGEL LINE... I could swore they used to include TWO lines in the base price...

So the $80 iPhone family plan will cost you...

$89.99 for 1 iPhone and 1 non-iPhone (80+9.99)

OR

$109.99 for 2 iPhones (80+29.99)

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also Tuesday, Apple and AT&T announced that iPhone purchasers will be able to activate their new phones from the privacy of there own home.

[c][ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Really? From that there home?
  • Reply 28 of 126
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

All sounds really good to me. I hope we get something along those lines here in the UK. I already pay more than that and I don't have a data plan!

I'm drooling!

Unfortunately, I bet we'll get fleeced again

At the moment on 3, I pay £26.50 a month, which gives me a certain amount of credit, which I can use flexibly to get however many voice minutes or text messages I need. However, it doesn't include any data, which seems to be expensive on all providers here in the UK.

I guess we have to hope that Apple will only strike a deal with someone who will provide data cheaply in the plan, because it's integral to the iPhone experience.
  • Reply 29 of 126
    My current Cingular/ATT plan for data and SMS is costing me $30/month. This new plan will save me $10 per month. I guess I'll be in line after all.
  • Reply 30 of 126
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Each additional iPhone line is $29.99 per month and not 9.99... The extra $20 is for the unlimited data... I didn't realize this at first and also the iPhone FAMILY PLAN PRICES only include ONE SINGEL LINE... I could swore they used to include TWO lines in the base price...

OR

Dave

If this is true (no data plans for non-iPhones on family plan) that makes it much easier for me to handle. Not sure if ATT will let non-iPhones slide on the data plan though. When we first opened the family plan, all phones had to have the same data plan.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I am in favour of paying one Internet rate for combined use on my home computer and iPhone.

Hence my 60$ question: is the unlimited data (email/web) also applicable to your home computer? Or are you paying both seperately?

It is a bummer though that you do have to enroll in an expensive subscription program (60$/month = 1 iPhone every 10 months) in order to acquire what also happens to be an amazing all new widescreen Video iPod. Cingular should be (very) grateful to Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    These plans seem to be perfectly reasonable, including the restrictions on the data connections, which is just intended to keep those very few from hogging the network, and shouldn't affect any normal usage. Every other company has similar restrictions.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    theveebtheveeb Posts: 17member
    The activation video shows that you can add 1500 SMS msgs for $10/month and unlimited SMS for $20/month.
  • Reply 34 of 126
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Wow, the 60$ plan is cheaper than the already discounted (corporate discount) and similar voice+data plan I have now from Verizon Wireless (although I get unlimited nights & weekends)!!!

IMO, the bundling of data and voice in the plan is a game-changing move made by Apple/AT&T it will incite people to buy the iPhone and encourage them to use the browser more when they get it.

I would expect that other carriers will soon follow with similar plans(at least for smartphones).
  • Reply 35 of 126
    ci0002ci0002 Posts: 23member
    Check out the AT&T plans now on the Apple website. An obvious error in frame sizing, the Visual Voicemail says 200 per month and 5000 text messages.

Apple better fix this quick
  • Reply 36 of 126
    nerudaneruda Posts: 440member
    Looks like current AT&T customers get the best deal. Makes it easier to existing customers to buy the iPhone. Good move.
  • Reply 37 of 126
    tumblertumbler Posts: 4member
    Anyone think it would be possible to run some version of Skype on this phone? I've never used it, but remember it being an actual program that had to be installed. It might be interesting if someone could adapt this to run on the iPhone or if a web version was created so users could call other people on Skype for free using the unlimited data plan. Realistic or crazy?
  • Reply 38 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Unless you are one of the idiots that have frequented these posts with nothing that Apple and AT & T have planned to destroy the world.

I hate those people! They're almost as bad as those idiots getting hard-ons about the iPhone, even though they haven't even used one yet! They suck!
  • Reply 39 of 126
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

OR

Dave

that was my question too.

I want (1) iPhone + (1) non-iPhone on family plan.

$100 + UNLIM SMS ($20) + $10 (extra line) = $130/M

does that sound right?
  • Reply 40 of 126
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpt K View Post

I think this also means that the SIM is hardwired into the phone?

For the nine-millionth time, there is a removable SIM-card slot on the top of the phone. Steve showed it the very first time the iPhone was displayed.