iPhone: Reporting from...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
...Charleston, SC.

Was just out and happened to drive by an AT&T store. The parking lot and entrances to the building's stores are on the rear side of the building, but I noticed a police car stationed at the entrance to the parking area. Upon return I decided to swing into the lot to see if here in little ol' Charleston there was really an officer stationed for this event.

Sure enough, as I entered the lot, there was a line forming (4-5 deep at this point, 9:30 a.m.), an officer stood at the entrance, and stanchions were placed along the sidewalk to define the waiting area.

I have to say I was surprised, but I don't know why. Clearly, this is going to be a very successful launch.

Any other reports out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chetnikchetnik Posts: 15member
    Well, Im in a mall. But at first almost all of the security was watching over us. But after 2 hours (or so... I really can't remember!) we still have about four guards watching over us! Well the apple store gave us free smart water... so Iwould say it is pretty succesful!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post

Well, Im in a mall. But at first almost all of the security was watching over us. But after 2 hours (or so... I really can't remember!) we still have about four guards watching over us! Well the apple store gave us free smart water... so Iwould say it is pretty succesful!

Where are you and how many are in line with you?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    well. im in virginia. but there have to be at least 100 people BEHIND me in line. in front of me, around 20 people. So unless you want to drive a couple (like 8 guesssing if you are in charleston) and miss the sale... than feel free to come on. Hope that helps. Sorry, im writing this from the inside of a apple store. Im kinda rushed here :P
  • Reply 4 of 15
    11:16am EST King of Prussia, Pa

We got here bright and early (6:45am) to wait for the highly anticipated release of the Apple iPhone.

There were a couple of people in line already so we are officially #5, #6, #7.

Check back for updates, pictures, and watch the video on our YouTube chanel http://www.youtube.com/liquidvitamins the pictures now and updates during the day at:

http://www.squidoo.com/iphon

There are about 80 people behind us right. as of 11:16 am EST
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Oh. We also had a camera crew from USA Today come on by and intervewed me! It is now so busy with a really long line! Its pure insanity! Well good luck guys, lets all get an iPhone!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Norfolk VA

Just got a live update from the Gal who answered the phone at JCrew across from the Apple Store @ the Mac Arthur Mall-Not as big yet as the opening line but its there!

Then we had a chat bout bout all thing iPhone...

I will head out later today....
  • Reply 7 of 15
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Reporting from the Apple Store at Valley Fair Mall in San Jose CA. I just dropped my 16 year old son off to stand in line for me. There are already about 150 people in line. Security is being very helpful. They are keeping the lines in order with red line dividers and are handing out smart water to everyone that wants it. My quick observations are a line full of diversity. Lots of moms and pops as well as a healthy serving of computer nerds with associated body funk. A full complement of camping chairs and even four Segways. To top it all off Woz was in line and he must have gotten up early because he was near the front. I will relieve my son around 5PM. I will update the situation possibly even pics when I get there.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jroller View Post

No way..! Somehow I don't think Woz would have to wait in line.

I know Woz and he is in line. I have always heard that he obtains ALL of his Apple gear thru regular retail means so he gets a good feel for what its like to be an Apple customer. He certainly is doing that this morning.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...la-home-center
  • Reply 9 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jroller View Post

Maybe he's there to show off his Segway? I thought as part of his agreement when he left Apple was that he received one of every new Apple product for life?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bspears View Post

To top it all off Woz was in line and he must have gotten up early because he was near the front. I will relieve my son around 5PM. I will update the situation possibly even pics when I get there.

• Reply 11 of 15
    Well at the mall im in, they wont let us have chairs... and we cant sit on the floor either so we have to sit on a small one inch railing. But other than that, we hd some emo kids play some music and got scared out by security and told them to leave. The apple store also has given us smart water... I just haven't got around to opening it yet :P But its crazy packed in here!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

What is "smart water"?

It's a brand name... SmartWater
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

What is "smart water"?

• Reply 14 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    What is "smart water"?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

What is "smart water"?

If you were as smart as the water, you'd already know.