Apple web application lets you track iPhone availability

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just when you though you'd heard enough about iPhone ahead of tomorrow's launch, Apple's here to tell you there's more. The company has developed a small web application that will let customers check up on availability of the device at its 164 national retail stores.

The Apple retail availability tracker allows iPhone seekers to select their state of residence and will then display a list of Apple retail stores with iPhone availability indicators. A green dot next your local Apple store means iPhones are in stock while a red dot will indicate a sell-out.

Unfortunately, Apple only plans to update the tracker on a nightly basis. Therefore, shoppers may want to supplement the information available on the site by placing a call to their local Apple stores just before making the trip.

A separate section of the same website also informs iPhone shoppers on how to "get the most out of iPhone," offering a list of free workshops covering the basics and beyond.

Additionally, the Cupertino-based company notes that its One to One members will have access to private tutorials on everything from how to sync their iPhone with iTunes, to sending and receiving email and searching the web.

Reservations for One to One tutorials can be made up to 14 days in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Unfortunately, Apple only plans to update the tracker on a nightly basis. Therefore, shoppers may want to supplement the information available on the site by placing a call to their local Apple stores just before making the trip.

I can see it now, People driving around refreshing that site at midnight on an iPhone trying to figure out where to camp out to buy their 3rd and 4th phones..
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Who else thinks that theres going to be bets going online by tomorrow morning on whos gonna run out first?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Lame. I want real-time stock levels with NUMBERS!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Reservations for One to One tutorials cane be made up to 14 days in advance.

Cane they?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Also, would Apple/ATT be happening to hold back some of their stock so they can spread it out over a few days? Sell maybe 1/2 of the stock on hand Friday and save the rest for over the weekend?

No. I have a feeling they are going to sell as many as they can. Why else would they be extending times for every retail store?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    I would love to see that same image tomorrow night after its updated. Will they all be little red dots or no? Also, would Apple/ATT be happening to hold back some of their stock so they can spread it out over a few days? Sell maybe 1/2 of the stock on hand Friday and save the rest for over the weekend?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I'm not really sure how I just replied to a post in the future.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Sheesh, Apple is putting a lot of eggs in one basket. This phone better be a hit, or Apple's name will take a hit. The iPod didn't start out with marketing like this.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Sheesh, Apple is putting a lot of eggs in one basket. This phone better be a hit, or Apple's name will take a hit. The iPod didn't start out with marketing like this.

No, but this really is an extension of the iPod in many ways. I know an "MS fanboy" who has never owned a persoanl cell phone or a smartphone, an iPod or any other MP3 player or an Apple product of any kind, ever. yet he is getting an iPhone.

That tells me a great deal about the impending success of the iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

I can see it now, People driving around refreshing that site at midnight on an iPhone trying to figure out where to camp out to buy their 3rd and 4th phones..

Buy the first two iPhones, stash them in your car, then throw on a fake moustache and get back in line to buy another two. Since you don't need to activate in the store unless you get the same person you should easily be able to buy more than 2 phones at the same store.

Looking at where my Apple store is, there are two ATT stores also shown at the ATT website as selling iPhones on Friday. So that's 3 stores in the same indoor mall that will have iPhones for sale.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, but this really is an extension of the iPod in many ways. I know an "MS fanboy" who has never owned a persoanl cell phone or a smartphone, an iPod or any other MP3 player or an Apple product of any kind, ever. yet he is getting an iPhone.

That tells me a great deal about the impending success of the iPhone.

Wow, talk about being set up for a letdown. He's had none of those things, then buys an iPhone expecting to get the greatest device ever conceived by man? Then what happens when he starts asking silly questions like "So it goes on the web, makes phone calls, and plays music. Great. But is that all there is?"
  • Reply 12 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Wow, talk about being set up for a letdown. He's had none of those things, then buys an iPhone expecting to get the greatest device ever conceived by man? Then what happens when he starts asking silly questions like "So it goes on the web, makes phone calls, and plays music. Great. But is that all there is?"

Perhaps. I'm waiting for him to call me up looking for the Start button and how to map a network drive.

Seriously, I think that many non-Mac users will purchase the iPhone and then decide that they want a Mac as their next machine.

$180 per share by year's end? Ant takers?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    What about ATT stores?

If you're in line you can post the availability/wait status at http://www.waitingforiphone.com/my-wait/. Also check out blogs, news, and the official atomic clock countdown timer.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps. I'm waiting for him to call me up looking for the Start button and how to map a network drive.

Seriously, I think that many non-Mac users will purchase the iPhone and then decide that they want a Mac as their next machine.

$180 per share by year's end? Ant takers?

I'm more curious about the shares of Kleenex and Jurgen's Hand lotion once you buy yours!
  • Reply 15 of 21
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    PBG4 dude: guess i'll see you at westfarms tomorrow night?

if the line is ridiculous i'm just going to go home and order one online.

...a little more on-topic, what's the point in a website designed specifically to show availability of a product on it's launch day that's refreshed once every 24 hours?

all green on friday, all red on saturday. i want live feeds w/ exact quantities!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Yep, I'll be at Westfarms. Don't plan on buying an iPhone but would like to check one out. Won't be doing anything crazy like waiting in line or anything.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    2pm Saturday and it looks like every Apple store has stock, I took a minute to go through all the states. The little AT&T "iPhone finder" seems to show several locations that have the device.

Is there a good check-off todo list in this thing without having it associated with a date & time? I've watched the videos and they didn't cover that. I use a regular PDA primarily for shopping lists, as well as handle contact information. I'll keep digging.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Universe Man View Post

Lame. I want real-time stock levels with NUMBERS!

Why? You're either nuts or you work for Microsoft... or both.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why? You're either nuts or you work for Microsoft... or both.

I think the MS angle that you present assumes the sales are low. If you think the sales are high, let's say 1 million sold in the first week, then that would be quite an embarrassment to MS with respect to their sales predictions and actual results with respect to their portable media device.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    It would be nice if they listed if they had the 8gig, 4gig, or both models in stock.

I would be pissed if I got down there and they only had the 4 gig in stock.